View Poll Results: Can Colonials uphold more than one Celto-Germanic tradition at a time?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 41.51%
  • No

18 33.96%
  • Not sure

7 13.21%
  • Don't care

6 11.32%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Can Colonials Uphold More Than One Celto-Germanic Tradition at a Time?

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 12th, 2020 @ 01:36 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    British Isles
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid/Atlantid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Politics
    Traditionalist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    The majority of Canadians are already Catholic.
    Until the turn of the 20th century, the only Catholic presence in Canada was largely confined to the French populace of Quebec, and small pockets of Irish in Ontario and the Maritime Provinces. At that time, the country was overwhelmingly Protestant, with Canadians of English, Scottish, Ulster-Scottish, Welsh, German, and Dutch birth or descent almost exclusively professing the Reformed faiths. The massive inflation of Catholicism in Canada subsequent to 1900 is the result of the arrival of waves of Italians, Poles, Hungarians, Portuguese, etc. I must also thank you for illustrating my point perfectly; old-stock Canadians, for the most part, retained their Protestant religion, and there were little or no conversions to the Catholic Church, the latter remaining an alien allegiance to the original, non-Francophone settlers of this nation. The large-scale influx of Catholic, non-Celtogermanic Europeans was just one more hurdle that Anglo-Canadians swept aside to preserve their identity.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loyalist For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 @ 11:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MockTurtle View Post
    Perhaps some don't, but do you really believe that this applies to all of them? I remember an article awhile back from a recent Jamaican immigrant who believed 100% in her 'Englishness'. Furthermore, do you think most native English people would openly say that they don't consider someone like her truly 'English'? Based on my own observations from my time in England, somehow I find the idea that they would a little difficult to believe.
    I think that they may say it more tactfully than that but I doubt they'd actually believe her to be fully English per se.
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Note to self - don't bother creating a thread with a bout of hayfever and nagging kids on holidays! LOL

The differing opinions in itself sums up the complexity of the question, and I was interested in finding out from the more colonial viewpoint of what Germanic preservation entails.

Here is how I feel about it - as an Australian under the dominion of a British Territory, no less! I may have trouble conveying what I mean at times, but it doesn't mean that I don't know what I'm thinking.

Nobody likes an expert, Talan, it's lonely at the top! Enough said.

Australia was founded as a penal colony, with the inclusion of English, Irish and Scottish Gentry, governing bodies and convicts. By a technicality, this country was already multi-cultural - multi meaning more than one of anything. These races are distinctly different, yet also compatible with one another.

From my perspective, I'm still figuring out from where I draw my early values. Please, don't mistake this for confusion. It's more of an awareness process that allows me to take more note of what works for me and from where. I'm proud of all the various aspects of my heritage. I'm also aware of the fact that the early Australians have set the tone for this nation to have evolved with its own identity, having been away from Europe for so long it's a natural progression for colonial countries to take this step.

I'm a reconstructionist Heathen nowadays and I draw my values mainly from the Norse pantheons. There are some amazing challenges with this, including a practise that stems from Northern Hemisphere traditions. Before that though, and to some extent still, I would've upheld more of my Irish heritage. It's not impossible for the Celtic and Norse traditions to meld, as they are very similar, and this works for me.
    Dick Dastardly: "MUTTLEY, DO SOMETHING!!!!"
    Muttley: "Hehehehehehehehehe"

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Well said Mischak.

to be honest I resent them in a way for leaving their country and denying their children and grandchildren their heritage and culture, something they definitely had a right to.
    I'm with you on this one. Emphatically so.

Just serves to remind us all of how careful we must be when making life decisions that we think are ours alone to make... so many more people are affected by these decisions than just ourselves... people who are yet to be born... people who we have a responsibility towards.

Nobody likes an expert, Talan, it's lonely at the top! Enough said.
    Awwww... come on... don't be so mean. Talan is such a character. I just adore his nutty ways and the way he speaks in riddles! 00000: I don't think he is a smartass really, he just disagrees with everything in the universe, and he's more than just a little bit pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Brynhild
    Australia was founded as a penal colony, with the inclusion of English, Irish and Scottish Gentry, governing bodies and convicts. By a technicality, this country was already multi-cultural - multi meaning more than one of anything. These races are distinctly different, yet also compatible with one another.
    It was multicultural to start with, no doubt, but over time all of these British Isles ethnicities have together found enough common ground and sense of kinship to forge a common identity. Common loyalty. Problems that exist between these ethnic groups in the British Isles tend to be left behind here.... I was once told by a very clever Irishman (you know who you are ) that the reason for this has been speculated to be that as these populations are no longer in competition with each other for resources (as they necessarily are "back home") inter-ethnic tensions become somewhat irrelevant, and then eventually cease to exist.

In the early days of colonisation in Australia, those from Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales had to band together as a means of survival. And often the exploited working classes of all of these ethnic groups had far more in common with each other than they did with the English "governing bodies". (I think this is largely where Australia's "rebellious spirit" comes from.)

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Problems that exist between these ethnic groups in the British Isles tend to be left behind here.... I was once told by a very clever Irishman (you know who you are )
    Ah yes, that sounds like me alright.

that the reason for this has been speculated to be that as these populations are no longer in competition with each other for resources (as they necessarily are "back home") inter-ethnic tensions become somewhat irrelevant, and then eventually cease to exist.
    I can't seem to find the quote now but the argument was that when early colonists were turned out of the penal colonies after serving their time (usually for something relatively minor by todays standards), the Crown freely granted them as much land to settle as they could clear for themselves by hand. In that kind of environment one has to rely heavily upon his neighbours at least in the first few years in order to have any hope of survival at all, and their was a fair percentage that didn't survive their first year. So the toughness of life encouraged co-operation and "nation building" of necessity.

The Crown forces may have been less sympathetic towards Catholic's in some respects (such as supporting the building of RC schools and churches) but they exacted taxes equally on all, this was usually done confiscating badly needed livestock, and so the army came to be seen as the common enemy by the colonists.

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    Monday, March 1st, 2021 @ 10:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Colorado Colorado
    Single adult
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachthimmel View Post
    In my opinion, there's a clear answer: no. Most Americans are bad at retaining their cultural and linguistic heritage, and even those that manage to make this effort (usually 1st and 2nd generation immigrants) don't teach it to their children. They teach them English and try to integrate them into the American society like good citizens. The tendency of any country which has a monoculture is to become as homogeneous as possible. Multiculturalism just doesn't work in countries like the USA. Let's face it, the only people who have preserved their heritage outside their motherlands are these Volksdeutsche in Europe who live in enclaves and the Amish in the US who isolate themselves from the modern world. Without an enclave, it's pretty difficult. And please don't tell me that these sausage fests or Oktoberfests are preservation of German heritage because it's a joke. So, who comes to America is better off becoming American. Anything else is like swimming against a waterfall. I'm speaking from own experience. Had I not returned to Germany, my generation would have lost my German heritage and my children wouldn't have been German anymore.
    Curious, you act like some things can't be regained once people have lost them. In some respects it is like loosing your keys, if you can't find it make a new set. I've been doing that here for a bit now, helping others learn German and understand, as well as implement, a culture that they lost over time. Now, given my background, I can't help them "become" Westphalian, Bavarian, Saxon, etc...but I can encourage them to research their regional heritage and to travel back in order to experience it first hand. This approach does have precendents in both the US with the former Amana colonies and the ethnic Germans in Silesia (currently Poland). It is quite a different approach from the usual "hey I'm German, let's get drunk!" or "dress up in trachten and dance" that is seen here. It takes time...and alot of patience, though in the end I think it is worth it if it improves their lives. With out our roots, we will not survive. Granted, there has been more than once that I've wanted to just go back to Berlin and stay, at the same time though I have invested a lot of time and energy here (even fought for this country). Maybe it is just the very stubborn Dittmarscher in me, going against the flow or becoming a rock that fights that waterfall you mentioned...of course, it is becoming annoying getting called a foreigner here lately.: Either way, perhaps something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
    Values of different Germanic ethnicities don't clash with one another to make maintaining the values impossible. Culture, on the other hand is different. You cannot maintain multiple cultural identities and traditions at once without having some inner chaos. Choose a side and identify thus, whatever is seemingly dominant in you.
    Hehe, try having family in two countries seperated by an ocean...that creates enough inner turmoil and chaos. Brucken...gotta love it.

FFF
    Ragnar

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 @ 09:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old American
    Subrace
    Old American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Teacher
    Politics
    Nonaffiliated libertarian
    Religion
    Northern Traditions Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I've seen some youngsters try very hard to uphold their heritages. A fellow from Elgin, IL, has helped his kids start a New German-American Bund, which meets on Saturdays. They have German-language lessons, take trips to German enclaves, and study German culture. These same kids (I used to teach at their school) are also proud Americans, who salute the flag, are involved in local and state politics, and are active in their church. Are they not upholding more than one tradition? Let's give credit where credit is due!

Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    I don't see a conflict between ethnic culture (German, Irish, Scottish, English, etc) and a local culture (American, British, Australian, Austrian, Swiss, Canadian, etc). Ethnic culture is generally immutable, local culture is mutable.

Even local culture is often subdivided, 'Texan', 'New Yorker', or 'New Englander', and often combined with other more mutable 'identities' such as class or religious identity, rural/urban, professional, subculture, lifestyle, political, etc.

For example, one could be a middle class gay Irish pagan New York American libertarian punk rocker, and not have any identity conflict. Someone could be a working class Swiss metalhead in their 20s, and then become a middle class Texan American Evangelical by their 40s.

Where it gets schizophrenic is attempting to adopt multiple ethnic cultures equally, especially if they are dissimilar.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SwordOfTheVistula For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    East German
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    National
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe View Post
    I've seen some youngsters try very hard to uphold their heritages. A fellow from Elgin, IL, has helped his kids start a New German-American Bund, which meets on Saturdays. They have German-language lessons, take trips to German enclaves, and study German culture. These same kids (I used to teach at their school) are also proud Americans, who salute the flag, are involved in local and state politics, and are active in their church. Are they not upholding more than one tradition? Let's give credit where credit is due!
    I give no credit to "German" American flag wavers. German culture might be compatible with Americans since America was founded as a multicultural country, but American culture is incompatible with Germans since we are a nation-state, and not a state of many nations. German nationalists don't accept German Jews and German Turks, so we don't accept German Americans either. I only give credit to those Germans from the US who make the effort to be wholly German and renounce waving American flags. As a proverb goes, "friend to all is friend to none". Those who are "loyal" to more than one nation are loyal to none.

„Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Saturday, January 16th, 2021 @ 08:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ossi View Post
    we don't accept German Americans either.
    The ironic thing here is that I don't see anyone asking for your acceptance. I neither need nor seek the approval of anyone to know myself, know where I come from and know which direction I would like to see my folk here in the New World travel in.

I don't pretend to be a German but there is no debating that I am (partially) of German stock. There is nothing that you can do or say to cancel this fact.

New identities were forged here from similar and kindred peoples, identities that are of value and worthy of preservation and continuity. At leas they are in our eyes and that is what is most important to us, not the opinion of some German 5000 miles away.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast