Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 07:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Thought on Our Ragnarök-Like Era

We are in the Kali Yuga, Fimbulwinter, last cycle of the Mayan calendar, no matter how we call it. The Western world is going mad, obsessed, unhealthy, crowded, deviant, and even worse, tolerant of all this.

The Kali Yuga, last stage of development according to Hinduism:

Avarice and wrath will be common, men will openly display animosity towards each other. Ignorance of Dharma will occur. Lust will be viewed as being socially acceptable. People will have thoughts of murder for no justification, and they will see nothing wrong with that mind-set.

People will be inclined to follow false sciences. Family murders will also occur. People will see those who are helpless as easy targets and remove everything from them.

Many other unwanted changes will occur. The right hand will deceive the left and the left the right. Men with false reputation of learning will teach the Truth and the old will betray the senselessness of the young, and the young will betray the dotage of the old. Cowards will have the reputation of bravery and the brave will be enervated cowards. People will not trust a single person in the world, not even their immediate family. Even husband and wife will find contempt in each other.

In the Kali Yuga even pre-teenage girls will get pregnant. The primary cause will be the social acceptance of sexual intercourse as being the central requirement of life.

It is believed that sin will increase exponentially, whilst virtue will fade and cease to flourish. People will take vows only to break them soonafter.

Alongside death and famine being everywhere, men will have lustful thoughts and so will women.People will without reason destroy trees and gardens. As previously mentioned, men will murder. There will be no respect for animals, and also meat eating will start.

People will become addicted to intoxicating drinks. Men will find their jobs stressful and will go to retreats to escape their work.

Gurus will no longer be respected and their students will attempt to injure them. Their teachings will be insulted and followers of Kama will wrest control of the mind from all human beings.
    It's pretty clear to me we are in this stage, perhaps even, sadly, at the beginning of this stage. According to Indo-European traditions, when the world goes mad, it gets destroyed and another one flourish after. I got no illusion whatsoever about the fate of our world; destruction is preferable to mild, soft but deep, almost never-ending decadence.

What is, then, the duty of people like us, who consider themselves in one way of another "guardians" of their history, traditions and race? Look at this little pearl I found by chance on Wiki:

What seems eschatologically unique about Ragnarök is that the gods already know through prophecy what is going to happen — when the event will occur, who will be slain by whom, and so forth. They even realize that they are powerless to prevent it but nevertheless bravely and defiantly face their bleak destiny. This is thought by some scholars to represent the ordered world (the Ćsir) eventually succumbing to the unavoidable forces of chaos and entropy (the giants)
    Better to die with our boots on, in this case. If we spend our lives fighting, in the abstract as well as in the concrete, for our ideas, beliefs and views, in the worst case people in the centuries who follow will remember us as the last defenders of the West. We would have failed, but would have shut the light of Western history with the honours safe.

Or, as William of Orange once said:

Il n’est pas nécessaire d’espérer pour entreprendre, ni de réussir pour persévérer.
    One does not need to hope in order to act, and does not need to succeed in order to fight on. (homemade translation)
    "The heavenly motions... are nothing but a continuous song for several voices, perceived not by the ear but by the intellect,
    a figured music which sets landmarks
    in the immeasurable flow of time."

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Film Student
    Politics
    rergreheh
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I think you hit on a very valid point here. I have run across a great many who sees the signs of the wolf age (ragnarok comes after this), kali yuga, the iron age etc. but, of course, what is the response to this? If it is our destiny to fail to prevent what is afflicting our blood and soil then what can we really hope to accomplish or furthermore hope to gain with this life?

To this I say we can win battles even if the war is decided. Our own individual experience in life is what matters. Avoid collectivist politics as you expose yourself to the forces subverting and destroying the world. By embracing a more difficult existance of earning your daily bread through hard work you can indeed earn yourself a living. Hesiod explains that it is very unfortunate he lives in the time of the Iron Age. Even to he, who lived a good 2000 years ago found this era to be unhospitable to mankind. None the less he explains that hard work is the key to this era. If people in this day and age are like iron then we can be forged into steel but first we must be beaten under the anvil and exposed to the fires.

Last Online
    Monday, July 16th, 2012 @ 01:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Tree Wizard
    Religion
    Wotanist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    A quote from Carlyle's On Heroes, Hero-Worship, and the Heroic in History..

Among those shadowy Edda matters, amid all that fantastic congeries of assertions, and traditions, in their musical Mythologies, the main practical belief a man could have was probably not much more than this: of the Valkyrs and the Hall of Odin; of an inflexible Destiny; and that the one thing needful for a man was to be brave. The Valkyrs are Choosers of the Slain: a Destiny inexorable, which it is useless trying to bend or soften, has appointed who is to be slain; this was a fundamental point for the Norse believer;--as indeed it is for all earnest men everywhere, for a Mahomet, a Luther, for a Napoleon too. It lies at the basis this for every such man; it is the woof out of which his whole system of thought is woven. The Valkyrs; and then that these Choosers lead the brave to a heavenly Hall of Odin; only the base and slavish being thrust elsewhither, into the realms of Hela the Death-goddess: I take this to have been the soul of the whole Norse Belief. They understood in their heart that it was indispensable to be brave; that Odin would have no favor for them, but despise and thrust them out, if they were not brave. Consider too whether there is not something in this! It is an everlasting duty, valid in our day as in that, the duty of being brave. Valor is still value. The first duty for a man is still that of subduing Fear. We must get rid of Fear; we cannot act at all till then. A man's acts are slavish, not true but specious; his very thoughts are false, he thinks too as a slave and coward, till he have got Fear under his feet. Odin's creed, if we disentangle the real kernel of it, is true to this hour. A man shall and must be valiant; he must march forward, and quit himself like a man,--trusting imperturbably in the appointment and choice of the upper Powers; and, on the whole, not fear at all. Now and always, the completeness of his victory over Fear will determine how much of a man he is.

http://www.northvegr.org/lore/carlyle/005.php
    Later,
    -Lyfing

Last Online
    Monday, August 21st, 2017 @ 11:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Interesting piece nonetheless. Ragnarök is apparent in our day and age, unfortunately and I it will more than likely be a massive war (as said) with nuclear results. Surtr's flaming sword can be seen as Heimdall blows his horn in warning. This could represent a nuclear attack with Surtr's flaming sword being a missle of some sort and Heimdall's horn being a warning siren. The world is then covered in flames and followed by Fimbulvetr (nuclear winter). The wolves Sköll and Hati will then devour Sól (the Sun) and Máni (the Moon), covering the world in perpetual darkness. This possibly being from the heavy amount of ash and smoke of war blotching out the sun.

This is what I have related the mythology so far in comparison to modern day events. Either way, the world is in a state of inbalance and chaos.
    "Life; it kills 100% of those who experience it."

Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 07:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosLord View Post
    Interesting piece nonetheless. Ragnarök is apparent in our day and age, unfortunately and I it will more than likely be a massive war (as said) with nuclear results.
    I am beginning to think this is almost fortunate. Nothing is more anti-heroic than a slow, quiet, numbing death. This is what I can't wish for the Western world, taken as a whole.
    "The heavenly motions... are nothing but a continuous song for several voices, perceived not by the ear but by the intellect,
    a figured music which sets landmarks
    in the immeasurable flow of time."

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Tree Wizard
    Religion
    Wotanist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Often, I have thought of Ragnarok. The rejuvenation of the world with Baldur rising again. These mythological stories seem to speak very deeply. Now I suppose it can be said that Baldur is a personification of the sun and rises again after the death of each winter. Or, even that Baldur is the goodness and light, of life even, which rises after the Fimbulwinter.

To me stories of this nature speak of the dying and becoming that we all undergo in life. But, one thing I find to be kept in mind is that most are dying and not becoming. They live by a philosophy that has nothing to do with being in time. As Nietzsche pointed out they pray for the kingdom to come. They do not live in the present moment becoming. They are against becoming because to become is to assert themselves and they surely have no will to power as it is their god they pray whose will be done ( on earth as it is in heaven) .

This presents itself in real life ( to me ) as the Ragnarok. There is talk of the gods being good and the giants as being evil. I challenge this concept of duality. All was perhaps materiel when Buri married Bestla. In this real world there are forces who deeply cherish culture, and there are those who seek to destroy it. It all happens here and now. This is the Ragnarok.

As it has been said..

Brothers will battle to bloody end
    And sister’s sons their sib betray;
    Woe’s in the world, much wantonness;
    { axe-age, sword-age--sundered are shields--
    Wind age, wolf-age, ere the world crumbles;}
    Will the spear of no man spare the other.

Voluspa 44, Hollander trans.
    This can only happen with the dissolution of the solidarity of the group. In other words, an attack on the culture which bonds folks together. Or, even the bringing together of many groups which never even had a so called solidarity of group, but which are now pressed to possess such, an artificial such. Possess a key word. This seems to have happened only in the name of profit. Solely for the sake of self-interest does one consider profit. Hospitality is a virtue I know. ( And Will to Power is at it’s best when there is an Oath involved..oaths involve other folks..and have to do with Wyrd )

So before I carry on to much.. Ragnarok is upon us. Our brothers are against us. We must stand like always before. ( as in becoming ) We are the Einherjar. According to the Prophesy of the Seeress this is a battle we do not win. What a great concept is our Wyrd. Etymologicaly related is Wyrd, World, and Ward. It is we who are the wardens of our world by way of Wyrd which is ever becoming. As we are ever becoming so to is the world. As we die and are reborn so is our Nerthus….

Innocence is the child, and forgetfulness, a new beginning, a game, a self-rolling wheel, a first movement, a holy Yea.

Thus Spake Zarathustra
    Later,
    -Lyfing

Last Online
    Thursday, August 4th, 2016 @ 05:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Son of Mars
    Ancestry
    South Tirol mainly, Italy, Northern Spain and France
    Subrace
    Subnordid + Atlantoid admix
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Peronista ortodoxo
    Religion
    Agnóstico
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Medieval age was far worse than these times. Not that we are drinking nectar, we're living horrible days actually, but we are on time to change the situation. In the last century there were as many wars as in every other century before, and we may say the same about certain natural catastrophes, cultural decadence and so on. The only difference is that new communication technologies allow us to know earlier what's happening and we get so saturated with many exagerated news that is logical we think everything is spoiled. A French farmer in the XIth century would have been as scared as us if he had known what was happening in the shores of the Jordan River.
    The end of the known world has been prophetized thousands of times along history, even 8 years back the supposed terrible Y2K effect was just a commercial trick. I'm still here, and this monday I have an exam so I don't have much of a time to be thinking on the end of the world. I'm sure the world will end when I'm already dead.
    If there's such a predestination, why do we naturally keep trying to survive? Why do we scape from death if we are supposed to have a better life in the afterworld? Destiny might be written, but I'm my own editor too. You shouldn't also leave the plume. If Europe has in this moment a severe immigrants overflow, is not because Zeus, Odin or yaveh ordered it, but because European governments did little to stop it. In how many legends we see that a brave heroe makes a fool of Loki, or how Ulysses kept turning down Poseidon's plans to kill him? We are made by gods too according to diverse religions, so we control our fate too.

Germania incognita
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    448 Posts
    I thought of Helheim - en forgangen tid when I saw this topic:
    Vår metafysiske virkelighet er gått tapt
    Gudene er en død myte i manns liv
    Står som evhemeristiske symboler
    ikke lenger som en milepæl i våre hjerter
    Mennesket har banet vei for ny tenkning
    en slaves og den uverdiges dumskap
    skal vi glemme og la det bli
    en forgangen tid?
    It translates into something like:
    The gods are a dead myth in mans life
    Stand as evhemeristic symbols
    no longer as a milestone in our hearts
    Man has deared the way for rethinking
    a slaves and the unworthys foolishness
    Shall we forget and let it be
    a bygone time?

"Make strong old dreams lest our world lose heart." -Ezra Pound

Support Skadi forum

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Tree Wizard
    Religion
    Wotanist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It seems that throughout history everyone has always been looking for the end of the world with a new beginning. There is no denying the rising after the setting of the sun, the summer after the winter, or maybe ( I say maybe because of context) even life after death. Yet there is always talk of morality. As if the end of the world has to do with a breakdown of a certain society’s notions of morality. I suppose this is naturally so seeing as to how a society is held together by a cohesive set of sentiments.

Morality. Morality. Morality. I’m almost sick of the word myself, being of course beyond good and evil. What is this beyond good and evil I speak of ? Well, it is the creation of something new and independent.

If one looks at the age old story of Ragnarok what is going on? It is a fight to the death between the gods and the giants with the whole show being destroyed and Balder rising again. Balder is the beautiful. The one without blemish that Loki could not stand seeing in his glory. He is like the child that Nietzsche spoke of in his talk of the three metamorphosis of spirit “innocence and forgetting, a new beginning, a game, a self-propelled wheel, a first movement, a sacred "Yes."“

I reckon what I’m getting at is that there has always been talk of the world ending. This can be taken on a personal level of one dying of themselves and being reborn. Or, it can be applied to whole societies of persons.

Our mighty ash Yggdrasil trembles as Nidhog knaws the roots. Our cohesive set of sentiments is no longer valid as there is no cohesiveness. This no-cohesiveness has led to Ragnarok. Balder will rise again as sure as in..

..some future time, a time stronger than our effete, self-doubting present, the true Redeemer will come, whose surging creativity will not let him rest in any shelter or hiding place, whose solitude will be misinterpreted as a flight from reality, whereas it will in fact be a dwelling on, a dwelling in reality-so that when he comes forth into the light he may bring with him the redemption of that reality from the curse placed upon it by a lapsed ideal. This man of the future, who will deliver us both from a lapsed ideal and from all that this ideal has spawned-violent loathing, the will to extinction, nihilism-this great and decisive stroke of midday, who will make the will free once more and restore to the earth its aim, and to man his hope; this anti-Christ and anti-nihilist, conqueror of both God and Unbeing-one day he must come…

The Birth of Tragedy & The Genealogy of Morals, trans. by Francis Golffing pages 229-230
    Later,
    -Lyfing

Last Online
    Sunday, May 31st, 2009 @ 02:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Norwegian-German
    Subrace
    KN + Bruenn
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Libertarian/An-Cap
    Religion
    Anthroposophical Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I try to keep my personal kith and kin close and walk my wyrd. I know that someday I will eventually face my own Ragnarok. When it comes, whether I am by myself or with those close to me, I hope I can face it with courage and honor and stand defiant, yet content, in the face of it. I don't worry about it though, because I am preoccupied with being actively engaged within the moment of temporality that I am experiencing at this very moment. If something of epic proportions relevant to this age happens to coincide with the cycle of my personal existence, then so be it.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    — Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast