Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    A variation of the German Shepherd, known as the White Swiss Shepherd. Recognized as a separate breed.

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Engaged
    Politics
    Not liberal
    Religion
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Awww. Those Swiss Shepherds are beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bärin View Post
    I post more Great Dane puppies because they are so lovely and huggable.
    Are Great Danes actually from Denmark? I was never sure.
    "Gallantly shall he speak and gifts bring who wishes for woman's love: praise the features of the fair girl. Who courts well will conquer."

The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty.

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by triedandtru View Post
    Are Great Danes actually from Denmark? I was never sure.
    No, they're from Germany. The oldest breeders were tracked to the states of Württemberg and Hesse.

The origin of the Great Dane is the subject of much debate. We know that the image of a dog very similar in appearance to the Great Dane of today was printed on some Greek money dating back to 36 B.C. We also know that in 407 A.D. German Gaul and part of Italy and Spain were invaded by an Asiatic people, known as the Alans, who brought with them powerful mastiff-like dogs. In Germany, especially, this large breed of dogs, which was capable of overcoming bears and wild boars, was much admired. Thus, the Germans began a process of breeding these dogs. It is believed that these dogs were crossed with Irish Greyhounds resulting in the beautiful, large, thin, agile dog known as the Great Dane today.
    Other accounts of the origins of the Great Dane included sources that say that dogs similar to Great Danes were known in Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome. Various sources report that the Great Dane was developed from the medieval boarhound, and of the Mastiff and Irish wolfhound lines. Still other reports indicate The Bullenbeisser may be the direct ancestor of the Great Dane. These reports indicate that The Bullenbeisser is composed of about 40% of the Great Dane’s make-up. According to Barbara Stein, “The breed originated in Germany, probably from a cross between the English mastiff and the Irish Wolfhound.”
    Notice we made no mention of Denmark. So why are Great Dane’s called ‘Danes’? What makes them Danish?
    The Great Dane can be clearly traced back that this breed originated in Germany, not in Denmark as often mistaken by its Anglo Saxon name. In 1749 Georges-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon used the name “le Grand Danois,” which means “Great Dane”. Up until that time the hound was referred to in England as ”Danish dog.” However, according to Jacob Nicolay Wilse, the Danes called the dog “large hound,” a terminology continued well in to the 20th Century. Many hypothesize, that, although the breed did not likely originate in Denmark, and most likely originated in Germany, the reason the name ‘Great Dane’ stuck in the English and French languages were for political reasons. The English, French, and other cultures, simply did not want to credit Germany with the origin of the breed.
    The reason why in Anglo Saxon and French speaking countries refer to the German Mastiff still as Great Dane are political reasons of historical issues especially during the unification of Germany by Prussia and Bismarck. In Germany however, the breed was called the “Deutsche Dogge” (German Mastiff). It was decided during the German Dog Exhibition in Hamburg Altona that the Germans should be united for naming the dog and they called it “Deutsche Dogge” (German Mastiff) at a time when Germany united and Prussia became a European Power in defeating France. Therefore it is clear that Britain and France did not want to call the dog ” Great German”.
    The precursors of today’s Great Dane are the old “Bullenbeisser” as well as the so-called “Hatz- and Sauhunde” (hounds), which are a cross between the strong Mastiff of the English type and a fast and nimble Greyhound. At first, big and strong dogs that did not necessarily belong to a certain breed were considered as Danes. Later on, names like Ulmer Dane, English Dane, Danish Dane, “Saupacker” (wild boar hunt) and big Dane described the different sizes and colors of this type. In 1878 a committee of seven, consisting of committed breeders and judges with the chairman Dr Bodinus, decided in Berlin to unite all varieties of the above-mentioned types under the term “Deutsche Dogge” (German Dane, ie Great Dane). Through this the foundation for the first German dog breed was made. In 1880, on the occasion of a dog show in Berlin, a standard for the Great Dane was determined for the first time. Since 1888, the “Deutsche Doggen Club 1888 e.V.” is in charge of this standards and repeatedly modified it since. Today’s edition fulfills the demands of the F.C.I.
    Source

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Yeah, the "Great Dane" is a faux name, like the "Swiss roll", which isn't actually Swiss.

P.S: Those puppy eyes are killers.

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    The Boerboel, a South African breed. Translates to "farmer's dog".

Account Inactive SureFireCorpse's Avatar
    Last Online
    Thursday, April 16th, 2009 @ 05:23 AM
    Ethnicity
    Blend
    Ancestry
    too many to name
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

New~ Hopefully I do this right~ Ginger~

She is a Mix. I had seen her mother & brothers full rotty and, apparently mommy snuck out and, mated with a husky. And, lemme tell you it's got to be the most hyper, destructive mix. I have always loved rotty breeds very beautiful an lazy! But, will spring into action when necessary and very loyal dogs. This dog runs full circles around my German/American rotty girl. This photo was taken around 6-7months age. She is full of spunk and, never I'm mean "NEVER" gets tired!
    Sorry the photo isn't too good. It was hard enough trying to get her to stop moving for a second to take it.

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    The Great Dane is a German dog, me as a German nationalist would only want a German breed.

How can anyone not love them? They're great with kids too.

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 07:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Mostly German/Some English/Some Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    State
    Texas Texas
    Far Right
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I have three dogs. A German Shepherd, a Pyrenees/Labrador mix, and my third is a Pit Bull. The first two weigh a combined 186 pounds, but it is my 36 pound female Pit that gives me the most trouble. All three are great watch/guard dogs. With strangers they take a wait-and-see stance until they are satisfied I am in no danger, and then welcome you like an old friend.

Last Online
    Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 @ 03:45 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Engaged
    Politics
    Not liberal
    Religion
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I have a lab as well. I would like to also have a German or Swiss Shepherd though.
    "Gallantly shall he speak and gifts bring who wishes for woman's love: praise the features of the fair girl. Who courts well will conquer."

The three highest causes of the true human are: Truth, Honor, and Duty.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 11th, 2017 @ 02:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So this red fox pup doesn't belong to a domesticated breed but it's still a member of the canidae family!
    And sooo very cute! Besides, by way of folklore, the fox has made a sizable cultural and literary contribution.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast