Religion
    Medieval Catholicism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    What is your counter argument?
    Primarily that man could not exist without a deity, because it would lead to complete collapse. I think When Voltaire made the comment he was primarily looking cynically at the need of people to have a God to give them purpose, however I think that there is something deeper to the statement standing alone. I think it hits upon something other than Dostoevsky's mere understanding of God as a moral enforcer. Rather I feel that what Voltaire is emphasising is the utter void created by the absence of a deity. I think Nietzsche highlights this as well in his "God is Dead" argument: the Christian God is dead as an inspiring, influential force and it is necessary for man to seek a new God, the God within: the Übermensch. So indeed, if God did not exist it would be quite necessary to invent him-- when a god dies, a new one must take its place; existentialism, which is largely atheistic, is the void created when the god dies.
    οὐκ ἐμοῦ, ἀλλὰ τοῦ λόγου ἀκούσαντας ὁμολογεῖν σοφόν ἐστιν ἓν πάντα εἶναί.
    Heraclitus

Last Online
    Sunday, May 4th, 2008 @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dostoevsky once wrote "If God did not exist, everything would be permitted", So Charles, we're indeed allowed to do everything if '' God does not exits'' then we're risking being deserted because we can't find anything to fall on either within or outside ourself.Existentialist do not believe in the force of passion.
    Is everything permitted?
    Just because we are capable of doing everything does not mean it is permitted.
    Murder, theft and rape are not permitted, however, people do commit these acts.

Is it possible to deny something that does not exist? Does the denial prove existence?
    "The individual's life is of importance to none besides himself: the point is whether he wishes to escape from history or give his life for it. History recks nothing of human logic"

Oswald Spengler

Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wagnerian View Post
    Primarily that man could not exist without a deity, because it would lead to complete collapse. I think When Voltaire made the comment he was primarily looking cynically at the need of people to have a God to give them purpose, however I think that there is something deeper to the statement standing alone. I think it hits upon something other than Dostoevsky's mere understanding of God as a moral enforcer. Rather I feel that what Voltaire is emphasising is the utter void created by the absence of a deity. I think Nietzsche highlights this as well in his "God is Dead" argument: the Christian God is dead as an inspiring, influential force and it is necessary for man to seek a new God, the God within: the Übermensch. So indeed, if God did not exist it would be quite necessary to invent him-- when a god dies, a new one must take its place; existentialism, which is largely atheistic, is the void created when the god dies.
    I think he's reinforce the enlightenment theory, but have you not notice he didn't have alot of strong point of departure in major metaphysical and epistemological such as Kant, Hume and Locke?. I could say there is no proof of the existence God, neither anyone could prove otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Emder View Post
    Is everything permitted?
    Just because we are capable of doing everything does not mean it is permitted.
    Murder, theft and rape are not permitted, however, people do commit these acts.

Is it possible to deny something that does not exist? Does the denial prove existence?
    Of cus one able to explain someone's actions to be point of departure to a given and special human nature. Suppose God does not exits, do we given a positions and values that could limits or legitimate our behavior, such as rape and crime?
    Jeg er over gjennomsnittet bitter, og liker stort sett ingen andre enn meg selv

Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Life is un-profitable enterprise that disburbs an otherwise blessed of non-exitence"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Do you think unexamined life is unprofitable?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, December 4th, 2009 @ 12:38 PM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Do you think unexamined life is unprofitable?
    Unprofitable i don't know, but probably sweeter. It reminds me a poem of a Portuguese poet, Fernando Pessoa entitled "A ceifeira", it's about the sweetness of being in the world unaware of our existence

"A ceifeira"(a paiting with name of the poem)

Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ''The Matrix'', Some or most of us watched the movie where Mr Reeve's carried an analogous act to the Christian Messiah. What do you think, is the story is an illusion or the Matrix was creating its own illusion ?:

Last Online
    Sunday, May 4th, 2008 @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Please explain how one could be in the world and unaware of their existence unless they are in some way mentally incapacitated.
    "The individual's life is of importance to none besides himself: the point is whether he wishes to escape from history or give his life for it. History recks nothing of human logic"

Oswald Spengler

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, December 4th, 2009 @ 12:38 PM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Emder View Post
    Please explain how one could be in the world and unaware of their existence unless they are in some way mentally incapacitated.
    Perhaps i explained myself wrong, i meant that an ignorant person lives a sweeter life. I don't know if you understood what a "ceifeira" is, look at the painting it portraits two "ceifeiras" working in the field.
    Fernando Pessoa envied their lives because they are happy, they don't have existential doubts.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 30th, 2008 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ''The Matrix'', Some or most of us watched the movie where Mr Reeve's carried an analogous act to the Christian Messiah. What do you think, is the story is an illusion or the Matrix was creating its own illusion ?:

What is perhaps obvious, although worth a mention nevertheless, is that the Matrix is about awareness and consciousness.

My interpretation is that the Matrix highlights how awareness of spiritual matters opens up a whole new world to the aware - a world that gives them a direction in life. Those who know the spiritual world and those who don't respond to experiences in completely different ways, so that they live in different worlds, because the sun of the spiritual world casts new light on the whole world, revealing that it was not what it seemed to be. For those who see with the third eye, those who don't are blind.
    God expects but one thing of you,
    and that is that you should come out of yourself in so far as you are a created being made
    and let God be God in you.

Meister Eckhart

Do U believe in God? | Svensk förskola | Vem äger media? | CA ban on mom & dad | Birth control causes breast cancer

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wagnerian View Post
    "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him."

-Voltaire
    Dostoevsky once wrote "If God did not exist, everything would be permitted"
    I believe the essential meaning of these quotes is that we must have some sense of higher purpose beyond mere personal self-gratification. If one's entire purpose in life is self-gratification, then the person generally tends to be disruptive to society as a whole and does nothing to further the continuation of that society which allows him gratification-a leech, a parasite.

I believe the main message to be derived from the Matrix is that knowledge of our enemy allows us to defeat our enemy.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast