26 27.08%
  • generally bad

16 16.67%
  • both good and bad in some respects

52 54.17%
  • other

2 2.08%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Modernization/Technology: Good or Bad?

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 01:00 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    North Western Europe
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpearBrave View Post
    Can we have Technology without the Modernization?

The problem with modern technology is that it is doomed to failures unless we know how to do things manually. I have been to a bank and store far too many times when their "system" is down and the clerks can't do anything. I know this is just an example, but really how many of you could go from having electricity to blackout and still flourish or even survive?

Much has been lost in our arts and craft, in the days before the industrial revolution when things were made by hand people took the time to add beauty to their works, little scrolls, carvings, and other adornments. These things spoke loudly who we were and where we came from. Modernization has killed the life we put into the things we crafted and needed.

I'm not opposed to technology, otherwise I would not be here typing on this laptop enjoying a cold glass of water and seeing with an electric light. However to some great degree we have lost our identities with mass production and always looking for the cheaper, faster, better.
    I'd agree with this to some intent. Technology isn't the problem, neither is Capitalism, which is a word almost as misused as "Racism". But I think there is a combination of factors some of whom not even related to Technology or the choice of economic institutions/forms.

What is also is overlooked is the expansion of the state into all kinds of areas of life previously managed by people privately or on a community basis. There is the welfare state, but also the education system. People that know they can rely on welfare or the state providing certain resources "for free" want bother doing that for themselves so much (although some still do). Oh yes, and then there is the managerial or therapeutic state that takes over managing economics, welfare, environment and even very personal aspects of people's life's.

Guess a look at Ferdinand Toennies Community and Society won't be a bad idea here. But there is more and that is the mere spiritual aspect of human beings, the character of their soul and life essence, something that has been lost, while not necessary so consciously previously, with modernization, secularization and also with the postmodern era of globalization, Mcdonaldization, credit cards and the attempts of self-realization. One may say that social station in life as well as nationhood, religion, etc. have at least been put on the backburner by many.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Some comparisons:

Seven Ways Life Was Better 40 Years Ago

1. Kids played outside

When was the last time you saw a bunch of kids playing outside? Maybe you have; I haven't seen that in ages. When was the last time you saw kids play a pickup game of baseball or football? I haven't seen that in years.

Some of my favorite memories are getting all the neighborhood kids together and playing two-hand touch football, or even tackle football (without any protective equipment). Yeah, that was dangerous, but man — was it fun! Nobody went to the hospital, thank God. I think moms were tougher back then because I know our moms would tell us, "don't come inside unless you're bleeding or on fire." And nobody would go inside until the street lights came on.

I could get on my bike and ride for miles, or go exploring in the woods near the marsh (hunting for snakes and lizards and turtles, oh my!) and no one would bother us. We were completely safe. Those were the days.

2. Education was better

In the 1970s, I was actually taught phonics as a separate class in my school, from the second to the fifth grade. In the 1990s, Bill Clinton said a goal of his Department of Education was that every child would be able to read by the fourth grade. Heck, everyone in my school could read at the end of the first grade! (Do they even teach phonics anymore? It probably went the way of cursive handwriting, I suppose.)

When I was in the fourth grade, every boy and girl knew the names of every major leader in the American Civil War, when the war took place, what colors each side wore, and the names of the major battles. Most of the high school students I've talked to recently don't know any of that information.

We actually learned American history... crazy stuff like the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. We read classical literature (I think that is still taught), and I remember in my public high school we had as electives two Bible classes (Old Testament and New Testament) as English literature. Those classes were two of the most popular classes in my public high school.

There was no political correctness. You could pray (shock! horror!). We had Christmas trees and menorahs... and no one was offended! We had Christmas concerts and Easter break! Again, no one was offended (and yes, we had people of other faiths... they acted like adults and were not offended).

Before I graduated, we had a baccalaureate service that was entirely voluntary and it met in the school cafeteria. A local pastor gave the speech and we all prayed. No one was harmed in the making of that service.

We had no school massacres, although there were students who brought their shotguns to school, loaded up in the gun racks of their pickup trucks. What changed?

When I was in college, I minored in political science. We debated all sorts of things... politely! Sure, it was vigorous debate, but as adults, we could handle people who disagreed with us. No big deal. Today, however, if you are not politically correct, you are not only shunned, you might even be expelled. Or you might be physically harassed right out of the school.

Just look at how the "tolerant," "diverse," multicultural mob handles really mean people like Ben Shapiro, Milo Yiannopoulos, and Ann Coulter. Their very lives were threatened, and all they wanted to do was talk!

3. Our health was better (almost)

This one could go both ways. In some ways, our health options have improved vastly over the years, but in this article, I am specifically talking about obesity. My wife and I often comment on this. When we were kids, there was usually just one overweight boy and one overweight girl in our class. How about today? Today, try to find kids who are NOT overweight. Our nation certainly has a childhood obesity problem. Our adult population is drowning in obesity as well.

Whenever you go to the grocery store or the department store, count the number of people you see under the age of 50 scooting around on one of those scooters... and not because they have a broken leg. I am amazed every time I see two or three or four people far younger than me (I am 56) scooting around because they are so obese. It is sad. It's tragic. Something has changed in our diet and lifestyle... and it's not good.

4. Sports were not politicized

I used to be an NFL junkie. I was an Atlanta Falcons and Miami Dolphins fan forever (I actually met Don Shula when I was a kid!). I met my wife and was forced to "convert" to being a Cleveland Browns fan (I know, I know... it hurt to cheer for the Browns).

I cannot watch professional sports anymore. It seems to me that all of it has become politicized. From the players who are taking a knee during the national anthem to whatever the latest "star" thinks about the latest president to the gay football player or the gay cheerleader... I am just really turned off by all of this infecting something that used to be an escape for millions of Americans. Can't we just watch a ball game without politics being injected into EVERYTHING?

5. People dressed better

I'm sure I'll get some hate mail on this one. I clearly remember going to the grocery store or the mall in the 1970s and seeing people take some pride in how they dressed. Yes, I know the 70s were known for some disgusting fashions like leisure suits, platform shoes, and bell bottoms. But we still took pride in good grooming and wearing clean clothes.

Is it just me? Every time I go to a certain department store these days I am treated to people wearing their pants down to their knees, or wearing pajamas that are falling down. I am really sick of seeing people's butt cracks, folks. I also do not want to see people's bellies hanging out. If you want tattoos and piercings everywhere, fine, go for it. But I see people who apparently have enough money for gobs of tattoos and an armory of metal going through their face, but not enough money for a belt to pull up their pants.

Can we bring good taste and pride in our grooming back? I'm all for it!

6. We had a better work ethic

To be honest, I don't have any statistical data to back this up. All I have are personal stories from employers I talk to on a regular basis. I am a chaplain for a food service company and a steel galvanizing plant and I also talk to plenty of employers in other businesses, and they all say the same thing: it is amazing how people (especially young people under the age of 40) simply quit on the job without any warning.

Time and time again I hear the same story about a young person who does not give two weeks' notice before they move on to another job. They simply quit! Many times they give no notice — they don't even show up! I was stunned when I heard this!

My father and mother would have killed me if I ever did such a thing. They drilled it into my head that I was to do my job and half of someone else's. I was to make myself indispensable! If I had to quit, I was to give my employer two weeks' notice. Sadly, from what I hear, this has not been taught to recent generations.

7. We had fewer distractions

We had a television set with three channels. That's it. If you got to see the show, great. If not, you'd have to wait for the reruns later in the year. I know, we have much greater variety in our media these days, and that can be a great blessing (especially when it comes to getting alternative sources of news).

However, I think these days we live in a "distracted age." My cell phone is constantly going off. Sales calls, messages that can wait, alarms. We have 24/7 cable news that tries to hook us on the latest crisis (the crisis usually lasts only 72 hours). We have texting (which some of us think we can do while we drive), Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and video games — even on our phones — to vie for our attention. Our cell phones practically run our lives, it seems, and they track us wherever we go.

Can't we just go someplace without our phone? Can't we go a whole day or week without Facebook? Can't we wait to answer that text until we have parked the car?

I remember a world in which the phone and TV set did not dominate us. I try to set limits today on how much modern media and technology dominate me today — I often silence my phone or even drive around without one on me. My world, for just a short period of time, is much more tranquil. I am able to focus better and I am reminded of a world I used to know, some forty years ago.
    https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/7-ways...-40-years-ago/

7 Ways Life Is Better Now Than It Was 40 Years Ago

1. Healthier choices in food.

Health food has become mainstream. You don't have to go to some out of the way "health food shop" run by "hippies" to get what you need. All the main grocery chains now have entire sections dedicated just to non-GMO, organic food. "Free-range" is now part of our vocabulary. There are entire grocery chains that are dedicated only to offering food that is not loaded up with pesticides and hormones.

Even some restaurant chains (like Panera and Chipotle) make the effort to serve food that is entirely free of preservatives and other harmful additives. Businesses are doing this to respond to popular demand. More and more Americans desire natural foods that are a major part of the answer to the diseases they are constantly fighting.

Sadly, not enough Americans are ditching toxic fast food, but at least there is a good trend toward healthier options.

2. Online shopping.

This can cut either way, I know. I feel very sorry for businesses like Sears, J.C. Penney, and K-Mart. I grew up with those brands. "Sears has everything!" went the commercial. My father was a Sears manager for almost 20 years. And who can forget the ubiquitous K-Mart "blue light specials" and "thank for shopping at K Mart?"

However, these companies have not kept up with the new phenomenon of online shopping. I did not think I would like it at first, but this old buzzard now knows how to navigate the Internet and get some great deals as well as any teenager with a credit card (well, almost). I don't have to fight through traffic, I don't have to fight for a spot in the parking lot, I don't have to stand in line. I just click and buy and wait a few days and my package of goodies is at my door.

Magic. I still go shopping in malls, but not as much.

3. Advances in medical science.

I had quintuple bypass heart surgery almost six years ago. Medical science has continued to progress ... to the point that my surgery was pretty much routine. Thank God! When they announced I would have to have it, we were all stunned, of course. No one thought for a second, however, that I would die. Such surgery has become commonplace, and in most cases about as close to "guaranteed success" as you can get.

Think about all the advances we've had in the past 40 years. In that time, the MRI was invented and it has been used all around the world. What an amazing machine! We have improvements in organ transplants and bionic limbs. We have seen advances in cancer treatment ... so much so that if some cancers are discovered early enough the patient has great odds at surviving and beating it entirely.

What a breakthrough laparoscopic surgery is! Just 25 years ago, the standard surgery for something like appendicitis required quite a cut across the lower right quadrant of the torso and a recovery of two or three days in the hospital. Now, with laparoscopic surgery, they just poke two holes in you, yank that old appendix out, and you go home that afternoon! (You can tell I am not a medical doctor, but I have seen many patients go home the day of the surgery because of this wonderful treatment.)

These articles from the Cleveland Clinic, CNN, and Health24 detail the advances in medical science over the past few decades, and what we can expect in the years to come.

4. Computer-generated graphics.

Remember the original Star Trek? I do. I loved it! I thought the coolest thing about the show was the opening scene when the Enterprise whooshed across the screen in one second!

Remember that scene in the original "Star Wars" (1977) when Han Solo put the Millennial Falcon in hyperdrive and all those stars just stretched and everyone in the audience just leaned back in their seats like gravity was actually sucking them backwards?

Man, that stuff just blew us away. However, all those special effects are kid stuff compared to what computer graphics can do today. In movies today you can see ancient cities like Rome or Athens look like they have been brought back to life, or entirely fictitious civilizations (as in Avatar) look like you could reach out and touch them.

What do you do when you don't have enough soldiers in costumes to reenact a Napoleonic battle? You just use computer graphics and create a whole army of realistic soldiers to stand behind your actors. (Pretty soon maybe we won't even need Hollywood actors!) Gone are the days when we'll see Captain Kirk wrestling a guy dressed up in a dragon suit.

5. More media.

We used to have ONLY CBS, NBC, and ABC. That was it. Take it or leave it. The "big three" had a monopoly on the news and how they could mold it or manufacture it, and serve it up to us. CNN entered the picture in the 1980s.

Today, we not only have Fox News and MSNBC joining the mainstream media, but we also have talk radio (most notably Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity). Through the Internet, we also have outlets such as CRTV, Ben Shapiro's Daily Wire, the Daily Beast, PJ Media (hooray!!!!), Steven Crowder, POLITICO, the Hill, the whole span of social media, and pretty much every kind of journalistic outlet you can imagine (unless Google and Facebook censor you).

There are YouTube channels galore, and you can go to any kind of news source you want instantly. Tired of getting the same fake news every day from the same sources? There is an alternative media nowadays that did not exist 40 years ago. Even with certain tech giants pulling the plug on news outlets they deem unworthy, we still have a greater variety in media than we did a generation or two ago.

6. The Soviet Union is gone!

Think about that. If you're having a really bad day, just remember how one of the most evil murderous regimes in history collapsed on itself and bit the dust. That will make you smile.

One of the happiest days of my life was December 25, 1991. On the day that millions of Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, the blood-soaked hammer and sickle of the USSR was hauled down over the Kremlin. I never ... ever ... thought I would live to see that day.

Man, when I was growing up, we were honestly scared to death of the Soviet Union. We thought they were going to win! Throughout the 1970s we saw the fall of Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia. We saw nations in Africa taken over by Soviet allies (Ethiopia, Mozambique, Angola). Nicaragua was ruled by Soviet-backed communists. Then they invaded Afghanistan. It looked pretty grim forty years ago, didn't it?

But the Soviet Union caved in on itself.

I know, I know ... plenty of people will tell me that communism is making a come back here in the U.S., and we have plenty of Leftist criminals in our government seemingly "getting away with it." We also have other challenges from jihadists in our midst and narco-terrorists coming here from Latin America. Yes, these are some mighty serious things.

Just remember how the USSR was defeated, though. The way things are now, they won't be this way forever. Just like the Soviet communists were swept away, so will the modern version be swept away in due time. I believe that right will prevail. Keep looking up, folks.

7. Instant communication.

Instant communication could go both ways too, couldn't it? Sometimes I wonder if I'm too attached to my phone or iPad. I remember the olden days of rotary dial phones, long phone cords. (Now I see rotary dial phones in museums and my kids ask, "How do you dial on that thing, Daddy?") If you dialed and no one was there to answer, all you got was a busy signal. There were no answering machines, no voicemail.

Today, however, I can call ... and leave a message, or send a text! How convenient! I know that the text has been sent, and the person I sent it to will get back to me soon (hopefully).

With my phone, I have GPS. This has been such a help when navigating through unfamiliar cities. In the ancient world, we had to get out the big Rand McNally map and try to find the major roads in the cities. The GPS in my phone is so much easier.

Plus, I can call anybody I want whenever I want. I save so much time while driving now by making my calls on the way to or from work. If I have a question about some issue of the day, or if I just want to know the five-day forecast, I just type or speak into my phone and instantly there's the answer! I love it!

The days of the Dick Tracy "two-way wrist TV" or the Star Trek "flip phone" are here! In fact, technology today has far surpassed what science fiction thought we would have by now. Here's a great article about Star Trek gadgets that are no longer science fiction now.

Of course, there are plenty of problems with all this advancement in communication technology. People get too absorbed in their phones, people forget how to socialize, there are tracking devices in your phone, and all those are legitimate concerns. I just thank God, however, that when there is an emergency, and I need to call the police or an ambulance, I can instantly get them on the phone I am carrying in my pocket.

Even with all this, I have barely scratched the surface. I could have talked about the great advances in automobiles or energy exploration or space exploration or the great abilities of the US military. I could have given details on how crime has actually gone DOWN over the past few decades and we are actually safer (across the board), believe it or not. Maybe all that is for a future article.

Just look around and think about some of these great things that have happened, smile, and be grateful.
    https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/7-ways...-40-years-ago/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Yes. "Those were the days." wistfully stated by those with nostalgic interest.

Yes, indeed. Those were the days of socially conditioned naivete, credulity, and ignorance that led to the mess we are confronted with today.
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.” Robert A. Heinlein

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234