View Poll Results: Should "degenerate" art be banned, in your opinion?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it should be banned.

42 37.84%
  • No, it shouldn't be banned.

53 47.75%
  • Other opinion/I want to see the votes.

16 14.41%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Thread: Should "Degenerate Art" Be Banned?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Interesting that almost 11 years later, this thread is still active.

Anyway, both sides have interesting points, but I'm still a little bit unsure about the question. With some forms of art it's clear. Most peoples seem to agree on content like violence, sexual exhibitionism, extreme disrespect or cruelty. Also most peoples agree that some content is too sensitive to be exposed to children. That's pretty clear. But where is the limit? Here an example to illustrate what I mean:

This is Poppy, an eccentric YouTube user which some define as modern art:

Personally, I think it's a little bit silly, but I wouldn't go as far as to ban her either. She's not producing the classical form of art, but she's also not defaming someone, or advocating violent or illegal actions. She also has millions of viewers and followers. So, maybe I don't understand her. Here an art critic who explains her view:

My point is, who defines what is degenerate and where is the limit? In the end, wouldn't it be just someone imposing their own views and preferences of art on an entire society? If the government decides such things, there's also a risk of instability. What is today considered art could be tomorrow's trash, based on whomever is in the government.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 08:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Here are some things I think one could consider:

1. Modern art is necessarily harder to wrap our head around. 20th (and late 19th) century artists were the first to be part of the greatest upheaval of human history (as are we), hence we can expect the art from circa 1850 til now to play around with the basics of aesthetic appreciation. Are they degenerate? Are they adventurous? I can't blame anyone for not knowing for sure. Postmodernism is simultaneously a curse and a gift. It will produce some great new things, but they will be so new that they will be difficult to process, it will be hard to find the key to appreciate them. In the midst of all this, it's easy for hacks like Poppy (in the above post) to emulate the surface of art because most people don't have the time to make out the difference.

2. A lot of modern art is crap. But some isn't. A lot of people are tempted to lump all of modern art into the same heap of garbage, and I can't blame them--it's part of the naive democratization of creative work--but I think that is doing ourselves a disservice. Find a good art critic who seems to make sense and work your way up. You may find some really great stuff. Geniuses are born in every century and it wouldn't make much statistical sense to assume that none were part of modern art.

3. Is it even possible to "go back"? The greatest artists of history were basically all revolutionaries, pushing the limits of their craft. Although the Renaissance was meant to revive the spirit of the ancient ideal, the resulting art is very much its own, mirroring its times (the centuries after 1300). And what would happen if we really limited our artists to very strict aesthetics? Inspiration from past ideals seems a good idea, but censuring seems to have a tendency to kill off more inspiration than it nurtures.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skärmträl For This Useful Post:

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    525 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post
    , who defines what is degenerate and where is the limit? In the end, wouldn't it be just someone imposing their own views and preferences of art on an entire society? If the government decides such things, there's also a risk of instability. What is today considered art could be tomorrow's trash, based on whomever is in the government.
    Never seen "poppy" before and she is brilliant, 200 million subscribers that has to be a lot of ad revenue for being stupid and boring with a artsy mystic.

Who defines what is degenerate? Culture and society define what is degenerate, who else would?
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 02:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Christianity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Generally art should be free. Not banned. But in some cases there can be exception if it is really extremely degenerate/perverted.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago @ 05:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    308 Posts
    Our opponents don't believe in freedom of speech so why should I?

Last Online
    2 Hours Ago @ 08:26 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post
    Most peoples seem to agree on content like violence, sexual exhibitionism, extreme disrespect or cruelty. [...] But where is the limit?
    Perhaps we could further exemplify what we mean by over-the-top violence and cruelty.

First off, general suffering is an immensely important and central experience of human existence, it needs to be depicted in art and has been depicted in art for a very long time. The suffering (Passion) of Christ, the result of violence and cruelty, is even one of the most pivotal aspects of Christian art, which in turn is very much central to Western art.

These artists, however, don't show cruelty or violence themselves in their depictions, but rather an immense compassion for the human condition. But if an artist does show cruelty through their art, no matter what he or she depicts, maybe that's where some of us would draw the line.

Then again, people are more or less sensitive. Some will feel nauseous and upset from looking at a painting of e.g. the decaying corpse of the Messiah, while others will find it a cathartic experience.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011