Germanic
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Is Cannabis used for Seidh?

Is there any documented evidence ie. historical sources that record the use of Cannabis whether smoked or eaten for shamanic purposes? Wikipedia says Cannabis flowers were associated with the goddess Freyja.. Wondering if there's any truth to this.. :

Evidence of Cannabis among the cult of Bacchus/Dionysus was used and the Scythians (Indo-European?) used it for funerary purposes so it's not unheard of in the European world.. In the Vedas.. Soma juice, the favored beverage of the gods, are speculated to be a mixture of different ingredients including Cannabis though no direct evidence in the Vedas say it is Cannabis.. But my question is directed more towards the Germanic spectrum..

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 @ 11:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Hiberno-Norman
    Subrace
    UP/Atlanto Med
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    B-School, Demolition
    Politics
    I do what I can
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think its safe to assume they were exposed to and aware of it, and if that holds true i think its safe to assume that some of them used it. Whether or not it was of religous or spiritual nature I wouldn't know. Probably a lot like today, different people use it for different reasaons, and a lot of people don't do it at all.

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Utrecht Utrecht
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathendom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas Aequitas View Post
    Is there any documented evidence ie. historical sources that record the use of Cannabis whether smoked or eaten for shamanic purposes? Wikipedia says Cannabis flowers were associated with the goddess Freyja.. Wondering if there's any truth to this.. :
    Well on an other forum someone quoted this :

Christian Ratsch: Sacred Plants of Ancient Europe
    Here is an involved discussion of the botanical repertoire of the original pagan psychoactive-plant-loving European natives (of which Dr. Ratsch is certainly a respectable member). The talk begins by unshackling the suppressed facts about Cannabis as a native European sacred plant, moving through the trancing, hexing, ritual and aphrodisiac herbs of witchcraft and pre-Christian-era aboriginal religions. Dr. Ratsch gives a simple step-by-step kitchen recipe for making his beloved henbane beer, which he has revived from its origin. Pilsenkraut, or henbane, was the ancient source of Pilsner-type beer, before the enactment of the much-lauded German Beer Purity Laws prohibiting brews other than those made from hops, barley, water & yeast. Ratsch considers this to he the first anti-drug law, aimed by the Church at suppressing pagan home-brews with psychoactive properties!
    But I know very little about this Ratsch credentials. However I wouldn't advice it since :

Since hemp and its bred byform, marijuana, is a testosterone reducer, and Freya is known to be fond of effeminate men, I can see the connection.
    Unless of course you want to become less manly.