@
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts

Do You Shop Second Hand?

An article about shopping second hand. Do you shop second hand clothes?

The following are 9 reasons you should consider shopping second-hand; it can make a greater difference than you may realize.

1. Much more Affordable
    When you shop at thrift stores, yard sales, and other second-hand venues, your money stretches much farther. On average, used products are generally 50% cheaper – allowing you to save money for other important expenditures… organic produce, anyone?

2. You Get to Experience the Thrill of the Hunt
    At a thrift store, you deal in the unknown. Scouring flea markets and rummage sales until you have found that have-to-have item at an unbeatable price can be exhilarating. In this way, second-hand shopping is much more rewarding in a way retail shopping could never be.

3. Your Money Stays in the Community
    Second-hand perusing ensures your money stays in the community where it can benefit local businesses and charities.

4 . It’s Easier to Spot Quality
    Since most of the merchandise you come across has already been broken in, you can see what has quality and what does not. Practical and affordable.

5. It’s Green!
    Buying used goods cuts down on manufacturing demands and keeps more items out of the landfill! Because a large amount of man-made goods are routinely thrown away, re-using gives a longer life to common household items another family could use, saving the Earth in effect.

6. Inspire to Recycle
    The flow of second-hand giving goes both ways. Items or clothes you no longer use, you can donate back to a local consignment shop and offer up goods another may be searching for. The act of recycling not only enables us to feel good about our actions but, again, keeps money in the local economy and supports the green living movement.

7. Service Exceeds
    While this can’t be assumed for every second-hand shop, garage sale, or flea market, the atmosphere of most used-goods stores have a friendly, warm, and relaxing atmosphere. Interaction is much more pleasing and due to the slower flow of shoppers, service is readily available if you should need help.

8. Brand Names
    If you’re an individual who worships the tag, you’re likely to find many recycled, brand-name clothes available. It’s a great way to suit your stylish needs while saving a bundle and helping the environment.

9. New Merchandise Arrives Daily
    Consignment shops receive donations daily, so the hunt for that unique item is always new and fresh. If they don’t have what you’re looking for, chances are in a couple of days it might be present.

Because shopping is such an essential part of our consumer-driven economy, indulging in second-hand stores and opportunities is a way to beneficially promote the economy, save the environment, and still satisfy your craving for unique clothes and items.
    Read More: http://www.trueactivist.com/9-reason...p-second-hand/

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    I try to recycle and reuse things and donate things I'm not using, I will buy used stuff if it's new and works fine, but I draw a fine line at eating food out of dumpsters.

There's a fine line between being thrifty and being just extremely cheap and tacky.

Here are some extreme ways people go to save a dime:

'Extreme Cheapskate' Buys Secondhand Lingerie!

Cheapest Gift Giver Ever! | Extreme Cheapskates

Kitty Litter Facials | Extreme Cheapskates

Pulling Teeth with No Medical Experience | Extreme Cheapskates

Sharing The Bathtub | Extreme Cheapskates

Hot Tub Soup and Frozen Jeans | Extreme Cheapskates

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Donauschwaben
    Subrace
    Keltic nordid/Alpinid
    State
    Danube Swabian Community Danube Swabian Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Mad scientist
    Politics
    Politically incorrect
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I don't, but I've ben seriously thinking about starting to do so lately.
    I wear all my clothes until they are unwearable, and utilise them differently depending on their general condition. Until recent years it was working out fine since the clothes I bought lasted pretty long, but that is no longer the case. Whatever I buy last no more then a year, year and a half tops after which it's only good for the thrash or used as a cleaning cloth.
    However two of my friends were frequenting second hand shops and bought really good, durable clothes. They are both frequently doing fieldwork, mostly going through forest and shrub and the clothes are withstanding the pressure more than good. So considering that, buying good quality and cheap second-hand stuff seems like a much better idea than wasting a lot of money of things that fall apart quickly.
    Lieber tot als Sklave!

Hundhedensk "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Håløyg
    Ancestry
    Norway
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    I2b1
    mtDNA
    J2a1a1b
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    South Trondelag South Trondelag
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    306 Posts
    Got my last two jackets second-hand, mostly I've bought used books. Can save a fortune there.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345