Ethnicity
    Lombardic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Path of the Metalhead

Catchy title, huh? :p

This thread is mostly dedicated to all metalheads here in The Althing, inspired after watching the documental A Headbanger's Journey, directed by Sam Dunn. You can watch it on YouTube.

This thread is not to talk about the film, although some comments wouldn't be bad.

The main subject of this thread is to know how were you drawn to Heavy Metal? How old were you? How did your friends/family/people in general took it?, etc.

Besides that, a lot of you come from Scandinavia and are true BM fans, and were adolescents or just kids in the early 90's when the second wave of Black Metal was rising and all that churches burning issue was appearing. Was that something that attracted you to that genre? How did people felt about the Black metal scene? What about church burning?

My personal relationship with metal started probably at the age of 12 or 13 when I listened to Guns n' Roses' Welcome to the Jungle. I was immediately shocked by that powerful sound and since then, Heavy metal has been my favourite music genre and I can't imagine myself living without it. So, I have to give thanks to GNR introducing me to it.

Although I think my love with metal can be traced up to the age of 7 when I was at my cousin's house and he was listenig to Queen's Princes of the Universe. Those mighty choruses at the beggining followed with those strong power chords made me feel incredibly powerful (just imagine, for a little kid that some minutes before was playing football, that was the heaviest thing that existed!). I liked so much that I heard it again and again and again and...:p. So, God save the Queen for introducing me to Rock music and Hard Rock.

As I grew up I discovered other bands and sub-genres (thrash, NWOBM, folk, symphonic, death, etc), being thrash and it's most notable band, Metallica, among my favourites.

I discovered Folk/Viking metal thanks to Skadi forum. That kind of metal isn't very known here and when I entered the site I saw names like Finntroll, Ensiferum and other groups and I was like "what on earth is that?" :

Now folk and viking are among my favs.

So, what about you, metalheads?
    "Cuando la Patria está en peligro, todo está permitido excepto no defenderla"
    José de San Martín

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Do I count as a metalhead? I'm now just a mellow old fart that listens to goth and neofolk and lounge music all that jazz (literally)...

------------

Anyway I acquired a taste for hard rock around the late '80s with bands such as Guns 'n' Roses, Alice Cooper, etc.
    My first concert must have been either Alice Cooper (Trash tour) or the Scorpions, some time in 1989.

1989 is also the year I bought my first Metal Hammer, and I had not lost an issue until 1995 or '6 -'cause that's where I started reverting to dark wave and goth...

During the '90s (that was my highschool years) I was mostly listening to Thrash & Death.
    My favorite bands were Sodom, Kreator, DRI, Annihilator, Megadeth, Coroner, Slayer, Death, Atrocity, Obituary, Nuclear Assault....that sort of thing.
    I never really liked "classical" Heavy Metal except maybe Iron Maiden --and Merciful Fate, if they count as such.

I was also a Manowar fanatic () until '92 (or was it '93?) and anyway that was when I saw them live and it was one of the worst ones I have ever seen. A two hour delay followed by a drunken band that played a set of 50 minutes with 5 min breaks between each song 'to drink beer' and 'snuggle' with a few of their female fans.
    I also liked some other epic metal bands such as Cirith Ungol but basically I was a thrasher

What else to say.......I puke with genres such as 'atmospheric/goth' metal , 'new metal' (the Korn, Limp Bizkit, whatever, kind) :ugh and the only contemporary metal genre I can tolerate and even enjoy on occasion is black metal, especially greek and scandinavian

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 11th, 2010 @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scot-Saxon mutt
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    Single adult
    Politics
    Jack London
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dio. Holy diver.

classic
    Tequila Sunrise

Last Online
    Friday, July 18th, 2008 @ 07:42 AM
    Occupation
    mendicant philosopher, freelance egotist, part time terrorist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm an "ex-metalhead", but here it is:

I was a kid when Twisted Sister's "Stay Hungry" album came out. Ma was letting me pick out a cassette at the store and I saw the cover of that album and Dee Snider was sitting there chewing on a bone and wearing ridiculous make-up and something anti-social in me just thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. They had a couple videos that got real popular too, and being into it made me feel like some kind of different and cool rebel.

When I was in sixth grade "pop metal" was hitting it big and everyone I knew was into it. I was attracted to the darker themes because I've just been the kind of person who reacts to taboo by breaking it. I wasn't raised with religion but the dark and forbidden side of Christianity was appealing and I thought that Satanic imagery was cool. I used to blaspheme just to watch the other kids scream and run away or to prove to them that Jesus wasn't going to appear and start beating the shit out of me for it. Alice Cooper was probably my favorite band at this point, I guess.

Then I got into Iron Maiden and I had to stay up late to watch MTV's Head Banger's Ball on Saturdays to watch their videos. I got introduced to other bands who were into the darker imagery I liked so much through this show. It's weird to say, but Iron Maiden's album "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" is probably one of the most touching and meaningful albums to me.

So I was a long haired weirdo who wore black and acted antisocially. I started getting more into thrash metal like Anthrax and Metallica when a friend introduced me to Slayer. I thought Slayer was the best thing ever, though I had an embarrassing addiction to Man-O-War for a brief stint at the time as well. I also listened to M.O.D. and other thrash/hardcore crossover type stuff and this sort of pulled me out of metal and I started listening to music with more "real world" themes like punk, hardcore and oi.

