Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Real Good Life: An Entire Village Turns Against Supermarkets and Grows Its Own Food

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 10:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Norway, Sweden, Germany
    Country
    England England
    Married
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Real Good Life: An Entire Village Turns Against Supermarkets and Grows Its Own Food

"The Hampshire village is now home to hundreds of real life versions of the characters played by Felicity Kendall and Richard Briers, who lived off the land in the 1970s BBC comedy.

They work on a rota system and raise their own chickens and pigs and grow potatoes, garlic, onions, chillis and green vegetables on eight acres of rented land.

Of the 164 families who live in Martin, 101 have signed up as members of Future Farms for an annual £2 fee, although the produce can be sold to anyone who wants to buy it.

The "community allotment" sells 45 types of vegetables and 100 chickens a week, and is run by a committee which includes a radiologist, a computer programmer and a former probation officer."

The rest of the article is available here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

I like the idea. What are your thoughts?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 28th, 2008 @ 07:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    British
    Subrace
    sub-nordic
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    National Anarchist
    Religion
    Hatha Yoga
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Forestfrost View Post
    "The Hampshire village is now home to hundreds of real life versions of the characters played by Felicity Kendall and Richard Briers, who lived off the land in the 1970s BBC comedy.

They work on a rota system and raise their own chickens and pigs and grow potatoes, garlic, onions, chillis and green vegetables on eight acres of rented land.

Of the 164 families who live in Martin, 101 have signed up as members of Future Farms for an annual £2 fee, although the produce can be sold to anyone who wants to buy it.

The "community allotment" sells 45 types of vegetables and 100 chickens a week, and is run by a committee which includes a radiologist, a computer programmer and a former probation officer."

The rest of the article is available here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

I like the idea. What are your thoughts?
    It is fabulous, but why restrict it to vegetables?

The villagers could also open up a premises and sell other products that they cannot produce at a cheaper price than the supermarket now that they have the collective buying power.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Fantastic! This is what I call "creative resistance" :thumb001:

Last Online
    Friday, February 8th, 2019 @ 10:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brünn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dæg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think it a great mission this community has set itself.

I have often had dreams of growing crops of sort to sustain me and my family. A lack of 'green fingers' has stopped me. I think supermarket prices are far in excess of what its real value is.

I remember living with my partners family in N.I was nice for having fresh eggs every morning, so perhaps I may have chickens and perhaps a Goat for its milk :p
    "The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent."

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This could actually be the way forward. Not only will it strenghten a sense of community and might it be a tool in the preservation of crop varieties and even herbs (and other species) it might also help to preserve traditions. With a bit of luck it might also develop their skills for farming and survival- a thing that they will need when the cities and towns become absolute hell-holes.

Last Online
    Monday, March 26th, 2018 @ 11:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    European Blood, American Soil
    Ancestry
    English, Swedish, Scottish, Irish, German, Welsh
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Beyond left and right
    Religion
    Odin/Thor/Freyr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It not only preserves traditions and crop varieties, it builds skills for farming that may someday become a necessity for survival.

At least that is what I tell myself as I dig compost into what used to be lawn as I prepare a few more rows of vegetables - not enough to live on, but enough to improve by knowledge of gardening over last year. When the economy completely collapses, I should know how to feed myself and kin.
    The sitters in the hall seldom know
    The kin of the new-comer:
    The best man is marred by faults,
    The worst is not without worth.
    -- The Havamal, #133 (trans. Auden and Taylor)

Last Online
    Sunday, August 19th, 2012 @ 11:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Loddfafner View Post
    It not only preserves traditions and crop varieties, it builds skills for farming that may someday become a necessity for survival.

At least that is what I tell myself as I dig compost into what used to be lawn as I prepare a few more rows of vegetables - not enough to live on, but enough to improve by knowledge of gardening over last year. When the economy completely collapses, I should know how to feed myself and kin.
    That's exactly what I've been thinking about doing once I get a place of my own that with any luck will have the space for it. I managed to get my girlfriend interested in the idea. She wants to can vegetables. On top of vegetables and chickens, I would probably want rabbits and a goat or two. But I'll definitely just start out with vegetables.

I've been having thoughts about the economy collapsing as well and how I would need to survive. These skills would be essential. I would have to figure out where to move to though...the people around here are likely to turn to cannibalism. ...or is it re-turn. :p

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Film Student
    Politics
    rergreheh
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This sort of agricultural movement is one of the only sort of resistence that will give us ground. The governments are far too corrupt to be manipulated into giving our people any sort of respect or dignity. And for trivia, the volkish movement of the post industrial era that revitalized interest in Germanic paganism and values started as an agricultural youth movement.

Last Online
    Friday, July 26th, 2019 @ 11:19 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Oxon, Bucks and Ulster
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Politics
    Nationalism, Neoreactionary
    Religion
    God the father
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    How inspiring. What brave people! More power to their elbow, as we say over here! i hope they inspire other communities to follow suit. We need more of this.

Last Online
    Monday, June 7th, 2010 @ 12:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This is like what I have been fantasizing about for a couple of years. I will inherit some arable and wood land, and my dream is to be self-sufficient there and have like-minded people buy land in the same village and we'd start a ethnically homogenous, self-sufficient community, ideally also based on heathen values/culture.

I wouldn't need a modern, overspecialized job (can't imagine sitting in an office or painting walls for others all my life) but do almost everything on my own. Could chop and sell wood, have bees and sell honey and mead, have goat for milk and cheese, chickens for eggs and meat...

This might just be a utopian dream but what is realistic is having a modern job and at least doing some of this on the side. If nothing else, it could lead to eventual later self-sufficiency for me or my descendants.

What bothers me is things like the fact that eating fish equals eating toxics, and drinking water from your own well often equals drinking radon (although that is because of more natural causes than the modern toxics in the sea).

And also that the place where the land I will inherit is seems to be infested with cancer; a lot of people have it — or it just seems so because everyone knows everyone. But one lady I talked to once mentioned five or six siblings with cancer (I don't know if that were all the children in the family, but there couldn't have been many more if not). Whether this is of genetical or environmental reasons (a lot of people drinking water from own wells) I don't know, it sucks either way and makes me doubt moving there.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast