Patriotic
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Obama Tars Clinton with the Bush Brush

eyes:Obama tars Clinton with the Bush brush (!)

dtelegraph 05/05/2008

Barack Obama, struggling to contain a surging Hillary Clinton (?), has hit back against his dogged Democratic rival by branding her a President George W. Bush clone for threatening to "totally obliterate" Iran.

"It's not the language that we need right now, and I think it's language that's reflective of George Bush," he said on NBC television. "We have had a foreign policy of bluster and sabre-rattling and tough talk, and in the meantime we make a series of strategic decisions that actually strengthen Iran."

But Mrs Clinton, who narrowly leads in polls in Indiana and has crept up to within striking distance of Mr Obama in North Carolina, was unrepentant about her vow to respond in kind if Iran launched a nuclear attack on Israel. North Carolina and Indiana go to the polls on Monday.

"Why would I have any regrets? I am asked a question about what I would do if Iran attacked our ally, a country that many of us have a great deal of, you know, connection with and feeling for," Mrs Clinton told voters in a moderated session shown on ABC News.

"I think we have to be very clear about what we would do. I don't think it is time to equivocate about what we would do. I sure want to make it abundantly clear to them that they would face a tremendous cost if they did such a thing."

The sharp exchange between the two Democratic candidates on duelling Sunday morning talk shows encapsulated the state of their tight race with Mr Obama portraying Mrs Clinton as an unprincipled opportunist and she painting him as an unpatriotic wimp.

Mr Obama emerged unscathed from a 45-minute grilling - albeit more polite and restrained than Jeremy Paxman or John Humphrys even on an average day - by Tim Russert of NBC's "Meet the Press".

He was pressed on his association with the Reverend Jeremiah Wright, his fiery former pastor whose "God damn America" sermons and claims that the US government invented AIDS to kill black people, have alienated many white voters.

Stating that he had severed relations with Mr Wright, his pastor for 20 years and who married him and baptised his two daughters, Mr Obama promised that he would "absolutely not" seek counsel from him in the White House, adding: "I never sought his counsel when it came to policy."

He conceded that he might have dealt with the Wright issue, which could have the potential to scupper him in a general election against John McCain, the Republican nominee, earlier. "When you're in national politics, it's always good to pull the Band-Aid off quick. Life's messy sometimes...all this stuff is happening under a spotlight and you need to deal with it quickly."

Aides to Mr Obama hope that the furore over Mr Wright, which has twice flared in recent weeks, has now died down. But it has damaged Mr Obama in national polls and made him suddenly vulnerable in North Carolina, where he appeared to be coasting to an easy win, and boosted Mrs Clinton in Indiana, considered a toss-up state.

Mr Obama accused Mrs Clinton of pandering to voters on Iran and also her proposal, previously put forward by Mr McCain, for a "gas-tax holiday" - a suspension of the tax on petrol over the summer.

The gas tax was, he said, a "classic Washington gimmick" because it could not be funded, would save the average motorist no more than $28, would take money away from fixing roads and bridges and was a political non-starter because Mr Bush was in office.

"This defines, I think, the difference between myself and Senator Clinton."

Although Mr Obama is on the back foot in Indiana and, to a lesser extent, North Carolina, Mrs Clinton's options narrow by the day.

The two candidates split the vote in tiny Guam on Saturday and Mr Obama should still maintain a lead of more than 100 pledged delegates - those allocated by votes even if he loses a string of the remaining six contests.

That would leave Mrs Clinton needing to persuade three quarters of the 270 or so undecided "super-delegates" - party officials not tied to votes - to swing behind her after voting ceases on June 3rd.eyes:

---------------------------------------

Muslims for Obama? - really??

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Let's fix this statement:

"Why would I have any regrets? I am asked a question about what I would do if Iran attacked Israel, a country that many of my campaign contributors have a great deal of, you know, connection with and feeling for," Mrs Clinton told voters in a moderated session shown on ABC News.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 07:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Yes, Hillary has brought pandering to a new level. Now, all the Neocons, Crystal, even O'Reiley have jumped on the Hillary bandwagon. So have the Neocon ( aka Eastern Liberal Establishment) media. They want to pick two pro-Israeli candidates so that no matter who wins, Zion wins.

It may surprise people but of the three remaining, I like Obama the best.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 29th, 2012 @ 11:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo - Saxon.
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    [Psychologist]
    Politics
    Patriotic
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    It is very odd therefore that certain Rightwing British newspapers - which are solidly proIsrael - seem also to favour Obama. Are they playing a 'clever' game - knowing that Obama "couldn't be elected in America !!" ( ?? really) ... or do they feel sure that the international would ultimately be in control of an Obama presidency. I am bewildered by the whole American thing!!

Time will tell....

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    It is very odd therefore that certain Rightwing British newspapers - which are solidly proIsrael - seem also to favour Obama. Are they playing a 'clever' game - knowing that Obama "couldn't be elected in America !!" ( ?? really) ... or do they feel sure that the international would ultimately be in control of an Obama presidency. I am bewildered by the whole American thing!!

Time will tell....
    If these are neo-conservative publications, quite possibly they think McCain could stand a better chance of defeating Obama than Clinton. Or they may just be taken in by the hype like everything else.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Saturday, October 4th, 2008 @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't understand why we care about the Middle East. We live in the United States of America, not Israel. We should just keep to ourselves and keep out of overseas politics. If anyone decides to attack us, we have a military large enough to outnumber any country (except Russia) and several of its allies. We can protect ourselves, but why do we have to protect everyone else.

Last Online
    Thursday, March 29th, 2012 @ 11:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo - Saxon.
    Ancestry
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    [Psychologist]
    Politics
    Patriotic
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veratýr View Post
    I don't understand why we care about the Middle East. We live in the United States of America, not Israel. We should just keep to ourselves and keep out of overseas politics. If anyone decides to attack us, we have a military large enough to outnumber any country (except Russia) and several of its allies. We can protect ourselves, but why do we have to protect everyone else.
    Isolationism has always had its attractions for some. Others have vibrant roots in old Europe - or at least from time to time. I can't speak for Americans - I can only wonder and marvel! When modern Europa needs sorting - its has generally been America which sorts it! Yes - there are always gripes about the tactics or methods - but the principle remains. Heaven help us if it is ever to be Russia --- or China!

---

The Democrats keep us all entertained! Clinton's latest WIN sure suggests that there is a significant block of white voters who would not want to support Obama . If they don't - then can Obama win ? To what extent should the SuperDeligates take this consideration seriously --- or are are they simply willing to take a ( /the) gamble?eyes:

Hillary Clinton's West Virginia win raises doubt over Barack Obama's ability

Telegraph 14/05/2008

Senator Hillary Clinton scored a convincing victory over Senator Barack Obama in West Virginia last night, raising doubts about his electability in white, blue collar states but failing to improve her chances of winning their marathon contest for the Democratic Party’s nomination.

With 25 per cent of votes counted, the former First Lady was heading for victory margin of two to one in a conservative state that played to her strengths.

Speaking before supporters in Charleston, the West Virginian capital, chanting “It’s not over!”, Mrs Clinton vowed to stay in the race until the final primaries on June 3.

Arguing that she would be the strongest candidate, she said: “The bottom line is, the White House is won in swing states, and I am winning the swing states.” Since 1916, no one has won the presidency without taking West Virginia. ( ?? so)

She however offered rare praise of her opponent, saying they had “always stood together on what’s most important”. Indicating that she would bow out graciously when the time comes she added that she would “work her heart out for the Democrat nominee”.

Terry McAuliffe, her campaign chairman, insisted that she still had a “path to the nomination”, though Mr Obama’s delegate lead can now only be overturned by an overwhelming majority of super-delegates - party leaders and officials with a free vote in the nomination.

He insisted the Clinton campaign was raising enough money to continue through the remaining five primaries, and would “worry about” its $20 million (£10 million) debt when the race was over.

“We are in this to win and we are going to keep going,” he said, adding that after the last primaries on June 3 super-delegates would have “to come to a hard decision” about which Democratic was better positioned to beat Republican John McCain in November’s presidential election.

Exit polls showed that nearly half of Clinton supporters would not vote for Mr Obama if he were the nominee, following similar statistics in recent primaries in North Carolina, Indiana and Pennsylvania.

After casting his vote in Belle, a blue collar town half an hour down the Kanawha River from Charleston, Troy Finlen said: “I hope he doesn’t win because as a Democrat I will have trouble voting for him. There is something about him, about who he is, that I don’t quite trust.”

Michael Drake said he would never vote for Mr Obama because “it would be a big mistake for the country”. “It’s his religious background. My wife said he’s got Muslim family or something,” he added. :

Mr Obama had conceded defeat in advance, preferring to concentrate his energies on the probable battle ahead with Republican nominee John McCain, given his seemingly insurmountable lead in the tally of pledged delegates.

But it served as a reminder of the difficulties he faces in persuading voters in America’s “redneck belt” to support his historic bid to become the country’s first black president.

Though the young black senator has won millions of white voters, he has struggled with the elderly, rural and blue collar whites, particularly in the Appalachian mountainseyes:, that stretch from northern Georgia to Pennsylvania, passing through several swing states.

Asked how he would combat negative perceptions, Mr Obama said: “You know we just have to get information out ... all these phoney emails talking how I don’t pledge allegiance are just political smears.”

-----------------

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post

The Democrats keep us all entertained! Clinton's latest WIN sure suggests that there is a significant block of white voters who would not want to support Obama . If they don't - then can Obama win ? To what extent should the SuperDeligates take this consideration seriously --- or are are they simply willing to take a ( /the) gamble?eyes:
    This is a legitimate issue that Clinton has raised. I know several persons who are in favor of Hillary who just 6-months ago wouldn't have dreamed of supporting her. Most of them will not admit to not supporting Obama because he his Black, but because he is inexperience or they have an odd feeling about Obama. It is ironic that the Clintons are pandering to White voters, something I never thought I would see. If Clinton does manage to get the Democratic nomination it will be because of the racial bias of many White voters, especially Reagan Democrats. Hillary would beat McCain. McCain is too old - he seems older then Reagan who left the White House just shy of 78, though he'll (McCain)be 72 in January. And McCain will not be able to shake off the legacy of the Bush presidency. By all rights the Democrats should reap a historical landslide in November. But if the Democrats nominate Obama, McCain will win, even with the Democrats winning increased majorities in both houses of Congress.

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 @ 09:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Film Student
    Politics
    rergreheh
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Who cares? This is all being intentionally drawn out by the democratic think tanks in order to derive as much theatrical attention as possible from the American herds before the great charade of 08 begins.