Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A Life Free of Violence is Our Right

What's one of the biggest reasons for suffering violence in the world today?
    Is it war? Race? Extremism? No, it is violence against women.

Violence against women and girls continues unabated in every continent, country and culture. It takes a devastating toll on women’s lives, on their families, and on society as a whole. Most societies prohibit such violence — yet the reality is that too often, it is covered up or tacitly condoned.

Violence against women and girls is a problem of pandemic proportions. At least one out of every three women around the world has been beaten, coerced into sex, or otherwise abused in her lifetime — with the abuser usually someone known to her [1]. Perhaps the most pervasive human rights violation that we know today, it devastates lives, fractures communities, and stalls development.

Statistics paint a horrifying picture of the social and health consequences of violence against women. For women aged 15 to 44 years, violence is a major cause of death and disability [2]. In a 1994 study based on World Bank data about ten selected risk factors facing women in this age group, rape and domestic violence rated higher than cancer, motor vehicle accidents, war and malaria [3]. Moreover, several studies have revealed increasing links between violence against women and HIV/AIDS. Women who have experienced violence are at a higher risk of HIV infection: a survey among 1,366 South African women showed that women who were beaten by their partners were 48 percent more likely to be infected with HIV than those who were not [4].

The economic cost of violence against women is considerable — a 2003 report by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that the costs of intimate partner violence in the United States alone exceed US$5.8 billion per year: US$4.1 billion are for direct medical and health care services, while productivity losses account for nearly US$1.8 billion [5]. Violence against women impoverishes individuals, families and communities, reducing the economic development of each nation [6].

In 1996, the United Nations General Assembly established the UN Trust Fund in Support of Actions to Eliminate Violence against Women. The Trust Fund is managed by UNIFEM and is the only multilateral grant-making mechanism that supports local, national and regional efforts to combat violence. Since it began operations in 1997, the Trust Fund has awarded more than US$19 million to 263 initiatives to address violence against women in 115 countries. Raising awareness of women’s human rights, these UNIFEM-supported efforts have linked activists and advocates from all parts of the world; shown how small, innovative projects impact laws, policies and attitudes; and has begun to break the wall of silence by moving the issue onto public agendas everywhere.

Comments?
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Last Online
    Saturday, June 28th, 2008 @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Personally I disagree with the concept of rights because I think it leads to alienation.

I also worry that this kind of rhetoric is an excuse for interventionism in places where it would cause more problems than it solves.
    A* I’m a dreadful reactionary, Mrs. Helena. I don’t like this progress one bit.
    H* Like Nana.
    A* Yes, like Nana. Does Nana have a prayer book?
    H* A big fat one.
    A* And are there prayers in it for various occurrences in life? Against storms? Against illness?
    H* Against temptation, against floods -
    A* But not against progress, I suppose?
    H* > I think not.
    A* That’s a shame.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sophia View Post
    Personally I disagree with the concept of rights because I think it leads to alienation.

I also worry that this kind of rhetoric is an excuse for interventionism in places where it would cause more problems than it solves.

I don't think the concept of rights alienates anyone,you should have rights where ever you are in the world. Of coarse rights and laws kind of come together. People already brake plenty laws,which some are silly but most are in need. If there were no rights or laws couldn't I just come into your home & take whatever I wanted? Sure,& you would have no rights to stand up for yourself,then you would truly be alienated because there would be no help for you.

In America there is a lot of violence against women & children, I think they are just trying to get information heard so maybe it could help someone.
    Just as we are on a forum for Preserving culture and heritage they provide one for information,studies,rights and help for women.
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 @ 11:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think the concept of "violence" is too vague and it should be divided into categories of types of violence...

I doubt you could just "come into your home and take whatever you wanted" because even without rights/laws/this things, there are still morals, as well, there is still a defensive spirit within the homeowner.

There is no help even with rights.
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts

What to Do About School Violence

What to Do About School Violence

Highly publicized incidents of school violence have heightened awareness of the need to deal with this complex problem. Such cases actually are quite rare, but schools commonly deal with smaller acts of “violence” all the time: students harming other students, whether it's the kindergarten bully or the junior high sexual harasser.

To put things in perspective, the National SAFE KIDS Campaign cites studies showing school-age children are nine times more likely to sustain an unintentional injury than to be the victim of an intentional injury while at school.

You can teach your child how to avoid becoming a victim. He can learn to be assertive without being aggressive. Help him learn to speak up confidently if he doesn't like something another student is saying or doing to him. Bullies are less likely to pick on children who don't back down easily. However, if he feels another student is about to harm him, it's better to walk away and seek the help of a teacher than get into a physical confrontation.

Many children are reluctant to tell on a bully for fear of retribution. But threatening situations can escalate, and adult intervention is usually the only way to stop the problem. Keep the lines of communication open so your child will be more likely to confide in you. Give him plenty of opportunities to discuss what's on his mind, especially if you sense he's worried about something at school. Then you'll be in a position to make school officials aware of problems, relieving your child of that burden.

Lessons in Compassion

One of the most important things you can do is teach your child to be compassionate to others. Help her understand that teasing another child is a form of verbal abuse that can cause real harm. So is ignoring or snubbing a classmate who's different. Teach your child to stand up for others who are being tormented, too.

Take bullying seriously. When a first grader taunts a classmate, parents may be inclined to think that “it's just the way kids are.” But the values you impart at this age will affect how your child will treat others when he moves into higher grades.

For more, please click on this Link.

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    There's 2 types of school violence, the gang-type violence in urban schools, and the Columbine type school shootings. The gang-type violence in urban schools are reflective of the entire culture of the place they are in and the people who inhabit them, so you can't really avoid that except to not place your kids in such schools. The Columbine type school shootings are reactions to years of abuse from other students. Even public schools in rural/white areas are unpleasant places to be, due to political correctness which tells the schools not to discipline troublemakers, but instead to 'socialize' them by putting them in with the normal kids where they quickly achieve a dominant social position and turn the whole school into a zoo. Many suburban schools also have programs which import kids from inner city schools. Separating kids by academic ability and behavior would help the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Siebenbürgerin View Post
    You can teach your child how to avoid becoming a victim. He can learn to be assertive without being aggressive. Help him learn to speak up confidently if he doesn't like something another student is saying or doing to him. Bullies are less likely to pick on children who don't back down easily. However, if he feels another student is about to harm him, it's better to walk away and seek the help of a teacher than get into a physical confrontation.
    I don't know what planet that person is living on, if they went to school in the 1950s or something, but that advice is totally off and going to make the problem even worse. It's gotten even worse since I was in school, today I could not even take a knife to school because since Columbine most schools have metal detectors and other such measures.

Really the only way in today's society is to not put your kids in public schools in the first place and homeschool them instead.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Saturday, December 6th, 2008 @ 10:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Country
    State
    Kansas Kansas
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Idealist
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    Odinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Columbine-style school violence is caused by the emphasis on materialism and social class instead of race. The more popular students tend to be those whose parents have more money. So they can have the newest electronics, clothing, cars etc. While the working class kid's parents aren't able to afford the latest fad. So this creates a divide in school between upper middle class and working class kids. I believe this glorification of materialism stems from the popularity of hiphop music among the youth. Not to sound marxist here. I actually believe different classes are a good thing.
    “Providence has been pleased to give this one connected country to one united people, a people descended from the same ancestors, speaking the same language, professing the same religion, attached to the same principles of government, very similar in their manners and customs-Jon Jay, Federalist Papers

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanseMacabre View Post
    Columbine-style school violence is caused by the emphasis on materialism and social class instead of race. The more popular students tend to be those whose parents have more money. So they can have the newest electronics, clothing, cars etc. While the working class kid's parents aren't able to afford the latest fad. So this creates a divide in school between upper middle class and working class kids. I believe this glorification of materialism stems from the popularity of hiphop music among the youth. Not to sound marxist here. I actually believe different classes are a good thing.
    They had class differences in schools before, perhaps even more so before private schools became popular for upper class kids, but kids back then were taught manners and respect by their parents. Today, many parents just let their kids run wild, and if teachers try to discipline them, they attack the teachers or sue the school.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post
    Really the only way in today's society is to not put your kids in public schools in the first place and homeschool them instead.
    Not if you live in Germany. Here homeschooling is illegal.