I never really got into the make-up and leather scene, and didn't really mix well with the other metal head kids in town. To me metal was just music I listened to and I never really used it to identify myself. Other people did that for me, but it wasn't something I was all that attached to or had problems moving out of. The lyrics didn't really speak to me anymore and long, technical guitar solos are not enjoyable to me. So that was that.

Last Online
    Monday, December 7th, 2009 @ 04:16 AM
    Ethnicity
    Lombardic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maccuswæl
    I thought Slayer was the best thing ever, though I had an embarrassing addiction to Man-O-War for a brief stint at the time as well.
    Emabarrassing, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Maccuswæl
    The lyrics didn't really speak to me anymore and long, technical guitar solos are not enjoyable to me.
    Yes, I understand you. With the exception of some songs, lyrics aren't very deep or understandable (I could never understand Alice In Chains' "Man in the box" lyrics). However I really like that song musically speaking).

About that technicity, yes, in some bands it gets really boring, like that 70's drum solo cliche.
    "Cuando la Patria está en peligro, todo está permitido excepto no defenderla"
    José de San Martín

Last Online
    Thursday, October 13th, 2011 @ 06:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I've seen the film you are referencing and I have to admit that I enjoyed it.
    It's great to watch something that describes the metal culture as something more than a bunch of long-haired teen losers, which is the kind of image I think that people have of it. For me, it was more than just a musical style I enjoyed; it fit the way I view the world.

I had a similiar growth into metal.
    I was first introduced to metal music at a young age through Metallica and ACDC and was transfixed instantly. It appealed to me because it was raw, powerful, and dark.

I was your typical metalhead with the rebellious spirit during my teen years until I discovered death and black metal. Something struck me about those genres because of the individualistic and anti-Christian lyrics and I have been a black metaller ever since then.

To me, the theme of black metal just went along with my personality perfectly.

I've also always been interested in my ethnicity and the old norse religion so I guess the natural progression was to move to Folk/Viking metal.

I'm a big fan of Týr, Enslaved, Finntroll, Falkenbach, Månegarm, Moonsorrow, and bands of that sort.

Great thread!

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 @ 12:37 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As a child I was exposed to metal and rock from my parents listening to bands like Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, and ZZ Top. I liked the way that the music flowed and I took an interest in it. I think the catalyst was during my pre-teen years because I was subjected to rap music from my older brothers. I didn't like rap music one bit and wanted a more raw and rebellious sound. I then got into Metallica, Megadeth, and White Zombie which I listened to for some time until I discovered the British death metal band, Bolt Thrower, from my dad. I then started reading Metal Maniacs magazine which I learned about other bands and genres.

When I got out of elementary school I met a few friends who also liked metal and one of them had a nice collection of black and death metal albums. I was instantly attracted to the music because it was against the "system" and status quo and wasn't the mainstream stuff that I have been subjected to. I've been listening to metal for many years now and love it every time I hear it. My favorite genres are black, death, and folk. I don't have a favorite band since I like a lot of them, but some of my top bands are King Diamond, Katatonia, Armagedda, Finntroll, Nagfar, Secrets of The Moon, and Blood Stained Dusk.
    "Life; it kills 100% of those who experience it."

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 11:40 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, England, Scotland & Normandy
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    South Holland South Holland
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Musician
    Politics
    Free-Thinker & Anti-Monarchist
    Religion
    Heiden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I grew up with rock,punk and metal music mainly because of my father, my mother liked some hard rock and metal like Rollins Band and Metallica.
    My brother and sister were also listening to metal and rock music i guess they also influenced me a bit, after that i listend for a few years to commercial metal bands untill i met my dad again after 4 years and i started to listen to more underground bands.
    From that day on my music taste became extremer with the day always searchin for louder metal and new things i started to play drums in a band(later switched to vocals) and Guitar,Bassguitar.
    Then a few years ago i found Black Metal started to listen to Mayhem and i loved it so since that day on i started to search for alot of BM bands untill i found Folk Metal bands and that is now my al time favorite sub genre.

For me personally the Church fires didnt have anything to do with me getting interested in BM i actually started to read about these things later, how well i am also not against the things that happened (only that they burned some old churches wich used to be buildings from the vikings).
    If christ is the answer then what is the question?

Last Online
    Thursday, October 13th, 2011 @ 06:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    "I was instantly attracted to the music because it was against the "system" and status quo and wasn't the mainstream stuff that I have been subjected to." - ChaosLord

I have to agree with you ChaosLord. Something about black and death metal hit home with me because it wasn't like a pre-teen rebellion against society like mainstream metal can seem.

Not that I'm knocking mainstream metal; it's still better than rap.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 17th, 2012 @ 06:22 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have to say, I had a pretty normal introduction to metal I guess. While I did follow a pretty general path as I got interested in Metal, my tastes in music have diversified I guess, and I still do listen to the music that I did when I was a younger kid.

I guess I started out with general alternative rock music, then got interested in industrial and industrial metal bands. After that I started listening to bands like Opeth, and from there I listened to I guess different melodeath, black metal, and progressive rock bands (Like Porcupine Tree, they rule!). But I definitely would say at least 1/3 of the music or more that I listen to is metal...

Opeth puts on a good show :O.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast