Croatian Nationalist
    Religion
    Roman Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Easter Eggs

Of all the symbols associated with Easter the egg, the symbol of fertility and new life, is the most identifiable. The customs and traditions of using eggs have been associated with Easter for centuries
    Originally Easter eggs were painted with bright colors to represent the sunlight of spring and were used in Easter-egg rolling contests or given as gifts. After they were colored and etched with various designs the eggs were exchanged by lovers and romantic admirers, much the same as valentines. In medieval time eggs were traditionally given at Easter to the servants. In Germany eggs were given to children along with other Easter gifts

Different cultures have developed their own ways of decorating Easter eggs. Crimson eggs, to honor the blood of Christ, are exchanged in Greece. In parts of Germany and Austria green eggs are used on Maundy Thursday (Holy Thursday). Slavic peoples decorate their eggs in special patterns of gold and silver

Austrian artists design patterns by fastening ferns and tiny plants around the eggs, which are then boiled. The plants are then removed revealing a striking white pattern. The Poles and Ukrainians decorate eggs with simple designs and colors. A number of eggs are made in the distinctive manner called pysanki (to design, to write)

Pysanki eggs are a masterpiece of skill and workmanship. Melted beeswax is applied to the fresh white egg. It is then dipped in successive baths of dye. After each dip wax is painted over the area where the preceding color is to remain. Eventually a complex pattern of lines and colors emerges into a work of art

In Germany and other countries eggs used for cooking where not broken, but the contents were removed by piercing the end of each egg with a needle and blowing the contents into a bowl. The hollow eggs were died and hung from shrubs and trees during the Easter Week. The Armenians would decorate hollow eggs with pictures of Christ, the Virgin Mary, and other religious designs

Easter Egg Games
    Eggs play an important part in Easter sports. The Romans celebrated the Easter season by running races on an oval track and giving eggs as prizes. Two traditional Easter egg games are the Easter Egg Hunt and the Easter Egg Roll
    On Easter morning the children of the house join in a search to locate the eggs that the Easter Bunny had hidden while they where asleep. The searching might continue though out the house with the older children helping the youngest. Sometimes prizes of candy are awaiting the child finding the most eggs

Easter egg hunts can are also part of a community's celebration of holiday. The eggs are hidden in public places and the children of the community are invited to find the eggs

The rules of an Easter Egg Roll are to see who can roll an egg the greatest distance or can make the roll without breaking it, usually down a grassy hillside or slope

Maybe the most famous egg rolling takes place on the White House Lawn. Hundreds of children come with baskets filled with brightly decorated eggs and roll them down the famous lawn, hoping the President of the United States is watching the fun.

http://www.holidays.net/easter/eggs.htm

Croatian 'Pisanice'

Ukrainian 'Pysanky

Hungarian 'Húsvéti tojások'

Last Online
    Sunday, February 20th, 2005 @ 08:52 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last Online
    Thursday, June 10th, 2010 @ 08:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Easter Eggs

This is the way we always did them growing up with my mother, and now that I'm out living on my own I decided to make just one to put in the living room. It's kind of a reminder of home I guess. Anyways, here is how we do them:

You're going to need a number of eggs, a knife, food colouring or some other kind of dye, a pot, vinegar, a bowl, and of course water.

For the first step you need to get the yolk and white out of the egg. To do this we take the knife and punch a tiny hole in the base of the egg. This is where the egg will sit when it's finished so it won't be noticable. You then need to stick something small and long such as a narrow knife or some kind of skewer or toothpick up inside the egg and jumble up the insides. After that you shake the contents of the egg out through the hole into your bowl. This is the most time consuming part and you might need to play around a bit to get the egg out, it's pretty sticky and thick stuff.

Once you've finished this, put aside your bowl full of egg for use later. Then carefully wash the empty and intact eggshells. I need to emphasize careful, because they're extremely fragile. Make sure to get water into the hole you punched and swish out the insides, there's nothing worse then your easter eggs starting to smell later on. Once they're clean sit them aside for a second.

Put some water in your pot (at least enough to submerge the eggshells) and then add your dye until the water is the desired colour. After that you add a small bit of vinegar. Then boil this mixture. I don't know the science of it, but the vinegar helps the dye to penetrate the eggshell when it boils. I'm assuming it's because it's an acid. Anyways, boil it and then let it simmer, while it's simmering carefully submerge your eggshells in it and rotate them in the liquid until they reach the desired shade. If you want different colours you'll have to do different batches.

When you're finished you may need to wash some dark spots off your eggs. Don't worry, that will come off fairly easy, but because of the vinegar the dye is right into the shell and you won't lose your colour. Just be careful when you do it because they're very fragile.

When you're all done you can put your eggs in a basket or nest somewheres to be seen (my student budget model is a nice coloured mug stuffed with some seaweed for a nest). Then take that bowl of egg you set in the fridge earlier and make some scrambled eggs or something for everyone.

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010 @ 01:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    We used to paint the eggshell directly after getting all the stuff out the egg and have it washed, without using any sort dye nor vinegar in a pot. I guess your way is much better.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

« -Oh my God, but you're a neo-nazi?!...
    -But why neo? »

Last Online
    Thursday, June 10th, 2010 @ 08:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Painting is fun too, we did that as well. It allows more artistic works then just solid colours. The way I posted is simply the most efficient I guess, and gives the most even results if you want solid colours. I have seen beautiful designs hand painted on eggs though.

Last Online
    Friday, November 14th, 2008 @ 04:50 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Occupation
    Clinical Herbalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thats very detailed. I've never actually tried emptying the eggs like that. I think it will be a great thing to try this year. I'm sure I'll probably end up breaking a few of them.

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Easter Eggs

Growing up Easter was mostly religious and not decorative. A friend taught me to make pysanka eggs (She is crafty and Germanic not Polish or Ukrainian.) I made them for my daughters girl scout troop.

How do you decorate eggs for the season?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Hĺlřyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Here in Norway its only common do paint eggs when you are a klind, or painting eggs with your kids. I remember we use to paint them in all different kinds of colors and patterns.