Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post
Quote Originally Posted by The Wagnerian
"If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

-Voltaire
Quote Originally Posted by Hanna
Dostoevsky once wrote "If God did not exist, everything would be permitted"
I believe the essential meaning of these quotes is that we must have some sense of higher purpose beyond mere personal self-gratification. If one's entire purpose in life is self-gratification, then the person generally tends to be disruptive to society as a whole and does nothing to further the continuation of that society which allows him gratification-a leech, a parasite. I believe the essential meaning of these quotes is that we must have some sense of higher purpose beyond mere personal self-gratification.
I think you're spot-on, and I think the alternative to the sentiment expressed in these two quotes is really best captured in things like LaVeyan Satanism and Crowley's Thelema. I think that though it is far worse than simply a negative effect on society; parasites and those who only seek self-gratification lead base lives in general, and to allow them is to encourage the expansion of their brood, to allow the human spirit to flow to the lowest elevation, when we have been given the power of discernment to prevent this from happening.

"This is our purpose: to make as meaningful as possible this life that has been bestowed upon us; to live in such a way that we may be proud; to act in such a way as some part of us lives on."
-Oswald Spengler, 1920