Thread: 'Anti-English' Presenter Race Row

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 @ 07:33 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

'Anti-English' Presenter Race Row

An oldie from 2001. Anti-English sentiment has risen in Wales and Scotland since they got their own parliaments.

A Welsh-language television presenter who admitted she is racist and hates the English is to be reported to the Commission for Racial Equality and the police.

Beca Brown said she hated the English "as a race, as people, as a country, and for what they've done to Wales and the Welsh".

She was writing in Welsh affairs magazine Barn, the same publication used by former Welsh Language Board chairman John Elfed Jones in August to compare English-speaking incomers with foot-and-mouth disease.

A regular on Yn Erbyn Y Wal (Against the Wall) and a former UK Journalist of the Year, outspoken Ms Brown wrote: "If there were such a thing as a Racists' Anonymous, I'd go there and say: 'I'm Beca, I'm Welsh and I'm racist.'

"I hate the English because they're the English. It's high time we told the truth. It wouldn't be a negative thing to admit we're racist - not a sign of weakness either, because we've got every reason to feel that way about England."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/1512096.stm

This anti-English thing is news to me, but looking back it explains a lot.

Last Online
    Monday, August 20th, 2012 @ 12:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    HAHA. Good for her then. She hates the English? I wonder how much she hates the Arabs and Eastern Europeans.

She shouldn't be imprisoned or fined in my opinion...she dislikes the English, Sounds healthy to me.

Last Online
    Sunday, April 15th, 2012 @ 11:42 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bayern, Baden, Schwaben, Württemberg
    Country
    German Empire German Empire
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soten View Post
    HAHA. Good for her then. She hates the English? I wonder how much she hates the Arabs and Eastern Europeans.

She shouldn't be imprisoned or fined in my opinion...she dislikes the English, Sounds healthy to me.
    It is healthy to care about and take care of your own no matter who they are.
    Im surprised anyone is trying to bring charges against her. usually no one cares if anything bad happens to any of our people.but if something happens to a turk, muslim, african it makes front page in every newspaper.
    "Sei, was Du willst, aber was Du bist, habe den Mut ganz zu sein."
    (Albert Leo Schlageter)

"Deutsche Einigkeit, meine Stärke - meine Stärke, Deutschlands Macht" (Hermann)

Last Online
    Friday, February 8th, 2019 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brünn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dæg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    *YAWN*

Alright Love! Come back to Earth when you have it out of your system.
    It really does bore me when I hear this nonsense from peoples mouths.

"The English have done this" - "The English have done that" - "The English are this and that"
    There was one bloke who I knew in Guernsey who was Scottish and hated the English. Any chance he could he would deride the English.
    It turns out he married an English woman and had a home in Warwickshire.

:crazy001:

These people should be locked up in a cold dark room and every hour have a rinse down with freezing water till they come to their senses.
    "The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent."

Last Online
    Friday, April 27th, 2012 @ 09:33 PM
    Ethnicity
    anglo-welsh
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    History Teacher
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    Asatruer/Vanatruer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Cyfarchion

I am Anglo Welsh. My father is from Caernarfon and my mother comes from good Anglo-Saxon stock. I understand why some Welsh people feel they have been exploited by the English but I am not sure why this should become hatred. What a lot of emotional energy wasted. I live in Leeds and Tanygrisiau and in the slate town of Blaenau-Ffestiniog the quarrymen were expected to go to chapel during the week and maybe 3 times on a Sunday. I don't know but I would imagine that the chances of a decent spot at work or maybe even getting served at the grocer's could well have been affected if you did not go and the manager at work or the shopkeeper were Christian fanatics. I would say that while the English may have nicked a bit of land etc it was the Christians who tried to steal their souls. That is worth hatred.
    I am curious that her name is Brown. Not very Welsh at all. My guess is (and I think my dog could have worked this out) that somewhere down the road, Mr Brown the Englishman married Mrs ?? the Welshwoman. Such hatred for your ancestors????

wasshael

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 28th, 2008 @ 08:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    British
    Subrace
    sub-nordic
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    National Anarchist
    Religion
    Hatha Yoga
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The Welsh tradition is to divide your estate equally between all your children, legitimate and illegitimate, whereas the English tradition is to favour the eldest son, primogeniture.

The Welsh culture is responsible for the dissipation of Welsh-owned land.

Last Online
    Monday, May 30th, 2011 @ 10:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cohee
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    electrical engineer
    Politics
    immoderate
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the Venerable Bede's response to the charges of English oppression and bigotry:

CHAPTER XIV

THE BRITONS, COMPELLED BY FAMINE, DROVE THE BARBARIANS OUT OF THEIR TERRITORIES; SOON AFTER THERE ENSUED PLENTY OF CORN, LUXURY, PLAGUE, AND THE SUBVERSION OF THE NATION. [A.D. 426*447.]

IN the meantime, the aforesaid famine distressing the Britons more and more, and leaving to posterity lasting memorials of its mischievous effects, obliged many of them to submit themselves to the depredators; though others still held out, confiding in the Divine assistance, when none was to be had from men. These continually made excursions from the mountains, caves, and woods, and, at length, began to inflict severe losses on their enemies, who had been for so many years plundering the country. The Irish robbers thereupon returned home, in order to come again soon after. The Picts, both then and afterwards, remained quiet in the farthest part of the island, save that sometimes they would do some mischief, and carry off booty from the Britons.

When however, the ravages of the enemy at length ceased, the island began to abound with such plenty of grain as had never been known in any age before; with plenty, luxury increased, and this was immediately attended with all sorts of crimes; in particular, cruelty, hatred of truth, and love of falsehood; insomuch, that if any one among them happened to be milder than the rest, and inclined to truth, all the rest abhorred and persecuted him, as if he had been the enemy of his country. Nor were the laity only guilty of these things, but even our Lord's own flock, and his pastors also, addicting themselves to drunkenness, animosity, litigiousness, contention, envy, and other such like crimes, and casting off the light yoke of Christ. In the meantime, on a sudden, a severe plague fell upon that corrupt generation, which soon destroyed such numbers of them, that the living were scarcely sufficient to bury the dead: yet, those that survived, could not be withdrawn from the spiritual death, which their sins had incurred, either by the death of their friends, or the fear of their own. Whereupon, not long after, a more severe vengeance, for their horrid wickedness, fell upon the sinful nation. They consulted what was to be done, and where they should seek assistance to prevent or repel the cruel and frequent incursions of the northern nations; and they all agreed with their King Vortigern to call over to their aid, from the parts beyond the sea, the Saxon nation; which, as the event still more evidently showed, appears to have been done by the appointment of our Lord Himself, that evil might fall upon them for their wicked deeds.
    From Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English Nation

Last Online
    Monday, May 30th, 2011 @ 10:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cohee
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    electrical engineer
    Politics
    immoderate
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The funny and sad thing is that this squabbling over devolution in the U.K. and all the Celts vs. the perfidious Saxon nonsense is gonna look like a joke when the United States explodes into all out ethnic/sectional civil war within one or two generations.

Last Online
    Saturday, November 7th, 2009 @ 02:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scots/Welsh/Nordic/Irish/Strathclyde Briton
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    California California
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    writer
    Politics
    Jeffersonian Democrat
    Religion
    Zennist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loftor View Post
    An oldie from 2001. Anti-English sentiment has risen in Wales and Scotland since they got their own parliaments.

A Welsh-language television presenter who admitted she is racist and hates the English is to be reported to the Commission for Racial Equality and the police.

Beca Brown said she hated the English "as a race, as people, as a country, and for what they've done to Wales and the Welsh".

She was writing in Welsh affairs magazine Barn, the same publication used by former Welsh Language Board chairman John Elfed Jones in August to compare English-speaking incomers with foot-and-mouth disease.

A regular on Yn Erbyn Y Wal (Against the Wall) and a former UK Journalist of the Year, outspoken Ms Brown wrote: "If there were such a thing as a Racists' Anonymous, I'd go there and say: 'I'm Beca, I'm Welsh and I'm racist.'

"I hate the English because they're the English. It's high time we told the truth. It wouldn't be a negative thing to admit we're racist - not a sign of weakness either, because we've got every reason to feel that way about England."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/1512096.stm

This anti-English thing is news to me, but looking back it explains a lot.
    Oy vey,.You know if you study genealogy,and your ancestors are from Ireland Or Wales or Scotland..You quickly discover your ancestors are all mixed by nationally. It would not surprise me if her ancestor's were 90 percent Anglo Saxon or even Norman.
    One o my Scots "Cuzens" was hot and heavy into his ancestors until Edward I turned up and his 19 generation grandpa. Oh the Misery!!. Being a kindly Border Reiver type myself,I comforted him by nicknaming him Long Shanks and Hammer.
    Hurrah!,Hurrah! for Southern Rights
    Hurrah,Hurragh for the Bonnie Blue Flag
    that Bears a Single Star