Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Germanic Demographic Numbers: How Many Germanics Are There?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 12:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    Being Protestant doesn't make them Germanic.
    Being largely descended from Angles does though! Who are Protestant Celts? In Northern Ireland and Lowland Scotland is where you'll find the majority of them in the British Isles (the former a branch of the latter, who are largely Northumbrian Angles conquered by Gaelic and Norman Kings of Scotland), and thus the parent stock from which colonial varieties originate. The Welsh are numerically less significant.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Protestantism is a religion specific of Germanics and unlike the Catholic Irish, if someone if Scottish and Protestant, he becomes part of the Anglo-American population. Thus Germanic.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 08:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Being largely descended from Angles does though! Who are Protestant Celts? In Northern Ireland and Lowland Scotland is where you'll find the majority of them in the British Isles (the former a branch of the latter, who are largely Northumbrian Angles conquered by Gaelic and Norman Kings of Scotland), and thus the parent stock from which colonial varieties originate. The Welsh are numerically less significant.
    I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that's what he was implying.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachthimmel View Post
    Protestantism is a religion specific of Germanics and unlike the Catholic Irish
    Finland isn't very Germanic.

if someone if Scottish and Protestant, he becomes part of the Anglo-American population
    According to whom? You?

Thus Germanic.
    Again, being Protestant and European doesn't make you Germanic. If you want to talk about being compatible with "Anglo" culture, Catholicism is more closely related and similar to the Anglican Church, even in appearance, than most Protestant denominations in the US. Anyone who has been to either church would know this.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I was speaking about the Protestantism from the British Isles.

According to whom? You?
    No, according to most Americans I know and to the social situation here.

Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No not literally, but they're belong to our social circle as Scandinavians. If Finland competes against Canada in Ice-Hockey, then most Scandinavians hold their thumbs to Finnish. You can't explains that bond in a single word as'' Germanic'' . Just a thought.
    Jeg er over gjennomsnittet bitter, og liker stort sett ingen andre enn meg selv

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I was speaking about the Protestantism from the British Isles.
    Let me quote what I said again.

If you want to talk about being compatible with "Anglo" culture, Catholicism is more closely related and similar to the Anglican Church, even in appearance, than most Protestant denominations in the US. Anyone who has been to either church would know this.
    I'm not as familiar with the Presbyterian church, but like I said, Anglicans are often called "diet Catholics", and the Methodist Church seems to be to a lesser extent, both of which seem to predominate in the UK.

No, according to most Americans I know and to the social situation here.
    Well, I live in the US, too, so I'm pretty aware of the situation. 95% of people in US aren't even going to know what "Anglo" means or what it is referring to, and even if they do, they will have only a vague understanding of it. Aside from "ethnic" cities like Boston, no one-meaning most "whites"-really make any distinction between ethnicity and/or which denomination of Christianity you belong to. Growing up, no one specified ethnicities and no one looked at you differently if you had an Irish or Italian last name, the "white" kids were "white", and even then, most considered themselves "American" before anything else.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Let me quote what I said again.

I'm not as familiar with the Presbyterian church, but like I said, Anglicans are often called "diet Catholics", and the Methodist Church seems to be to a lesser extent, both of which seem to predominate in the UK.

Well, I live in the US, too, so I'm pretty aware of the situation. 95% of people in US aren't even going to know what "Anglo" means or what it is referring to, and even if they do, they will have only a vague understanding of it. Aside from "ethnic" cities like Boston, no one-meaning most "whites"-really make any distinction between ethnicity and/or which denomination of Christianity you belong to. Growing up, no one specified ethnicities and no one looked at you differently if you had an Irish or Italian last name, the "white" kids were "white", and even then, most considered themselves "American" before anything else.
    I don't know where you live in the US, but over here in the South Catholic Irish and Italians aren't considered the same as Protestant English. Italians are actually not even counted as white most of the time. Irish are like an ethnic group of their own. Some identify with the IRA and such, whcih isn't really popular with Americans.

Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I live in the US, too, so I'm pretty aware of the situation. 95% of people in US aren't even going to know what "Anglo" means or what it is referring to, and even if they do, they will have only a vague understanding of it. .
    Then Americans are not aware of themselves, every Scandinavians knows what Anglo, or whom refers as Anglo Saxon Protestant, all your presidents are '' Male Anglo Saxons Protestant ''. I think most Europeans much aware about their history. Sorry but you're making a generalization
    Jeg er over gjennomsnittet bitter, og liker stort sett ingen andre enn meg selv

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't know where you live in the US, but over here in the South Catholic Irish and Italians aren't considered the same as Protestant English. Italians are actually not even counted as white most of the time. Irish are like an ethnic group of their own. Some identify with the IRA and such, whcih isn't really popular with Americans.
    Most Americans living in the US are pretty ethnically mixed by now. Like I said, other than cities like Boston or New York, it's very rare to find a "community" of Irish Catholics all living in the same area. Even then, most people you find who claim to be Irish are rarely even full Irish. I've never met anyone from the south who identifies as "Protestant English" either.

My grandfather is from the South, and a Catholic, and no, not Irish or Italian, and never brought up being treated any differently. In fact, he's a rather annoying, racist, stereotypical Southerner.

Most Americans, regardless of location, are going to identify with being "American", and that's it. If you get them expand on that answer they might rattle off a few ethnicities, act like they know a little history, but in the end, there is rarely a separation between American of various ethnic groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Then Americans are not aware of themselves, every Scandinavians knows what Anglo, or whom refers to Anglo Saxon Protestant is, all your presidents are '' Male Anglo Saxons Protestant ''. I think most Europeans much aware about their history. Sorry but you're making a generalization
    I'm not really sure what you're saying.. It's a generalization, but it doesn't make it false. Go into an American high school and see how many students really know what a "WASP" is.

BTW, here's a fine example of what the American education system produces. This girl's ignorance? While some might not act as openly "dumb", this lack of knowledge is not uncommon at all in the US.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Most Americans living in the US are pretty ethnically mixed by now. Like I said, other than cities like Boston or New York, it's very rare to find a "community" of Irish Catholics all living in the same area. Even then, most people you find who claim to be Irish are rarely even full Irish. I've never met anyone from the south who identifies as "Protestant English" either.

My grandfather is from the South, and a Catholic, and no, not Irish or Italian, and never brought up being treated any differently. In fact, he's a rather annoying, racist, stereotypical Southerner.
    If he was English or anothr Germanic ethnicity then the Catholic doesn't matter that much. I am not speaking of Catholics, but of Irish Catholics.

Most Americans, regardless of location, are going to identify with being "American", and that's it. If you get them expand on that answer they might rattle off a few ethnicities, act like they know a little history, but in the end, there is rarely a separation between American of various ethnic groups.
    I disagree. As Allenson and Americ said many times, Southern Europeans for instance aren't accepted as widely as Germanics. Some Eastern Europeans aren't either. it depends whether they are swarthy or not in many cases.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast