Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Hoard?/Can You Throw It Away?

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 11:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do You Hoard?/Can You Throw It Away?

Do you Hoard things? Not to a nasty extreme, I don't see any scum around here, but are there any of you who have a problem disregarding of things? :p

I see this in people I know, made me wonder...
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I used to be pretty bad. After moving 3 times I still had all sort of junk I'd dragged around with me, boxes of old textbooks and school papers dating back to freshman year in college, bunch of old clothes that was too beat up/stained for daily wear, clothes that hadn't fit for years, old vomit-stained futon mattress, CD cases for CDs I no longer had.

Then I had to move halfway across the country and could only keep the stuff that would fit in a couple trips of a mini-van, probably a good thing for me, as I unloaded all that crap, and since then periodically purge my apt of "why do I still have this lying around" junk. I guess what had made me keep all that junk is periodic cases growing up where a family member threw out something I later needed.

I've always kept my living area clean though, and kept the junk in basements/closets/little used rooms. My friends grandma, you literally had to walk through a narrow canyon to get to the kitchen, stuff piled everywhere, even on the couches and bathroom sink, stacks of stuff floor to ceiling filling entire rooms.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Friday, February 8th, 2019 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brünn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dæg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I am not a hoarder in the broad term, but I do find it hard to part with items.

It boils down to my inherent belief of all things being one.
    "The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent."

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I have the opposite problem. That is, I have a compulsion to throw too many things away. I love to clean. Cleaning and throwing away things makes me happy. It gives me the sense of having a fresh start in life. If there are items getting in the way of a clean house, I'll want to toss it, even if it is potentially useful or valuable. I often have to say something like, "Wait, Kathryn. You might want your children or grandchildren to have these things to play with or remember you by" or "You might want to decorate your family's house with this" to stop myself from throwing things away. I have to restrain myself from throwing away my mother's things, especially. She is a packrat. In the kitchen, there are all of these cheap cookie tins, tupperware and coffee cups that she hoards for whatever reason. Every time I clean the kitchen, I pull all of these things out and set them on the counter literally just to look at them and think about how nice it would be to throw them away. I accidentally broke one of her coffee cups not too long ago and she accused me of doing it on purpose half-jokingly. I spent five minutes trying to convince her that it just slipped out of my hand while I was washing it.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    I throw away things that aren't needed anymore. It is an orderly trait typical of the Germans which has been taught to me.

Last Online
    Friday, February 8th, 2019 @ 11:19 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celt
    Ancestry
    West Country Zider 'ead.
    Subrace
    Brünn/Keltic-Nordic
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Slinger
    Politics
    Uncer Dæg Willa Becuman
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deary View Post
    I have the opposite problem. That is, I have a compulsion to throw too many things away. I love to clean. Cleaning and throwing away things makes me happy. It gives me the sense of having a fresh start in life. If there are items getting in the way of a clean house, I'll want to toss it, even if it is potentially useful or valuable. I often have to say something like, "Wait, Kathryn. You might want your children or grandchildren to have these things to play with or remember you by" or "You might want to decorate your family's house with this" to stop myself from throwing things away. I have to restrain myself from throwing away my mother's things, especially. She is a packrat. In the kitchen, there are all of these cheap cookie tins, tupperware and coffee cups that she hoards for whatever reason. Every time I clean the kitchen, I pull all of these things out and set them on the counter literally just to look at them and think about how nice it would be to throw them away. I accidentally broke one of her coffee cups not too long ago and she accused me of doing it on purpose half-jokingly. I spent five minutes trying to convince her that it just slipped out of my hand while I was washing it.

I wonder if there is a connection in throwing things away and keeping things, to the need to feel a new start is being made or a sense of trying to hold onto the past?

I know I do find it hard to adapt to changes and sometimes do find it very difficult to throw away items which I have attached a degree of sentimentality to.

Or perhaps not
    "The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent."

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeornWulfWer View Post
    I wonder if there is a connection in throwing things away and keeping things, to the need to feel a new start is being made or a sense of trying to hold onto the past?

I know I do find it hard to adapt to changes and sometimes do find it very difficult to throw away items which I have attached a degree of sentimentality to.

Or perhaps not
    I'm quite welcoming to change and do not fear it. I like the feeling of progressing onto something new. Perhaps, I feel like I can't always do that with certain reminders of the past lying around or when there isn't enough storage space.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 4th, 2008 @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ;
    Quote Originally Posted by Deary View Post
    . I love to clean.

I have a job for you:
    "The individual's life is of importance to none besides himself: the point is whether he wishes to escape from history or give his life for it. History recks nothing of human logic"

Oswald Spengler

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 11:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am both. I like getting things, I am a member of the yahoo group, freecycle, if your into that kinda thing sign up with the one in your town. There you can give away things for free, You post it, or, you can post something you are looking for, monitor, clothes, furniture, anything you want, it is very handy.

It makes me feel good to receive things that are by no means ready to throw out, also makes me feel good to give.
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 11:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Well, I certainly believe in saving things that will be usefull, reusing items, maintaining possessions and fixing things instead of running out and always buying brand new.

To be handy in one's homestead requires the retention of belongings that may come in handy in a pinch--when something else breaks, meaning, thus requiring a little home repair. The trick though is to know what to hold onto and what to dispose of--otherwise, we just end up with too much 'stuff'. It's a delicate balance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast