Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Could We Say There's an ''I''?

  1. #11
    Senior Member Emder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    Sunday, May 4th, 2008 @ 11:35 AM
    Age
    56
    Posts
    97
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The answer to these questions are based on a persons religious beliefs as well as their philosophical beliefs. Religion and philosophy cannot be separated.
    "The individual's life is of importance to none besides himself: the point is whether he wishes to escape from history or give his life for it. History recks nothing of human logic"

    Oswald Spengler

  2. #12
    Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Hanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Location
    Trondheim
    Gender
    Family
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Posts
    985
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Emder View Post
    The answer to these questions are based on a persons religious beliefs as well as their philosophical beliefs. Religion and philosophy cannot be separated.
    Could you please elaborate if you have the time?
    Jeg er over gjennomsnittet bitter, og liker stort sett ingen andre enn meg selv


  3. #13
    Senior Member Emder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    Sunday, May 4th, 2008 @ 11:35 AM
    Age
    56
    Posts
    97
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Philosophy is the discipline concerned with questions of how one should live (ethics); what sorts of things exist and what are their essential natures (metaphysics); what counts as genuine knowledge (epistemology); and what are the correct principles of reasoning (logic).[1][2] The word is of Greek origin: φιλοσοφία (philosophía), meaning love of wisdom.[3]

    One's religious beliefs will be reflected in answers to philosophical questions.
    The questions of ethics and how one should live may be different for people that have different religious beliefs.

    The questions of knowledge and logic and self-awareness will also vary depending on a persons religious beliefs. For example for a Christian their ultimate reference point of authority will be God. For a person who does not believe in God their ultimate reference point of authority is self.
    "The individual's life is of importance to none besides himself: the point is whether he wishes to escape from history or give his life for it. History recks nothing of human logic"

    Oswald Spengler

  4. #14
    Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Hanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Location
    Trondheim
    Gender
    Family
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Posts
    985
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Emder View Post
    Philosophy is the discipline concerned with questions of how one should live (ethics);
    One's religious beliefs will be reflected in answers to philosophical questions.
    The questions of ethics and how one should live may be different for people that have different religious beliefs.
    The questions of knowledge and logic and self-awareness will also vary depending on a persons religious beliefs. .
    Yes, I'm a aware of it, philosophy is a field that almost covers every disciplines that one could think of. What if one doesn't has any beliefs in the higher power? What I want to say is knowledge followed with our pursuit. We're exposed making decisions for ourselves, we always making in the quest of knowledge . I value any thoughts, where, I don't limit myself.
    Jeg er over gjennomsnittet bitter, og liker stort sett ingen andre enn meg selv


  5. #15
    Senior Member Emder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    Sunday, May 4th, 2008 @ 11:35 AM
    Age
    56
    Posts
    97
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Yes, I'm a aware of it, philosophy is a field that almost covers every disciplines that one could think of. What if one doesn't has any beliefs in the higher power? What I want to say is knowledge followed with our pursuit. We're exposed making decisions for ourselves, we always making in the quest of knowledge . I value any thoughts, where, I don't limit myself.
    Yes I think it is important that we do not limit ourselves. We should always seek more knowledge.
    But from where does knowledge? We live in a world of facts. From where did these facts come?
    Are there absolutes?
    Is everything just based on our own experiences?
    "The individual's life is of importance to none besides himself: the point is whether he wishes to escape from history or give his life for it. History recks nothing of human logic"

    Oswald Spengler

  6. #16
    Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Hanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Location
    Trondheim
    Gender
    Family
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Posts
    985
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Emder View Post
    Yes I think it is important that we do not limit ourselves. We should always seek more knowledge.
    But from where does knowledge? We live in a world of facts. From where did these facts come?
    Are there absolutes?
    Is everything just based on our own experiences?
    In the field of philosophy, some of them claims knowledge comes from the higher power, which means knowledges from nowhere. But then who has the wisdom to embrace such knowledge? If you claim we're living in the world of '' facts'' then it's seen as objectivity, and our experiences is subjectivity isn't it? But who has the right to claims such knowledges ?
    Jeg er over gjennomsnittet bitter, og liker stort sett ingen andre enn meg selv


  7. #17
    Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    GroeneWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Utrecht Utrecht
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Family
    Single adult
    Religion
    Germanic Heathendom
    Posts
    3,060
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    308
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    410
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    This getting weird,but if you say that ''I'' is an complex illusion created by someone sort of cosmos or whatever, then You're claiming the '' I'' doesn't have a rational state. What do you think?
    Of course if the "I" is indeed nothing more like an illussion like we asked here, the I would state that the "I" as a reality wouldn't exist. I'm not clear what you mean with rational state.

  8. #18
    Sanity Is For The Weak
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Hanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwedish
    Ancestry
    Norwedish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Location
    Trondheim
    Gender
    Family
    Precis når du vil
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Logic
    Religion
    Perfectionism
    Posts
    985
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GroeneWolf View Post
    Of course if the "I" is indeed nothing more like an illussion like we asked here, the I would state that the "I" as a reality wouldn't exist. I'm not clear what you mean with rational state.
    Rational state, refers to your or my rational state of mind, to doubt one's own existence, but the question is, since you said '' I'' indeed nothing more like an illusion'' but you still posses the material body as you existence.:
    Jeg er over gjennomsnittet bitter, og liker stort sett ingen andre enn meg selv


  9. #19
    Senior Member Maelstrom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 @ 07:17 AM
    Ethnicity
    Son of the Empire
    Ancestry
    English, Scottish
    Subrace
    Alpinised Bruenn altered by Med.
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Gender
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Posts
    352
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    There is nothing in Descartes' Cogito ergo sum that can conclude that there is an "I".

    There is no premise for the conclusion of "I".

    The only thing Descarte can really finally conclude is that thoughts exist. Whether or not they are unified under the term "I", is completely out of the scope of the argument and will, it seems, always remain unknown.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Anfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    Sunday, April 12th, 2009 @ 10:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Niedersachsen , gijon
    Subrace
    Nordic amd Ibero-Celtic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    New York New York
    Location
    New York USA
    Gender
    Family
    not happy to be divorced
    Occupation
    All ways working
    Politics
    Community Volkisch
    Religion
    Old Religion - European
    Posts
    869
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Thank you Hanna for tha nice Yule present!

    It is early morning for me, haven't even had my first cup of coffee, but it is such a pleasure to see this topic that I decided to Jumo in even before I take my caffeine.

    My position is close to Martin Heidgger's with some other elements , including but not limited to Germanic Mysticism Nietzsche, and race theory, amongs. It is not a question to answer in one paragraph!

    So who is Martin Heidegger?

    "Heidegger was originally a phenomenologist. To oversimplify, phenomenologists try to begin philosophy by clearing the mind and perceiving experience unmediated by prior knowledge or learning. Husserl was its greatest exponent. Heidegger left this theory behind and began to attempt to ground philosophy in the concept of Being. The idea of Being dates back to Plato and had a place in modern Christian philosophy and theology for centuries. Being, or the unseen permanence behind all becoming, was resurrected by Heidegger after its loss of focus in the Enlightenment. He tried to ground Being in history, or Time, and thus discovers its real essence. Needless to say this is almost contrary to logic, since Being—if it exists at all—by definition is unaffected by time, or history. Its very essence is against history, in contradistinction to the temporal.


    Thus Heidegger began where Being began—in Plato, inadvertently resurrecting a lost, depreciated issue in contemporary philosophy. By doing so, he offended a large body of academics who made their living as philosophy professors, who thought the fundamental issues of science, society, art, religion and human psychology were answered. These men thought of progress, winning change or developing the world according to some rationality they felt spoke for all time, in every culture. Bertrand Russell was an example of this attitude.


    Heidegger’s great opening was to take Plato seriously again, and at the same time undermine the entire Platonic world by challenging the core of Platonism—treating Being as an object of Time and History. This is partially why Platonists, such as George Grant regard Heidegger as a great thinker, even if they disagree with his analysis of Being and conception of Platonic thought. Although Heidegger deserves credit for his creativity and originality, he also borrowed heavily from Friedrich Nietzsche. It is not a false analogy to compare Heidegger to Aristotle, who took Plato’s dialogues and systematically presented them, breaking them down into treatises and concepts. Except, on this analogy, Nietzsche is Heidegger’s Plato. He took the poetic kernels and extracted them, sanitized them and made them respectable in the university setting. Heidegger’s published lectures during 1936 on Nietzsche’s Will to Power as Art rival any texts of Heidegger’s own thought for pure philosophical merit."
    "Wenn vor uns ein feindliches Heer dann erscheint, Wird Vollgas gegeben Und ran an den Feind!
    Was gilt denn unser Leben
    Für unsres Reiches Heer? (Ja Reiches Heer)
    Für Deutschland zu sterben ist uns höchste Ehr!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •