Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    260 Posts

Character Education

The Definition of Character Education

Character education involves teaching children about basic human values including honesty, kindness, generosity, courage, freedom, equality, and respect.

The goal is to raise children to become morally responsible, self-disciplined citizens. Problem solving, decision making, and conflict resolution are important parts of developing moral character. Through role playing and discussions, students can see that their decisions affect other people and things.

Source: From The Language of Learning: A Guide to Education Terms, by J. L. McBrien & R. S. Brandt, pp. 17-18, 1997, Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.

Here some Links:

How Character Education Helps Students Grow, Educational Leadership, Vol. 59, No. 2, October 2001
    Talking About Ethics and Character Education, Education Update, Vol. 42, No. 4, June 2000
    What Makes Character Education Programs Work?, Educational Leadership, Vol. 51, No. 3, November 1993

Do you think Character Education is important to be done in Schools or is it only a Parent's Job? Did you receive any Character Education in School? Did it serve you well? Can Character Education be abused to teach Children too much Political Correctness?

Last Online
    Saturday, December 6th, 2008 @ 11:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Kansas Kansas
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Idealist
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Do you think Character Education is important to be done in Schools or is it only a Parent's Job?
    I believe it the job of both in an ideal society.

Character education involves teaching children about basic human values including honesty, kindness, generosity, courage, freedom, equality, and respect.
    I believe I would substitute Honor where it says Equality and would add Loyalty. But basically I am in agreement.

I think both the Family and School system should instill noble virtues and values in children.
    “Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs-Jon Jay, Federalist Papers

Last Online
    Thursday, September 23rd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hiberno-Norman
    Subrace
    UP/Atlanto Med
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    B-School, Demolition
    Politics
    I do what I can
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I think that in a harmonious society there will be a concensus between different parents and between parnets and the education system about the values that children will be taught. I think that this is sacrificed as a society becomes more diverse multiculturally integrated, and that this is a source of confusion for children and undermines what both parents and the school system want to accomplish. There are other factors such as the media as well. I kind of think when a person is led to accept an extremely wide range of values that it sort of dilutes all of them and leads to an an environment where values are less significant in people's decision making and behavior. So basically I think ideally the answer is both, but I sure as hell wouldn't trust the American Public Education system to shape my children into something i think they should be.

Last Online
    Saturday, December 6th, 2008 @ 11:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Country
    State
    Kansas Kansas
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Idealist
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Solar Wolff View Post
    In the United States, teachers seem unwilling to teach arithmetic, reading and writing but only too willing to teach in art, social studies, music, physical education, etc. In other words they are not able or not willing to do the hard work of education. They send the math and English home for the parents to teach. The teachers refuse to grade based on test scores but rather dial in "citizenship" and other non-academic components. Why would we ever want to give them another soft, wishy-washy, indefinable subject to teach such as Character Education?
    In our current educational system I would not support Character Education. It would be used to further indoctrnate children with multiculturalism. But if we had a proper government and society I believe it would be quite valueable.
    “Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs-Jon Jay, Federalist Papers

Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    It should be the parent's choice. Churches have traditionally held the role of character education of children, parents should be able to choose to send their children to an institution which will give them the type of character education they feel appropriate. Government institutions should not be permitted to engage in 'character eduction' because it will just become brainwashing and indoctrination
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    I'd prefer it under an NS/Monarchal system, sure. Definitely not in a 'democratic' one though. Parents also should do the majority, but such points should be taught to a certain degree in other places as well.

We are born to fight and to die and to continue the Flow
    The Flow of our People

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.