Germany Germany
    State
    Hessen Hessen
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Fave in school: English, Chemistry, Biology.

Fave @ Uni?: ...need to decide still. Probably Marketing.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 06:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Lowlands
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Geography is the subject I most enjoyed in high school. Not for its inherent enjoyability but because the teacher I had was the only decent guy on a staff full of laughably self-important tossballs. I took it from my first year through to Advanced Higher (so, every year I was there). This guy would make fun of the other teachers for being shit and chat and joke with us casually, and about 'mature' stuff that isn't a big deal unless you're highly-strung, as every other adult prowling the halls of that place was. He cultivated a really laid-back atmosphere in his class, and we all appreciated that and respected him for it. Plus, the department was fairly isolated from the rest of the school and I liked going up there to get away from everyone else's noise.

Uni I won't even talk about, because it was boring and those years just merge into one for me, so I couldn't extract a single memory and point to it as my most favoured one. When I think of all that what I visualise is a huge stinking bog slowly sucking in an arm, then a hand and swallowing it up with a sickly gloop; burping up a treacly bubble or two before settling again in the cold night air, resembling an unfathomable sea of congealed gravy and fat on Boxing Day when you're too disgusted with food to behold such horrors.

So it's possible that I didn't really enjoy those years. But I could be wrong. Suppose I should ask a shrink what it all means. But those bores never made much headway with me.

I was threatened with expulsion from school a number of times for refusing to behave, but I never really saw the threats as serious. (I wasn't traditionally 'badly behaved', I just questioned them too often. From a female any degree of disobedience is more offensive than the same from a male, and must be punished more severely. I was well aware of this, and even challenged them to discuss it on a few occasions. Was denied, of course.) They tried to slap a psychologist on me, but it was a disaster from start to finish because I couldn't resist playing games with her. It's my first thought at the best of times to toy with people's minds, so if someone is actually being paid to pry into mine... well, that's just too juicy to pass up. I have my fun. Also I found her physically repulsive and wanted the thing over with quickly so I wouldn't have to look at her anymore.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I liked geography.

Love Conquers All
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    My favorite college class this semester has been, by far, philosophy. I really enjoy going to this class. The professor is one of those that you end up remembering forever. My favorite from last semester was definitely chemistry. I've had a biology course every semester so far and it is getting a bit irritating. I find the 4 hour labs that accompany them to be especially annoying.

In High School I really liked art class. I took it every semester and I had a bit of a crush on the teacher

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 07:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    #1 linear algebra sophomore year of college. I really enjoyed being the smartest kid in class, tutoring pretty much all the other students, with the exception of the older, undisputed geniuses who kept to themselves.

#2 lunch junior and senior year of high school. I never attended though, choosing instead to to go off to the school library to study personal names, place names, archeology and various conspiracy theories.

#3 earth science sophomore year of high school. The teacher was probably similar to Edie's geography teacher. He was awesome, so awesome in fact that they had to fire him.

#4 math junior year of high school. I had a crush on the young teacher who taught the class.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 06:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Lowlands
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Everyone I like without fail loathed PE in high school as much or almost as much as I did. If you actually liked it (for some inexplicable and inhuman reason) I'm afraid we are never going to see eye-to-eye about anything and indeed I hate you dearly on principle. We belong to two opposing segments of humanity, and I will never betray my people for you.

My scowling hatred for the subject was so unmistakably clear to everyone that I was relegated to the lineup of the last picked, every time. The etiolated weaklings, piles of pudge, lumbering thickos, useless midgets and so on spiralling down the high-school hierarchy got picked before did, so I've surmised it had something to do with my scintillating attitude towards the whole enterprise and not my reasonably normal appearance or my (unknown) ability -- an (unknown) ability I would never, ever employ in service of their stupid game. Picking me last was their punishment of my spiritual rejection of something they invested so much of themselves in. Little did they realise that, had I been picked first or worse, somewhere in the middle, I'd have been truly scandalised by the total misunderstanding of my character that had been perpetrated against me.

Even the nervous spastics famous for shooting own goals and then turning around all chuffed with themselves expecting to be greeted with a wave of gratitude got picked before I did. How I loved to watch the awkward, lanky buggers send a ripple of panic through the clutch of Vimto-rushing losers behind them who took their high-school kiddie games way too seriously. Most of the time I was the only one laughing, though, as those upstanding students got genuinely upset over such setbacks. Sometimes I'd throw in a hearty snort or two because I had zero reputation to maintain anyway and I wanted to see how viciously a row of faces could etch itself with fury and disgust before it literally cracked. During the activities it was my habit to sequester myself somewhere I wouldn't be seen, such as a trap door, a rhododendron bush or the TARDIS, but unfortunately these remained hidden from me despite my most devoted efforts to find them. There was this one girl who would always spy me lurking in the shadows (my favourite place and activity) and beckon me to partake in their insipid ball chasing as if she were inviting me into something I'd actually be interested in doing, like locking everyone in, setting the place alight and nonchalantly spinning the keys around my index finger whilst mentally recording the screams for future pondering. The ball they all so coveted very seldom came into my possession because everyone knew, perhaps just instinctively upon beholding my charmingly glowering visage, that I'd sooner stab or melt it than actually pass it to anyone. At the same time I was pointed out by Miss no-misfit-left-behind I would be noticed by the hilariously overweight gym teacher and ordered out onto the court. I don't know where this girl is nowadays, but I hope it's impaled on something.

There's little I love more than getting out of stuff, and there's little I hate more than PE, so combining the two made for a most agreeable endorphin kick for me, independent of inducement by any loathsome forced energy wastage. I remember sauntering into the PE 'office' one lunchtime and acquainting a mid-masticatory audience with my heart problems (about which, astoundingly, I was telling the truth, but more astounding to me at least is that I am in possession of that organ). My calculated revelation was not received with the reevaluation of their approach towards yours truly I had been hoping for. Instead they farted out an entirely uninteresting saga of some mutant cripple former student's entirely uninteresting determination to 'be a part of the team' and not allow her mutant crippledom to 'hold her back'. Which, if you ask me, she probably should have, as she almost certainly holds back everyone else involved in whatever she hobbles into. When one of the smug lovers-of-ladies asked me, with a ham-sandwichy wheeze, 'what we could learn' from the story it took every fibre of my self-restraint not to suggest it be made law that we drown such deformities at birth.

As I turned on my heel to leave, rather than recommending they take a trip up to the library and familiarise themselves with the fine art of plagiarism that next time I might find their tales a touch more involving (which evidently they neglected to do in their own high-school years when they were busy thumping balls at one another and taking mental snapshots of other girls in the showers), I fed them a line about how they had really made me see things differently. Thanks! and decided to bypass the underlings completely and infiltrate the upper levels of their petty power structure. Needless to say, I hoodwinked my way out of PE a lot after that, because despite lacking the vital skillset with which proper application to the subject would have furnished me, I always achieve my goals.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    P.E was a bit of a doss at my first secondary school - few took it seriously and it was all rather amusing being hopeless

Then I went to a rather fancy school where people were competitive and it was all terribly embarrassing

Most hated subjects: French and Maths, which is a shame.

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    306 Posts
    I loved natural science, my worst class was also gymnastics.

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Favourites: Anatomy and physiology, statistics, art history, biology

Least favourites: Political science, economics, linear algebra, research methods
    Let us not desire delights, daughters; we are well-off here; the bad inn lasts for only a night.
    -St. Teresa of Avila

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,351 Posts
    At school?
    * Favorites: biology, history, physical education
    * Least favorite: religious education.

After that? I'm lucky to study things I'm interesting in.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast