Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Hoard?/Can You Throw It Away?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I do collect a lot of things, especially paper (magazines, print-outs of stuff from the internet, etc).

Last month I decided to do a major cleaning so I threw away a dozen plastic bags full of paper, mostly scientific articles that had been accumulating throughout my college life. They were no use to me anymore, and too numerous and bulky to file, so off the door and into the recycle bin they went.

Other than that, I have been accumulating way too many clothes/accessories for my closet capacity, that I have been reluctant to throw away even though I don't wear them anymore.
    This month I plan on giving them all (the ones I don't wear) away to the woman that helps my mom with the housework, and also to the woman that takes care of my grandma.

In general....I try to bring in stuff and then forget about them. So they pile up :p I recently cleaned my food cabinet and found goodies that had expired back in 2004

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 @ 08:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Anything I don't know what it is or if I don't need it at the time I'll throw it away and I don't know why. I'll throw things away that I think I won't need in the future but there's been plenty of times where I would've appreciated that I didn't throw away computer discs, particularly my old WIN XP system recovery discs. Wierd I know..

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 @ 08:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Axis View Post
    I do collect a lot of things, especially paper (magazines, print-outs of stuff from the internet, etc).

Last month I decided to do a major cleaning so I threw away a dozen plastic bags full of paper, mostly scientific articles that had been accumulating throughout my college life. They were no use to me anymore, and too numerous and bulky to file, so off the door and into the recycle bin they went.
    I had a bunch of things from school that I threw out that I wish I didn't. For some reason it brings back good memories to look at school work. Sigh.

My habit of throwing things out must have been a really early development because I even had the habit of throwing out school photos from elementary school and from when I was really small that I wish I didn't. I was probably 12 or 13 years old when I threw out all my stuff from when I was 6 to 9 years of age, hahaha, stupid.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Interesting topic. Sometimes I feel bad for throwing things away but I like to keep an order at my place. Usually when I do a thorough, general cleaning, I will take out the things I no longer use and put them in big bags. I donate the clothes and re-usable things and the rest I throw away. I wouldn't want my place to start looking like those hoarder houses, so I do regular evaluations or the things I don't use.

Like nobody else
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 06:25 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Swedish
    Ancestry
    Swedish and Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    NS
    Religion
    NS
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I'm probably the anti-hoarder because I just LOVE to get rid of material things. It's such a great feeling cleaning stuff out and getting more space to live. This also made it easier for me when I moved to the US - had to get rid of more or less everything I owned in Sweden and fit whatever was left in three suitcases. I was so happy selling/donating/throwing things.
    A democracy is nothing more than mob rule,
    where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 @ 11:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    As I get older I really regret throwing things away. Today's junk is tomorrow's antique.

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I grew up in a household where the idea of hoarding was unimaginable. My mother is fastidious about cleaning, so not only mess and clutter were not acceptable, but the place had to always be neat and things kept in a certain order. Beds had to be made even if we stayed in, clothes and bags couldn't lay on the bed or hang on chairs, etc. Even the coats laying on the wall racks were placed back in the wardrobe/closet. My mother would usually turn the place upside down on Saturdays and do a thorough cleaning each time. On Sunday mornings, she would take the vacuum out again. She constantly found new things to throw away - stuff that hadn't been used, food that was laying in the fridge for a couple of days, etc. My father would open the fridge to get something from the other day, to find that it had been thrown out already. She also re-organized and re-arranged stuff differently everytime. My mother in law is also quite keen on order -- things have to be put back exactly from where they were taken, cutlery and glasses have to be arranged a certain way etc.

We are a bit more relaxed about things. Jackets and shoes can hang in the lobby, house robes can hang on doors and shirts on chairs. I don't like clothes laying on the floor though. If they go on the floor they might as well go in the hamper. While I'm not as meticulous about cleaning as my mother, I like to keep things organized and minimalistic. I do keep a few small things for decoration and some house plants but otherwise most of my stuff is hidden away in cupboards, cabinets and other storage spaces.

When I think hoarding, insalubrious images from the shows "Hoarders" and "Hoarding: Buried Alive" come to my mind; I've also had a few acquaintances who hoard things, particularls old/vintage stuff and stuff from flea markets, at some point they became so many there was no more space for them and they had to lay on the floors; similarly, in the kitchen there were mountains of dishes, pans and bowls, hardly some place left for cooking or even dining. Naturally, when the floors are covered in clutter and storage spaces are all full, cleaning is a bit of a challenge so many overlook those spaces or don't do it at all.

Hoarding can be more about the fear of throwing something away that one might need someday, than about collection or saving. Thinking about discarding an item triggers anxiety in the hoarder, so they hang on to the item to prevent that feeling. It has been suggested that clinical hoarding may be genetic. Gene research suggests that a region on chromosome 14 may be linked with compulsive hoarding in families with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder -- The Genetics of Compulsive Hoarding.Compulsive hoarding is often considered a form of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder because 18 - 42 % of people with OCD experience some compulsion to hoard. However, compulsive hoarding can affect people who don't have OCD. Severe compulsive hoarding, like OCD can interfere with basic activities -- such as cooking, cleaning, showering, and even sleeping -- because piles of newspapers or clothes are found in the sink, in the shower, on the bed, and in every corner of a home.

Sometimes people collect excess stuff without the intention to hoard. e.g. those warehouse stores make bulk buying tempting, yet at the end of the day, that bargain may not be worth it. Shopping at such stores may not feel like hoarding, but if one's garage looks like a warehouse, it can certainly contribute to accumulating more stuff than one actually needs and overeating (as well as overconsumption of processed food), while rationalizing it as a bargain.

When it comes to groceries, I generally try to shop for the moment rather than for a week in advance. I don't like the fridge to smell like stale or rotting food. I'd rather buy something extra that I need than throw away food that has gone bad.

My parents work in the agriculture/farming field and they'd often bring corn, veggies, meat, poultry, eggs, dairy etc. I use the freezer to store what I won't use immediately. Cooked food and leftovers I separate into 1-2 person portions as it's not a good idea to re-freeze. I also use the freezer to store stuff I am picky about, e.g. I only use certain types of toast bread. It can last up to 3 months in the freezer and sliced bread can be directly toasted. A full freezer is also more economical to run as the cold air doesn't need to circulate so much, so less power is needed. In the pantry I store canned goods & packaged stuff which last much longer. I only throw away food that I forgot about or excess food that is no longer edible. Our fridge gets empty rather quick though, so food is generally not wasted. A guide on freezing foods can be found here. Something many people aren't aware of is that some foods can be safely eaten even after the best before date. Examples here.

When it comes to clothes, shoes & accessories, I do have lots of them, actually far too many. Although it's said a woman can never have too many of those. Luckily we have spatious wardrobes in the bedroom and living room, but they're bound to become full any day now so I looked into extra organizing tips. I have clothes of all sizes, shapes and from different fashion trend eras; some I'm not even aware that I have, some still have their tags on -- cleaning or re-organizing my wardrobe can be like going shopping. While I realize I don't wear half of the stuff in there most of the time, I'm not so keen on parting from many of them either. I like having attire for all occasions and most of it is actually still in good/usable condition. I clean my closet a few times a year though, but only throw away really old, stained or otherwise not wearable stuff. The rest I give away to acquaintances or charity.

I got a rack for the clothes we wear most frequently, placing it in the corner of a room, behind the stairs, etc. saves a lot of space and avoids the usual clutter. They come in all sizes, shapes, one can try them as DIY projects etc.

More organizing tips and a helpful guide if you have a lot of stuff laying around and don't know what to do with it: 53 Seriously Life-Changing Clothing Organization Tips. Amazon also has a wide range of merchandise fit for organizing: hangers, collapsible racks & wardrobes, storage boxes, under-the-bed storage kits, dividers for drawers, etc.

For jewelry and small accessories I use boxes, cases and mannequins.

My partner keeps old computer stuff, handys, digital devices, cords, boxes, etc. Our mothers would probably throw away half of it but we keep it hidden in cabinets and cupboards, so it doesn't really bother us. All in all, whether one likes collecting or keeping a minimal lifestyle, it comes down to keeping order and abiding by certain health and safety standards. If one has a lot of space and doesn't just throw things around randomly, they can also afford to keep many more items without causing any considerable damage to themselves and others around them.

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    608 Posts
    I like nick knacks and bobbles but I hope I have broken myself of the habit of collecting these things.

My biggest weakness is folk art, especially German American folk art. I used to be very addicted to buying and researching it and wondering where it came from and who made it and why. At one time I had a very large room just dedicated to those things plus books about folk art. I lost all of that in a bad accident, so I decided to never collect such things again.

I have a home office and the desktop is a wreck, I then get depressed and go on a organizing spree.

Most of the time I am very relaxed about where I put jackets and things like that.

I'm a bachelor and I am not very domesticated as far as cleaning goes except for the dishes and the bathroom. I hate a dirty bathroom and deep clean it at least twice a week. I hate dirty dishes, so I do them right away.

The rest of the cleaning such as vacuuming, dusting and deep cleaning I really hate. Since I'm alone I try and not mess things up. Recently I have come to realize that I'm not domesticated in the ways of cleaning a house so I hired two women to come once a week and do those things. They come recommended from another bachelor and they are very professional and private and don't live in the immediate area. I really don't even talk to them much other than hello and goodbye. They are here and gone in about an hour and my house is really clean. I do wash my own clothes, mow the lawn, keep the garage clean, take out the trash which is not much and generally pick up after myself.

The biggest thing I hoard is food, I used to love to garden and preserve food. I have several shelves full of home canned veggies and meats. Plus when I shop I tend to forget I live alone and stock up. That way I don't have to go to the supermarket very often. I can get what I need fresh in a few minutes and don't have to wander around the whole store looking for things. I might even consider buying more non-perishables online, that way I would have to go even less.

Books I love books on homesteading, gardening, crafts, art, metal working, building things, and some fiction books to. If I buy a book I tend to never want to get rid of it as I might want that information later.

Tools is another weakness, If I find smithing tools I get them and never get rid of them as I fear I might need it one day.

I used to hoard guns, but I have really limited myself on those to. I only keep a 6 rifles, 7 shotguns and 11 handguns. I don't collect guns anymore and I just keep the ones I use regularly, mostly hunting guns. I am very proud of myself at resisting the urge to buy every gun I like.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

"Du bist das Bild, das ich in mir barg..."
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 11th, 2017 @ 10:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Folkish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Extreme minimalist here, with the sole exceptions of books and music. I simply enjoy the shape and feel of the empty spaces in my home as much as the things that occupy the non-empty spaces. I have beautiful original paintings from a surreally talented artist acquaintance, which create an almost magical frame or aura around everything that occurs within my space. They remind me that time is passing and to use it well.

Clothes, not many; weapons, only a few, but strategically tucked away in the places where they are most likely to be needed. Since none of them are local at the moment, my closest friends occupy the virtual spaces in my devices, where each is only a tap away. I attempt to keep everything clean and picked up, but it is a battle I do not always win.

I keep mementos of those who are dear to me; I also allow myself to part with these mementos, when the time is right. It is almost never right.

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 03:04 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germans, Hungarians, Slavs
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Democratic National-Conservativ
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    It is an archaic Danube Swabian habit from the village that the front of the house is always clear and ordered, however the backyard and the house is totally chaotic. In the backyard full of stuff what "will be good for something" and this is equal to the house too. Mainly this "this will be good for something" mentality is typical Swabian. My family has carryed this habit from the village to the capitol after the war. F.e. in the 60s the central heating has spread in the flats of the downtown, my Great-Grandfather held the old stove... that this will be good for something. After this mentality has go across the generations and I have it. It is good in an aspect of view, because I don't like the Consumary Society side by side I haven't got a seat in my room. In this year I can stand again the old Swabian tradition and I throw out many old and unwearable clothing side by side my family wanted burn me for this herecy. In the future I would like to get a balance between the "throw out and shop new" and the Swabian "this will be good for something" mentalities.

The other Swabian habit, the nice front, chaotic backyard mentality lives among us too. We have a beautiful, strong and expensive outerdoor of the flat with nice copper Lion-knocker. Behind this door has started the catastrophic zone. Newspapers, clothes on the floor, one week old food in the fridge. Well, I use to make some order in my room, but I have not enough place to put the things. I have a roomfridiger for drinks and I always put anything over there. My dinner jacket hangs on the wardrobe, because that is full. I would need a larger flat, but this type is the largest in the blockhauses in Budapest area.

Another Swabian habit is the outdoor/indoor clothing. All the family use to fashionable, moreover expensive clothing in the street, however in the flat everybody looks alike an African refugee with torn t-shirts and joggingtrousers. Some year ago I have seen in a conservative Hungarian family that they are clothed up in home too. When I started this habit in my family they just see me as I would be a foreign. I have cutted another old Swabian tradition. However I think this is more ordinary that torn t-shirt jogging combo.

"Remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus,"or that virtue "was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice."
    /King Baldwin IV in the Kingdom of Heaven/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast