Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mexico Reconquers California? Absolut Drinks to That!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    248 Posts

Wink Mexico Reconquers California? Absolut Drinks to That!

The latest advertising campaign in Mexico from Swedish vodka maker Absolut promises to push all the right buttons south of the U.S. border, but it could ruffle a few feathers in El Norte.

The billboard and press campaign, created by advertising agency Teran\TBWA and now running in Mexico, is a colorful map depicting what the Americas might look like in an "Absolut" -- i.e., perfect -- world.

The U.S.-Mexico border lies where it was before the Mexican-American war of 1848 when California, as we now know it, was Mexican territory and known as Alta California.

Following the war, the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo saw the Mexican territories of Alta California and Santa Fé de Nuevo México ceded to the United States to become modern-day California, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado and Arizona.

The campaign taps into the national pride of Mexicans, according to Favio Ucedo, creative director of leading Latino advertising agency Grupo Gallegos in the U.S.

Ucedo, who is from Argentina, said: “Mexicans talk about how the Americans stole their land, so this is their way of reclaiming it. It’s very relevant and the Mexicans will love the idea.”

But he said that were the campaign to run in the United States, it might fall flat.

“Many people aren’t going to understand it here. Americans in the East and the North or in the center of the county -- I don’t know if they know much about the history.

“Probably Americans in Texas and California understand perfectly and I don’t know how they’d take it.”

Meanwhile, the campaign has been circulating on the blogs and generating strong responses from people north of the border.

“I find this ad deeply offensive, and needlessly divisive. I will now make a point of drinking other brands. And 'vodka and tonic' is my drink,” said one visitor, called New Yorker, on MexicoReporter.com.

Reader Paul Green goes into a discussion on the blog Gateway Pundit of whether the U.S. territories ever belonged to Mexico in the first place, and the News12 Long island site invited people to boycott Absolut, with one user, called LivingSmall, writing: “If you drink Absolut vodka, you can voice your approval or disapproval of this advertising campaign with your purchases. I know I will be switching to Grey Goose or Stoli and will never have another bottle of Absolut in my house.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lapl...-reconque.html

Last Online
    Monday, August 20th, 2012 @ 12:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    “Probably Americans in Texas and California understand perfectly and I don’t know how they’d take it.”

Um, I would imagine they would be the most pissed off seeing as how they live in "Alta California" on this map.

I'll be drinking anything but Absolut.

Last Online
    Friday, July 13th, 2018 @ 10:31 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    California California
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I am really offended by that Ad. Especially since I have long time roots in California (since the late 1850's--you'll note that I am proudly flying the Bear flag).

For those on the Althing who aren't familiar with California history, I'll give a summary of some of the salient points.

California was first settled by Spanish (i.e. not Mexican) missionaries in 1769. From 1769 to 1821 Spain began to colonize Alta California, and after the Mexican Revolution in 1821 California was part of Mexico. Spain and Mexico managed to get about 10,000 people to move here, about 5,000 of them were of mixed Spanish, Amerindian and Mulatto heritage. There were also about 5,000 other Europeans.

Mexico began to mismanage California at that point. They passed the General Law of Expulsion in 1827, which declared that all Spanish citizens were illegal immigrants. They secularized the missions in 1832, and the Franciscans fled. While Mexico was busy squabling over the Ranchos, Whites started moving in.

By the 1830's the Californios considered themselves a separate category from Mexicans. In the meanwhile Whites moved in to Northern California and Sutter threatened to raise the French flag due to discontent with Mexican government. In 1946, non-Mexican settlers raised the Bear Flag in Sonoma, and as the Mexican American war progressed the US took over Northern California (with Frémont's army of 160 men). Mexico then abandoned California and Governor Pio Pico fled to Baja California. Anyway, the Californios did decide to fight the US, and Pico did get Mexican forces to come to fight. However, Mexico lost the war (to the about 700 men strong US forces) and Pico signed the treaty and USA paid Mexico $18,250,000 for California.

So in all, Mexico had control over California for 27 years and now 160 years later they have decided that they want it back? Give me a break.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, August 15th, 2019 @ 03:11 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    England & Norway
    Subrace
    Faelid + Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-M405
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1
    Country
    State
    California California
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Property management
    Politics
    Germanic Preservation
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    We'll I hope more of these adds start popping up, perhaps they will wake up the hidden racist in more white californians.

This add made me punch my desk it made me that mad...

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 07:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    We know our history. For years I lived near Ft. Tejon, sight to the deciding battle between the Americans and Mexicans. My grandson went to school right across the highway from this Civil War era fort. One hundred years after this battle, California had electricity, sewers, freeways, airports and functioned in a fully modern industrial world. Gone were Patrons and Peons, the Mission System (a kind of slavery), illiteracy, corruption, unsanitary conditions and their whole third world way of life. But if you like that life-style, you can always simply drive to Mexico and immerse yourself in the way it was.

Last Online
    Monday, March 12th, 2012 @ 02:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Northwest Europe
    Subrace
    Dalo-Faelid w/ Bruenn
    Country
    Other Other
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    student
    Politics
    Representative Town Meeting
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I know exactly how Texans will take it, because simply YOU DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 2nd, 2009 @ 12:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The ad was only meant for Mexico though and to appeal to a Mexican market... it goes to show the fickleness of corporate advertisement and that they think that only the intended market will see an ad

(Absolut did apologise, by the way)
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 @ 09:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Film Student
    Politics
    rergreheh
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Absolut is a majorly progressive label, Any confirmation yet if they are actually a Swedish owned company and not just based in Sweden? They were the first to start advertising to the gay community with "gay bottles" and try to stay hip on various new fads. Just look at the absolut galleries and you will see what I mean.

I am a big vodka drinker and a quality vodka drinker at that and I pride myself on having never bought a single bottle of Absolut.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 30th, 2008 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Æmeric View Post
    The latest advertising campaign in Mexico from Swedish vodka maker Absolut promises to push all the right buttons south of the U.S. border, but it could ruffle a few feathers in El Norte.
    Absolut is no longer Swedish, it was sold to French company Pernod Ricard SA: http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_...31072009990001
    God expects but one thing of you,
    and that is that you should come out of yourself in so far as you are a created being made
    and let God be God in you.

Meister Eckhart

Do U believe in God? | Svensk förskola | Vem äger media? | CA ban on mom & dad | Birth control causes breast cancer

Last Online
    Sunday, June 8th, 2008 @ 11:22 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    To me it's a humourous advert. Did Absolut intend any harm? There's a good chance that they knew this uproar might happen, it's publicity for the brand.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast