Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

Survivalism

Survivalism is a commonly used (and often mis-used) term for the preparedness strategy and subculture of individuals or groups anticipating and making preparations for future possible disruptions in local, regional or worldwide social or political order. Survivalists often prepare for this anticipated disruption by learning skills (e.g., emergency medical training), stockpiling food and water, preparing for self-defense and self-sufficiency, and/or building structures that will help them to survive or "disappear" (e.g., a survival retreat or underground shelter).

The specific preparations made by survivalists depend on the nature of the anticipated disruption(s), some of the most common scenarios being:

1. Natural disaster clusters, and patterns of apocalyptic planetary crises or Earth changes, such as Climate Change bringing on tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, and severe thunderstorms, etc.
    2. A disaster brought about by the activities of mankind: chemical spills, release of radioactive materials, war, or an oppressive government.
    3. General collapse of society, resulting from the unavailability of electricity, fuel, food, and water.
    4. Monetary disruption or Economic collapse, stemming from monetary manipulation, hyper-inflation or world-wide depression.
    5. Widespread chaos, or some other unexplained apocalyptic event.

More abut survivalism:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism

What do you think of it? Is it necessary or paranoia? Are you survivalist or do you know anyone who is?

Last Online
    Saturday, December 6th, 2008 @ 11:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Kansas Kansas
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Idealist
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I would consider myself somewhat of a survivalist. I'm not paranoid, I'm prepared.

I try to keep extra non-perishable food stocked away, also first aid kits and yes I own several guns. My dream would be to have a cabin designed to be self sufficient and live far away from big cities. I'm not planning on anything in particular happening. But just in case better safe than sorry.
    “Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs-Jon Jay, Federalist Papers

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 20th, 2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Prussian X Anglo/Celt
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Tasmania Tasmania
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Back to Boilermaker/weldering
    Politics
    not the Greens
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post

What do you think of it?
    Is it necessary or paranoia?
    Are you survivalist or do you know anyone who is?
    well i know some who are very paranoid!

but i don't think being prepared is bad as i often follow a saying my father uses

" expect the best! prepare for the worst"

so i have a number of Survival skills but i don't stock food or have a bunker....i would like the bunker there's just something fun about them
    Tasmanian twice the heads!!.......twice the intelligence!?

Last Online
    Monday, July 16th, 2012 @ 02:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Tree Wizard
    Religion
    Wotanist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I reckon I'm some sort of survivalist. The thought brings to mind "when the going gets tough the though get going"

A friend of mine gave me this book years ago. Be sure to check out the pictures...

Cut heating costs 80%
    Eliminate air-conditioning costs
    Shelter your family from:

* Hurricane
    * Tornados
    * Earthquakes
    * Rampant Fire
    * Atomic Fallout
    * Mobs, gunfire, blasts, and similar results of social disintegration

Build a home that is:

* Wonderfully affordable
    * Easy to build
    * In tune with nature
    * Solar heatable
    * Light, airy, sun and view filled
    * Blissfully quiet

Underground housing is a concept whose time has come again. Its advantages over above-ground housing are spectacular. It stays warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It blends in with nature rather than rearing above it. It can double the yard space in a city. To the neighbors it looks like a park. It is the most environmentally sound. It uses half the building materials. It is the safest form of housing: it is fire resistant, radiation resistant and is impervious to tornado and hurricane strength winds. It even does better in earthquakes.

Where are the traditional tornado shelters located? Where are the fallout shelters? Where does an army go to defend itself? In a world that is increasingly hostile, it’s really nice to know that Mother Earth herself is providing your safety.

Later,
    -Lyfing

Last Online
    Monday, August 20th, 2012 @ 05:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I read Frugal Squirrels Survival Forum mostly for the gun information, and the news discussion section. I also sometimes read the survival/disaster preparation section at other gun forums. The discussions can be eye opening, and entertaining to me. Some of the best threads are on South America when the governments somewhat collapsed, and the city survival. I now have some water filters, and would like to get a book on wild plants to eat. Just remembered that I still need a first aid kit.

There is a curse of "May you live in interesting times." They are nice to read about, but you do not want to live in them.

Last Online
    Friday, April 19th, 2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Massachusetts Massachusetts
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Occupation
    bartender
    Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I went into a book store a few weeks ago, and was amazed at the absence of books on how to survive a nuclear attack. There were books on survivalism, but none even addressed how to protect oneself from radiation poisoning(potassium iodide tablets), or how to build a bomb shelter. After I left the store I immediately went home and purchased a book online entitled,Nuclear War Survival Skills by Cresson H. Kearny. Some of the terms in the book were difficult for me to understand, but I was able to glean some pretty useful information from it. For instance, if you don't have a basement, seek shelter in the basement of school building or church. Also, always have face masks around to protect yourself from radioactive dust in the air.
    It's believed the next major attack on the West by Islamic extremists will be nuclear, so again, it just amazes me that there is nothing in book stores on surviving such an event.
    Here in the U.S., we have a southern border which is, for the most part, unpatrolled, and millions of people cross over it into the U.S. every year. According to American Border Patrol officers, thirty percent of the people who are caught crossing aren't even Latin American. Some people from the Middle East are caught trying to get in. Also, according to recent news reports, Al-Qaeda is training blond, blue eyed men in it's camps in Afghanistan as potential terrorists. These people could easily blend into any crowd in the West, according to the CIA.
    Yes, survivalism, particularly nuclear survivalism, is something more people need to familiarize themselves with.

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 @ 10:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old American
    Subrace
    Old American
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Teacher
    Politics
    Nonaffiliated libertarian
    Religion
    Northern Traditions Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nuclear survival

If you need data on nuclear survival, please check out the government documents section of your nearest university library. So long as it is an official repository of federal documents, it will have the old citizen's handbooks on surviving a nuclear attack. I've used them with my history classes before--many of the clip-art stye illustrations, albeit informative, are unintentionally hilarious (moms in heels and pearls, serving Kool-Aid during a nuclear attack whilst in the family shelter . . .).

Last Online
    Thursday, October 15th, 2009 @ 09:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Welsh/Scandinavian
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    student/Bar supervisor
    Politics
    mixed
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I wouldn't say that I prepare as such, but I know which plants can be eaten, how to catch game, and fish without any equipment. I know how to preserve this food and how to cure skins, and I have knowledge of medicinal herbs, although I would need someone to diagnose what the problem was first I also on a longer term basis know how to make and shoot a longbow. I've won medals for shooting and have been hunting with a rifle on more than one occasion so I reckon that it wouldn't be too difficult to survive. My biggest problem would be other people.
    Cattle die, kinsmen die,
    the self must also die;
    but glory never dies,
    For the one who is able to achieve it.

Sayings of the High One.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 @ 12:37 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Survivalism

I didn't know where to put this thread at so I thought that the lounge would be convenient. I haven't come across any threads about survivalism and since countries are slowly collapsing from within and the looming possibilities of wars breaking out (civil or international) I thought I'd share these tips with you all. Here's some survivalist info;

http://www.survivalist.info/
    http://www.textfiles.com/survival/
    http://www.survivalblog.com/

Survivalism for nuclear conflicts (prior, during, and after);

http://www.ki4u.com/
    http://www.radshelters4u.com/
    http://www.nukepills.com/
    http://www.oism.org/nwss/
    "Life; it kills 100% of those who experience it."

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 @ 07:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    Son of the Empire
    Ancestry
    English, Scottish
    Subrace
    Alpinised Bruenn altered by Med.
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've read some things about "Survive Club", an organisation of sorts formed by the ex-leader of the New Zealand National Front.

In my opinion it all seems a little silly and appears to just be a bunch of people running around in the woods with paintball guns

Personally I see the whole Survivalism thing a bit defeatist in outlook:

"Oooh, let's just wait for this enevitable apocalyptic situation!"

"Okay, well that didn't happen... But... But... We're still prepared!"

The NZ Survivalists that I've conversed with over the internet seem to uphold the belief that society's gone wrong, it's all going to be destroyed sometime soon and if we all form a little group of people all of our problems are going to be solved.

I won't attempt to down-play their preparedness. Being physically fit, knowing a martial art and simple common sense will get you a lot further than training with a paintball gun will (at least in a place where there are not many guns, like New Zealand).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast