Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Musical Islands

Musical Islands

MUSICAL ISLANDS

When the Faroese composer Sunleif Rasmussen accepted the Nordic Council’s big music award in 2002, he wrote that the sound of water was among the first things he remembered. He would follow the water with closed eyes, until it rushed over a cliff and disappeared in the surf of the sea, and he would lie and listen until he himself was an island among an infinite sea of sounds.
    This later became the first Faroese symphony, Oceanic Days. It was a big day when the symphony was performed for the first time in the Nordic House, and it was as if a gust of the country’s history swept through the hall along with the music. It was, after all, only a few generations since musical instruments were hardly known in the Faroes. It was only the old Faroese singing and dancing, stories and tales, and the traditional chain dance, where the voice and the rhythm of the feet alone was heard.
    When Faroese trade was freed, a new world opened, and along with the trade a new time’s music swept over the islands. The first great teacher was a baker’s assistant from Bornholm, and baker Hansen is a main character in William Heinesen’s famous novel Lost Musicians. He teaches the bellringer’s sons to play, so they in the end lose themselves in the art. William Heinesen was himself the baker’s student, and somewhere he tells of his teacher that he was so musical that he could play on all instruments in existence, in addition to a good deal of them that weren’t yet invented.
    Now most of them are invented, and in daily usage. They can be heard both in the Nordic House and in garages and basements all over the islands. This is attributed first of all to the large sea of sound that has poured over the entire globe for years. In the next place, it is the development of music schools and the organized education.
    Now young musicians sit together with the more experienced in the Faroese symphony orchestra and play classical music literature, and a few days later they may be standing on stage in a rock band and blasting up an improvisation of an old Faroese folk tune.

But the voice is still the main instrument and the fondness of singing is large, whether it is expressed at festive occasions or in the 2030 choirs that hold concerts and annual festivals. There is a straight line from this big song tradition to today’s many names, among others the young singer Eivør Pálsdóttir. She can lift up the old songs and give them a brand new meaning, and she can create new songs that flow in tune with today’s society. The singer and lyric writer Teitur Lassen has also become a well known name and has toured in the USA and Europe. The group Ennek plays a deep and intense world music, but the group Týr is tougher, often starting out with an old Faroese song and bringing it to full speed.

There are many fiery souls, and our time’s baker Hansen comes from a windswept part of west Jutland in Denmark. Kristian Blak has for more than 25 years been a teacher and inspirer for countless youth in all music genres from folk music, jazz and rock, to modern musical scores. He is a festival arranger, in addition to being the soul of the music publishing firm Tutl, that has over 400 publications to date. Follow him into one of the deep grottos along the coastline and experience one of nature’s large concert halls. Maybe the music is a part of Journey to the Centre of the Earth from his own Concerto Grotto.

http://www.faroeislands.com/Default.asp?sida=872

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I recently (last night) discovered this artist, and I stayed up until the small hours because I simply could not get enough of that voice..!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I see you have found this thread by yourself. I was going to give you the link. I believe Eivør Pálsdóttir is an exceptional singer. For the metal fans, I recommend the Faroese band Tır. Tır plays a combination of heavy metal and folk music, with strong progressive metal elements. Their subject matter revolves almost entirely around old Nordic lore and mythology.

Tır - Regin Smiğur

Tyr - God of War

Tır - The Hunt

Tır - Valhalla

Tır - How far to Asgaard

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Last Online
    24 Minutes Ago @ 03:38 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Northern Germany
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    North Rhine-Westphalia North Rhine-Westphalia
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Pestilent Supremacy
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Religion
    Fimbulwinter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Not sure if I should post it or not, but here's another artist from Føroyar named VHERNEN.
    www.myspace.com/vhernenblack

The genre he choses for his music is funeral black metal, and it lacks folk influences almost completely. Still I think he creates a very unique style of music, a depressive and haunting, trance-like atmosphere incorporating electronic cello and harps in an unusual way...

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I believe any music by Faroese singers or bands is fine, not just folk. This thread should serve an informative purpose for the ones who wish to find out about Faroese music in geneal. Thank you for the link. I will have to do some listening.

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
    I believe any music by Faroese singers or bands is fine, not just folk.
    True!! I stumbled upon some more 'alternative rock' artists from the Faroes that are also good