Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On Suicide (See Question at Bottom)

Last Online
    Friday, December 9th, 2011 @ 05:16 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish + "American" (back to early colonial times)
    Ancestry
    Major: Sweden, England, Scotland, Holland, Minor: H. Germany, Austria, Ireland
    Country
    United States United States
    Ancient ways
    Religion
    personal Gods, one Father
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I can think of three examples of suicides in the Bible, and 2 actually were followed through. Saul had someone kill him by request, Judas hung himself on a tree, and a prison guard was about to kill himself after an apostle escaped the prison by supernatural power, but that same apostle told the man not do so.

All three are not the most positive mentions of suicide, but it really isn't mentioned as a sin either. I really think person has a right to take his or her own life, just as they have to shower or decide what to eat for lunch, but murder of someone else should be a crime. In cases where the suicide leaves dependants widowed or orphaned, it should be seen the same as leaving a marriage or abandoning children by any other means. But for the vegetable on life support, the mentally or physically tormented, criminal facing a long jail sentence, the old widow or widower who is left without company, or soldier facing torture by his enemies, life has few life options left. I think in these and similar cases, it seems almost a sin or crime to force these people to keep going against their will. I don't think every form of killing is created equally. Sometimes nature is just not merciful enough to end the life of someone for them, so one has to take matters into their own hands. I think one's life should be the decision of that person. If there is punishment for it in the hereafter, that should be up to the person and their divine overseer. Making suicide a civil crime is kind of pointless, not to mention practically unenforceable.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 8th, 2010 @ 03:25 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavaria (father) Norway(mother)
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    British Columbia British Columbia
    seperated
    Occupation
    renovations
    Politics
    None
    Religion
    Deciple of Jesus
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

In Gods hands

In the beginning of your article Suut, the writer states that he knows of no monotheistic religion that out laws suicide I thought I would show you one that does and doesn’t depending on the circumstances.
    In the one case Islam is very much against taking your own life for your own purposes as you can see here in this Hadith.
    Volume 7, Book 71, Number 670:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet said, "Whoever purposely throws himself from a mountain and kills himself, will be in the (Hell) Fire falling down into it and abiding therein perpetually forever; and whoever drinks poison and kills himself with it, he will be carrying his poison in his hand and drinking it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever; and whoever kills himself with an iron weapon, will be carrying that weapon in his hand and stabbing his abdomen with it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever."

Then lets look at the other side of the coin for in Islam to die a martyr is the highest calling, as we can see by the many Suicide bombers we read about every day.

Read these Hadiths.

Volume 4, Book 53, Number 352:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Allah guarantees him who strives in His Cause and whose motivation for going out is nothing but Jihad in His Cause and belief in His Word, that He will admit him into Paradise (if martyred) or bring him back to his dwelling place, whence he has come out, with what he gains of reward and booty."

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 49:

Narrated Samura:

The Prophet said, "Last night two men came to me (in a dream) and made me ascend a tree and then admitted me into a better and superior house, better of which I have never seen. One of them said, 'This house is the house of martyrs."

Volume 4, Book 52, Number 53:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

The Prophet said, "Nobody who dies and finds good from Allah (in the Hereafter) would wish to come back to this world even if he were given the whole world and whatever is in it, except the martyr who, on seeing the superiority of martyrdom, would like to come back to the world and get killed again (in Allah's Cause)."

As you can see a religion can both condemn and condone suicide at the same time.
    The two are polar opposites on the one hand the continued reliving of your death for all eternity and for the martyred the best house ever seen.

As for Christianity as has been said, not much is written about suicide and how God will judge people who take their own lives. I give two examples that you could read in the papers today, and a third that reminds me of some of the Martyrs we here about today. As Sampson’s goal in killing himself is the destruction of his enemies, this I think would be considered honorable by many.

2 Sam 17:23
    23 Now when Ahithophel saw that his counsel was not followed, he saddled {his} donkey and arose and went to his home, to his city, and set his house in order, and strangled himself; thus he died and was buried in the grave of his father.
    (NAS)

I King 16:18
    18 And it came about, when Zimri saw that the city was taken, that he went into the citadel of the king's house and burned the king's house over him with fire, and died,
    (NAS)

Judg 16:29-30
    29 And Samson grasped the two middle pillars on which the house rested, and braced himself against them, the one with his right hand and the other with his left.
    30 And Samson said, "Let me die with the Philistines!" And he bent with all his might so that the house fell on the lords and all the people who were in it. So the dead whom he killed at his death were more than those whom he killed in his life.
    (NAS)

As I study religions and find out how they think and behave in society. The concept of Eternal glory for the destruction of your enemies is the most disturbing aspect of suicide. And obviously the most detrimental to society as a whole, often causing fear and destabilization. I as an Ambassador of Jesus, I feel all life is precious to God.

The Talmud has a lovely passage “The angels wished to sing praises to God while the Egyptians were drowning in the sea, and god rebuked them saying, shall I listen to your hymns when my children are perishing before my eyes?” T.B. Yebamoth 64a

Life is precious the loss of it is tragic, taking your own life without cause such a waste.

As a disciple of Jesus suicide is not an option for me as I hope this scripture will show. Martyrdom is another mater

1 Cor 6:19-20
    19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
    20 For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.
    (NAS)

What others do with their life is the blessing of free will, and we as followers of Jesus have no basis to make a judgment on anyone as they are in Gods hands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12