View Poll Results: Cross-cultural studies: beneficial or harmful for preservationists?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • I benefit from being well-rounded and learning about other cultures.

39 79.59%
  • Studying about other cultures is a corruptive and contaminating process.

5 10.20%
  • Other (explain)

5 10.20%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you Think of Cross-Cultural Studies?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Married
    Politics
    Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Tradition
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    I am interested in learning some things about other cultures but I don't like the hysteria about cultural enrichment that is made today. I don't think you can learn about other cultures properly from non-European immigrants in Europe while asking them to integrate at the same time, or African culture from American blacks. A culture is best learned about in its own environment. Europeans in Europe, Africans in Africa, Asians in Asia and so on.

A.K.A. Autobahn
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, April 12th, 2012 @ 09:59 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany, Gaul, England, Austria, Canada
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Religion
    Christianity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I am curious to see what Skadi members think about cross-cultural studies.
    I believe it's best to read about your Allies & your Enemies. You should get to know about both of them.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I guess I'm the oddball here. I am not interested in foreign cultures. That means, non-white cultures by large. I don't need to be an expert on Islam to know Muslims don't belong in Europe for example. I don't care how superior their culture is supposed to be to ours. I just want to be amongst my people, and my people only, so I guess I'm an ignorant about the outside, by choice. I don't think it's inferior. Isolationism has worked before.

Last Online
    Wednesday, October 18th, 2017 @ 08:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Married
    Politics
    Folk oriented
    Religion
    Heathen/Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    It's not the study of foreign cultures that can be detrimental to our people. It's the downplaying of our culture and glorification of theirs that is. On the contrary studying other cultures can be helpful as it enriches our knowledge about diversity. I mean true diversity, which helps sustain the existence of different races and cultures and not the multicultural propaganda type of diversity from the media.

Last Online
    Monday, May 16th, 2011 @ 01:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Danish, German, Irish, Scottish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Missouri Missouri
    Single adult
    Religion
    Roman Reconstructionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Holle View Post
    It's not the study of foreign cultures that can be detrimental to our people. It's the downplaying of our culture and glorification of theirs that is. On the contrary studying other cultures can be helpful as it enriches our knowledge about diversity. I mean true diversity, which helps sustain the existence of different races and cultures and not the multicultural propaganda type of diversity from the media.
    I agree -- Knowing what a Shiite is will help in the Islamoeuropean wars. However, as a former Japanophile, I think you do need to be careful of your studies. It's one thing to study a culture and another to marinate in it to the point of losing who you are. I fear that for people with no strong identity, it's easy to get sucked into the trap of thinking that you should emulate other people's ways rather than your own. I took spanish in HS, and loved the idea of Mexico until I went there and found the reality was squallor and police carrying machine guns for self defense.

Kids need to be taught their own culture before studying others.

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 8th, 2011 @ 06:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Commercial Manager
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with those who realize the necessity of learning about other cultures only so that in the long run we have the knowledge to undermine and eventually destroy them.

A culture represents a phenotype, and vice versa, as one cannot exist without the other. It is the physical phenotype which creates and sustains the culture.

Consider Africa today, where the nation states imposed by Europeans are breaking down, the borders vanishing, as there is a lack of political will to police and maintain them - a lack which originates in the psychological nature of the people that inhabit the continent.

The way of isolation is not possible, as evolution forces a species to advance and expand through new territories. As you can see with the phenotype that inhabits sub-Saharan Africa, such an evolution has already come to an end.

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 01:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian American
    Ancestry
    Norwegian, German
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Africa View Post
    I love learning about other cultures. In fact, every person who supports globalism should be made to learn about them, to see what we would be missing if the world became brown. It's obvious that once a race ceases to exist, its culture will cease to exist too. That's why cultural preservation depends on racial preservation.
    Yes! This is how I feel about other cultures. Cultures are worth preserving, but this isn't happening through what is called multiculturalism. Cultures are best studied and preserved in their natural habitats, when you take a culture away from its habitat, that culture develops differently. We're connected to the environment we live in.

Multiculturalism is actually a melting pot, we influence each other's culture mutually - we theirs, they ours- and not always for the better... In the end, you get both but neither... one of them will compete with the other, and one will have to win over the other and assimilate the rest. So yes, we should learn about other cultures, but it goes without saying though that first we should know our own.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 12th, 2017 @ 06:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Silesia Silesia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
    Cultures are worth preserving,
    If you say so, then it already presupposes, in one or the other way, that you are somehow "above" the thing, that you are somehow in the position to judge about "cultures". Yet whether cultures are "preserved" or not depends on the will and on the strength of the beings that make that said cultures. If they have the will, and if they are strong enough, then their culture will be "preserved" -- no matter who is judging them as "worth to be preserved".
    but this isn't happening through what is called multiculturalism.
    Yes, "multiculturalism", as it really is, is a spiritual, and even a physical weapon to denounce, to demote, to defeat, to destroy, and finally to despose our -- and for the time being only our -- , the Germanics culture, and not only culture. Meanwhile we know that. But we don't have to enter into a moot argument with those professional champions of multiculturalism, who are just the haters of the Germanics, nothing else and nothing more, who are our deadly enemies, and who are unteachable. We don't have to argue with our deadly enemies, we just have to defeat them.
    Cultures are best studied and preserved in their natural habitats, when you take a culture away from its habitat, that culture develops differently. We're connected to the environment we live in.
    Be cautious! Millions of Germanic people left -- one might say deserted -- their "habitats" and went -- one can say "migrated" -- to other remote places, in the "pursuit" of their happiness. Did that make them un-Germanic? This line of argument might easily become a boomerang in your hand.
    Multiculturalism is actually a melting pot, we influence each other's culture mutually - we theirs, they ours- and not always for the better... In the end, you get both but neither... one of them will compete with the other, and one will have to win over the other and assimilate the rest.
    Yes, multiculturalism is in fact not solving the problem of cultural competition, but is just shifting the theater of competition to a different level. Multiculturalism, as it is forced upon us, is forcing us to compete with alien cultures not beyond the borders of our homelands, but within the borders of our lands. Multiculturalism is putting us, and deliberately, intentionally, at a disadvantage.

When we overstepped the borders of others and tried to conquer their land: this was called "imperialism", and it was so "evil".

As others now overstep our borders and try to conquer our land: it is now called "multiculturalism", and it is -- oh wonder of all wonders -- "good", not evil at all. So strange this is.

When we were winning, it was "bad" -- if others now seem to win, it is "good", suddenly, mysteriously.
    So yes, we should learn about other cultures, but it goes without saying though that first we should know our own.
    The problem is: every study takes time, consumes time, eats up time. And every piece of time you spend on the study of another culture, you take away from the study of your own.

Christian, catholic as well as protestant, missionaries spent incredibly much time on the linguistic and ethnological study of other cultures, yet their ultimate aim for doing so has always been the ultimate destruction of these cultures. They didn't do the study just for fun, also not out of an abstract, aimless personal "interest". They had a mission and they had an aim.

If, for example, someone indulges, immerses deeply into the study of Chinese, and for a long time, he is doing this either because he wants to destroy the Chinese, or he wants to become Chinese himself. In all likelihood he is not doing this in order to "strengthen" his own culture. Though even if he had this "good" intention, it would and it could not help strengthen his culture.

Jakob Grimm, the famous collector of German fairy tales, also deeply immersed into Serbian (and Irish) cultural studies, collecting and translating Serbian (and Irish) fairy tales. He helped decisively to revive and reestablish Serbian nationalism. In fact, he helped resurrect the Serbian ethnicity from the grave . The Serbian people always, up to the present day, recognized him as their obstetrician, they set him up memorials all over Serbia, and they printed his name in Serbian primary school and university textbooks. Even today, every Serb knows his name.

Yet in 1914, a Serbian nationalist shot the Heir of a German dynasty, thereby starting the Great War, which ultimately led to the downfall of the German, that is Jakob Grimms' own, folk. So, what Jakob Grimm did good for the Serbian folk, was bad, was deadly to his own folk.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123