Thread: Fighting/Self-Defense ?

Senior Member Soldier of Wodann's Avatar
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 11:01 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    People here seem to look at fighting in a very superstitious, feminine, and pretentious way. Over coming fear of physical injury to uphold a virtue (over coming fear of physical injury is itself a virtue really) is probably one of the most valiant things a man can do. Fighting is a good way to relieve stress and exercise, I do it with my friends as often as possible. It strengthens you both physically and mentally, when one no longer has a strong fear of pain things always look clearer.

That being said, thugishness should in no way be tolerated, but if one sees a good and just opportunity to engage in such an activity, they should go for it.

We are born to fight and to die and to continue the Flow
    The Flow of our People

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

Last Online
    Wednesday, March 20th, 2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Ethnicity
    Prussian X Anglo/Celt
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    Tasmania Tasmania
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Back to Boilermaker/weldering
    Politics
    not the Greens
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Wise man once said" walk quietly...but carry a big stick"

i like this saying as i know i have 15 years of jujitsu behind my walking quietly

i use to fight plenty in my younger days but now im my 30's i have very little need to prove to myself that I'm "tough" i do how ever need my firearms licence of which will be taken from me should i beat the living crap out of some one who will most likely deserve it
    Tasmanian twice the heads!!.......twice the intelligence!?

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 04:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I'm too wimpy to fight. I don't look puny, I just don't want to incur any damage :o

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 22nd, 2009 @ 10:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old American
    Subrace
    Old American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Teacher
    Politics
    Nonaffiliated libertarian
    Religion
    Northern Traditions Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I thought from the poll we were talking about nation-states, but the individual also has a duty to protect oneself from the idiots that surround us all. I'm a large fellow (6'3'', 300 lbs.) who's had military experience and martial arts training (just enough to defend myself--no silly chop-socky stuff), so usually no one bothers me. However, even the smallest person can learn skills that can make them a hard target to malefactors and morons alike. I feel that defending oneself is a personal responsibility.

BTW, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the Constitutional right of the individual to keep firearms today! That is a hopeful sign.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 19th, 2019 @ 04:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Conservative
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Self Defense

Recently there was a story here about a man who witnessed two strangers stealing his neighbor's boat engine. He went after a shotgun and followed the thieves. It developed into a car chase where the thieves ended up in a ditch. They started running and the man went after them, aimed at the man and shot him in the back with his shotgun. Now he is being charged with attempted murder.

A while ago there was another story where a man shot and killed one teenager belonging to a gang which had harrassed his family for 3 years and who had phoned the house and told his mentally retarded son that they were coming over there to kill him. They were standing in the front yard with sticks in their hands and the father opened the door and started firing at them with a shotgun, killing one of them and wounding another. The man was cleared of all charges in court (as they deemed him to have had a temporary mental illness at the time), he was also given his guns back though he told the media he didn't want to hold a gun ever again. The gang of teens were charged with home invasion and were sentenced to youth service and surveillance I believe.

What are your thoughts on self defense? We use another legal term here, nödvärn, which translated means protection/force used in a situation of need, which broadens the scope a bit. How much force should a person be allowed to use to protect his family, property, life and or that of other? Are the laws in your country sufficient or would you like to see more rights being given to the citizen, or further restrictions on the use of force?

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 18th, 2016 @ 02:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Politics
    Old Stock Nativism
    Religion
    Heathen Theosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    When it comes to a person's home, I approve wholeheartedly of lethal force being an option. The moment a criminal crosses the line and decides to invade another person's home, their life is forfeit. My home state, Florida, has excellent laws regarding home defense, but Hawaii most certainly does not.
    "Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time."
    -H.P. Lovecraft

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    My attitude is this; In an ideal world If a burglar enters a house with the intention of only stealing cash and of fleeing immediately if he detects anyone in the house, then it is not reasonable that be shot dead if discovered by the homeowner, as that would be a retribution disproportionate to the severity of the intended crime.

However it is not an ideal world, and the homeowner cannot be expected to correctly divine the intentions of the intruder, decide upon a reasoned course of action and take that action while stopping short of using what may later be deemed to be excessive force, all in the few seconds available in an encounter that will feel to him like a life or death situation. Therefore if he takes the life of an intruder while thinking that his own life is in danger he must not be held accountable for that, even if it is shown later that his life was not in danger, because the intruder was not armed and had no history of violence, etc.
    Close observation may result in feelings of horror, wonder and awe at world you find yourself inhabiting.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 @ 12:37 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I believe in justifiable force, which means that you are allowed to defend yourself in any mean as to the degree of how you are threatened. If someone threatens to cause you bodily harm with their fists and feet; beat the crap out of them. If someone threatens to stab you with a blade; break their arm and hand. If someone threatens you with a gun; kill them. It comes down to how much your life is being threatened. It wouldn't make sense to kill someone for throwing a punch at you, but justifiable if someone pulled a gun on you and threatened to shoot you.

As in the case of the stories posted previously, I think both men were justified in what they did. If someone breaks into your very home and threatens your security, along with your family's then you should have the right to defend your home and belongings within a justified means.
    "Life; it kills 100% of those who experience it."

Last Online
    Friday, February 8th, 2019 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brünn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dæg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If you enter someone's home with the intention of robbing or hurting the occupants, then I would feel no remorse to discover the criminal had died doing so.
    "The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent."

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 18th, 2016 @ 02:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Politics
    Old Stock Nativism
    Religion
    Heathen Theosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horned God View Post
    However it is not an ideal world, and the homeowner cannot be expected to correctly divine the intentions of the intruder...
    I think that this is the salient point when it comes to discussing home invasions. You can't exactly stop and ask, "Gee whiz Mr. Criminal, are you here just to take my TV or to rape and torture my family?" The only sensible option is to assume the worst and neutralize the invader in the quickest possible way, and I can't think of a quicker method of resolution than a shell of buckshot to the chest.
    "Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time."
    -H.P. Lovecraft

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast