Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Go to the Opera, Theatre, Etc.?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

Do You Go to the Opera, Theatre, Etc.?

Nowadays it seems less and less people go to the opera, theatre, and other recreational places of this kind. I wonder if it has to do with the modern means of entertainment which are taking over. Do you attend them? Are there any old-fashioned recreational places like opera and thaatre near you?

For Hermanndtadt:

The State Philharmonic Orchestra of Sibiu is a well known orchestra from Romania.

For Sibiu, a city over eight centuries old and a convergent point of numerous economic and spiritual influences, musical manifestations have been a constant part of the city life. Since the 16th century, Sibiu had one of the first European schools for organ, funded by Hyeronymus Ostermayer and the city’s archive contains music scores signed by composers of the 17th and 18th centuries. It was in 1774, at the court of Samuel von Brukenthal, governor of Transylvania, when a professional orchestra held its first concert. In 1792, one year after Mozart’s death, "The Kidnap from Serai" was played in Sibiu, and later in 1800, the "The Creation" Oratorio by Joseph Haydn.

During the 19th century, great European musicians played in Sibiu: Franz Liszt, Johan Strauss, Johannes Brahms, Joseph Joachim, Richard Strauss and others. This musical activity was sustained and continued by both Romanian and German cultural societies until mid 20th century.

In the context of the existence of such a great number of musicians, of a music conservatory, and of a great tradition in the field of symphonic and opera performance, the State Philharmonic of Sibiu was funded on January 1st, 1949, by royal decree of King Michael of Romania. The Philharmonic of Sibiu was and continues to be a professional institution that, during its 50 years of existence as a state institution, offered thousands of symphonic and opera concerts, accumulating a vast symphonic and lyric repertoire. Numerous articles in Romanian and foreign newspapers and magazines praised the quality of the orchestra’s concerts and of the recordings for radio and television, or on discs and CDs. At the same time a great number of tours were successfully concluded in the country and abroad, in France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Spain, Russia etc.

Together with the orchestra, famous artists from Romania and other countries have performed, among them: Ion Voicu, Valentin Gheorghiu, Stefan Ruha, Monique de la Bruchollerie and Jean Jaques Thiollier, Sviatoslav Richter, Rudolf Kerer, Lazar Berman, Dimitri Bashkirov, Ivry Gitlis, Montserrat Caballé and many others.

Starting with the 2004-2005 honorary season, the new location of the State Philharmonic of Sibiu is Thalia Hall. Built in 1787 by Martin Hochmeister, the hall was destroyed twice along the years, both times during a fire. The County Council of Sibiu restarted the restoration of the edifice in 1990. The official inauguration took place on October 7, 2004, accompanied by the notes of Symphony no. 9 by Ludwig van Beethoven.

The source:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_P...monic_of_Sibiu

Last Online
    Sunday, December 2nd, 2018 @ 07:06 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Ancestry
    Austria/GermanBohemia
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Zodiac Sign
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Project management consultant
    Politics
    Far Centre
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Sure I am an active theatre going person, now for 6years. The actor group and the the producers are quite talented here, in Klausenburg. Before I came here I was going to theatre in Szeklerburg, though the "quality" level of the plays back there is not so high as here, I still consider them talented. However most of the plays are in romanian or hungarian. Is there an actor group in Hermannstadt that plays german?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 09:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I used to go to the ballet and theater a lot with my grandparents when I was a younger, but I haven't attended in years. I also participated in community theater and ballet when I was a child.

Last Online
    Friday, July 13th, 2018 @ 10:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I do like classical music. I don't really like most of the plays that run these days, and most musicals aren't really my thing either. I used to have season tickets to the local opera, but since I am a bit strapped for cash these days, I only go to ones that I really want to see these days. It is a mostly older crowd, despite attempts by the opera company to reach out to the younger crowd.

I live in Los Angeles, and I've noticed that places that were originally mostly classical music, like the Hollywood Bowl, now have mostly rock or Latin music on weekends. Weeknights are still classical though, and, I can probably afford the $1 cover for nosebleed seats for the "Mozart Under the Stars" night, or "German Romantics" night.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 04:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The ex-woman would drag me to the theatre every now and then. Like Stephen Fry said in his novel Making History: "Theatre is nothing compared to cinema, but sometimes I like to go watch the corpse decompose".

The last time I've been to a theater was for a play based on a novel by one of favourite writers, Arto Salminen (if you haven't heard of him, don't worry -- most Finns haven't either).

I hate the Finnish national opera with a passion -- the common man's taxes funding the snobby pleasures of a tiny elite -- but I've been there once, to see Waltari's Yeah, yeah! Die, die! Death Metal opera.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Do I go to the opera ?

YES. I attend performances of the Connecticut Opera Co. and the Simsbury Light Opera Co. I also attend many of the HDTV theatre presentations of the Metropolitan Opera performances .

I dislike Regietheatre [performances of the DIRECTOR'S concept of e.g. Lohengrin]. I recently saw a preposterous HDTV performance of Verdi's Macbeth which did violence to the intentions of both Shakespeare and Verdi. The story was advanced to the 20th century and, thus, was filled with absurd anachronisms.

The librettist and the composer almost always indicate the time and place of the action of the opera. What gives any director the idea that he has the right to change them ? The director's job is to see that the intentions of the librettist and composer are carried out, NOT to be "creative".

Nobody gives a damn about HIS concept of the opera. The only concept that counts is that of its creators. If he wants to be creative, let him write his own opera. However, if he lack the talent to do that, let him , at least, refrain from marring the works of his betters !

I don't like most modern dramas and, therefore, I don't go to the theatre any more because that is about all that is ever presented hereabouts. If some long-established drama is performed, we are again treated to Regietheatre.

This is not Edmond Rostand's "Cyrano de Bergerac" but rather the director's concept of Cyrano de Bergerac, taking place in, e.g., the decadent society of the Weimar Republic in the 1920's. BAH ! :

Last Online
    Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    The last time I went to see a play I was exposed to strap-on penises, a male transvestite and homosexuality. Apparently it was a production of one of Sweden's most famous play-writes, Carl Jonas Love Almqvist's The Queen's Jewel. I was a bit surprised to see such content in a play written in 1834 to be honest and I don't think I'll be returning to the theatre anytime soon. I'll leave such high-culture for those who know how to appreciate it.

You have got to love our modern society, the way it perverts everything and everyone in the most unexpected manner. What a delight it is to live in this day and age, truly a blessing from the Gods.

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 10:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

More Regietheatre ?

I have a feeling that what you saw was probably some director's concept of Almqvist's play.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, February 11th, 2009 @ 04:07 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorm the Old View Post
    I have a feeling that what you saw was probably some director's concept of Almqvist's play.

Exactly. I've seen Shakespeare productions you wouldn't believe.

Just as an example, a production of Romeo and Juliet at the Helsinki theatre academy featured all the male roles played by women, and vice-versa, and the girl who played Romeo dry-humping lampposts (don't ask me why, because I don't know -- I doubt anyone else does either), the character of the singing scoundrel (forgot his name) coming on to the stage topless -- and remember, it was played by a woman, etc.

At least the imbeciles who put on that production did not mess with the plot, as I've heard has happened to some Shakespeare productions in England and elsewhere.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorm the Old View Post
    Yes, I was trying to be a bit ironic in my previous post. But yes, it is a modern "interpretation" of a classical play, very typical in the way that they feel the need to pervert everything in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast