Thread: Kissing Cousins Produce More Kids and Grandchildren – Claims Iceland Study

Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Kissing Cousins Produce More Kids and Grandchildren – Claims Iceland Study

Iceland's 'Kissing Cousins' Breed More Kids
    Researchers Remain Unclear on Reasons Behind Apparent Trend

They would show a white couple holding hands SDM

While the thought of searching for a potential mate at a family reunion might sound repulsive to some, researchers in Iceland report that "kissing cousins" may produce more children and grandchildren than unrelated couples.

A study released Thursday in the journal Science found that marriages between third or fourth cousins in Iceland tended to produce more children and grandchildren than those between completely unrelated individuals.

Researchers at the deCODE Genetics company in Reykjavik mapped out kinship among all known Icelandic couples whose members were born between 1800 and 1965. They then compared the numbers of children and grandchildren descended from these 160,811 couples.

Researchers were shocked to find that for women born between 1800 and 1824, marriages between third cousins produced an average of 4.04 children and 9.17 grandchildren, while marriages between eighth cousins or more distantly related couples had averages of only 3.34 children and 7.31 grandchildren.

For women born between 1925 and 1949, with mates related at the degree of third cousins, the average number of children and grandchildren were 3.27 and 6.64, compared with 2.45 and 4.86 for those with mates who were eighth cousins, or more distantly related.

"These are counterintuitive, almost dislikable results," said Dr. Kari Stefansson, senior author of the paper on the study.

Dislikable, because our intuition is that the more closely related you are to your mate, the higher the chances of passing along the unfortunate traits so often associated with inbreeding.

Researchers believe the trend toward a more prodigious relationship with a not-so-distant relative must have a biological basis, though scientists have not identified exactly what biological mechanism could be behind this.

"One of the things you have to realize is that the definition of a species is 'a group of individuals that are sufficiently related to each other to be able to reproduce,'" Stefansson added. "This definition assumes that individuals that reproduce together have a minimal relationship to each other.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Reprodu...4258128&page=1

I wonder what is the main point of this article? I think its claiming inbreeding resulting an impact on intellectual and mentally retarded. Typical researchers
    Jeg er over gjennomsnittet bitter, og liker stort sett ingen andre enn meg selv

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 10:40 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    Netherlands, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, England, Scotland & Normandy
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    South Holland South Holland
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Musician
    Politics
    Free-Thinker & Anti-Monarchist
    Religion
    Heiden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wonder what is the main point of this article? I think its claiming inbreeding resulting an impact on intellectual and mentally retarded. Typical researchers
    Same here only thing i get out of it is that alot there are inbreed people in Iceland.
    Sounds like the people from Morocco that live here 60% or so breeds with familly....:

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 28th, 2008 @ 07:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    British
    Subrace
    sub-nordic
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    National Anarchist
    Religion
    Hatha Yoga
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think that it sounds like vindication of the optimum out-breeding principle.

Breeding with third or fourth cousins is perhaps optimal.

I would like to see the facts and figures on transracial couples.

Last Online
    Saturday, November 7th, 2009 @ 01:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scots/Welsh/Nordic/Irish/Strathclyde Briton
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    California California
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    writer
    Politics
    Jeffersonian Democrat
    Religion
    Zennist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post

Iceland's 'Kissing Cousins' Breed More Kids
    Researchers Remain Unclear on Reasons Behind Apparent Trend

They would show a white couple holding hands SDM

While the thought of searching for a potential mate at a family reunion might sound repulsive to some, researchers in Iceland report that "kissing cousins" may produce more children and grandchildren than unrelated couples.

A study released Thursday in the journal Science found that marriages between third or fourth cousins in Iceland tended to produce more children and grandchildren than those between completely unrelated individuals.

Researchers at the deCODE Genetics company in Reykjavik mapped out kinship among all known Icelandic couples whose members were born between 1800 and 1965. They then compared the numbers of children and grandchildren descended from these 160,811 couples.

Researchers were shocked to find that for women born between 1800 and 1824, marriages between third cousins produced an average of 4.04 children and 9.17 grandchildren, while marriages between eighth cousins or more distantly related couples had averages of only 3.34 children and 7.31 grandchildren.

For women born between 1925 and 1949, with mates related at the degree of third cousins, the average number of children and grandchildren were 3.27 and 6.64, compared with 2.45 and 4.86 for those with mates who were eighth cousins, or more distantly related.

"These are counterintuitive, almost dislikable results," said Dr. Kari Stefansson, senior author of the paper on the study.

Dislikable, because our intuition is that the more closely related you are to your mate, the higher the chances of passing along the unfortunate traits so often associated with inbreeding.

Researchers believe the trend toward a more prodigious relationship with a not-so-distant relative must have a biological basis, though scientists have not identified exactly what biological mechanism could be behind this.

"One of the things you have to realize is that the definition of a species is 'a group of individuals that are sufficiently related to each other to be able to reproduce,'" Stefansson added. "This definition assumes that individuals that reproduce together have a minimal relationship to each other.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Reprodu...4258128&page=1

Gee whiz why the study haven't they heard of Kentucky?
    Hurrah!,Hurrah! for Southern Rights
    Hurrah,Hurragh for the Bonnie Blue Flag
    that Bears a Single Star

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    3rd and 4th cousins aren't really that closely related, having only 1/8 and 1/16 common recent ancestors compared to 1/2 for 1st cousins or all of them for siblings.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Film Student
    Politics
    rergreheh
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    That actually seems to fit perfectly with the notion that human beings are initially from a tribal society. Tribal societies tend to run in the thousands so it would have similar circumstances to isolated societies like that of Iceland.

Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 08:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic, 1/4 Eng
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My parents are related seven generations back, they have two offsprings(my brother and I) but my uncle(father's side) on the other hand and his wife who are fourth generation cousins have five children. I guess there might be some truth to this.

I wish the Icelandic gene pool was a bit more diverse and larger, Inherited genetic disorders are a bit more common here than in the rest of Europe.