View Poll Results: What type of nationalism do you support?

Voters
275. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ethnic nationalism

72 26.18%
  • Civic nationalism

18 6.55%
  • Expansionist nationalism

12 4.36%
  • Romantic nationalism

27 9.82%
  • Cultural nationalism

12 4.36%
  • Liberal nationalism

5 1.82%
  • Religious nationalism

21 7.64%
  • Pan-/Meta-Ethnic nationalism

36 13.09%
  • Diaspora nationalism

18 6.55%
  • A combination of two or more of the above.

28 10.18%
  • Other (please specify)

19 6.91%
  • I am not a nationalist.

7 2.55%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Types of Nationalism: Which Do You Subscribe to?

Schimmelreiter
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 09:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf wodenson View Post
    Jefferson even went so far as to suggest that the form of government being adopted in the emerging United States represented a restoration of the sublime Anglo-Saxon principles.
    A fanciful suggestion, since the US never approached anything resembling the Anglo-Saxon monarchy, neither in spirit nor in principle. The principles of the United States, whether initially intended or not, are more akin to the Varangians, who gathered a number of weakly related peoples for the common pursuit of merchantry along their trade routes. In the end, a Rus' came to denote any person living in Rus' territory who shared their (religious) beliefs.

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2018 @ 12:10 AM
    Ethnicity
    Gothic
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia, Britain
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Engaged
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrioten View Post
    I am an ethnic nationalist but I am a supporter of the Swedish kingdom and as such I would not approve of a push to make parts of Sweden independent. Decentralized government is one thing but independence is out of the question as far as I am concerned. The south will remain under Swedish rule until the Danes finds it in their hearts to try and rescue them from our evil reign of terror by the might of the sword . So in that way I am a supporter of Sweden as an empire of sorts, the remnants of it at least.

The people are of course free to relocate to Denmark if they so desire but the territory should remain in Swedish hands.
    You are talking about Skåneland, I meant the lands that were historically known as Geatland, which Skåneland is not a part of. I am not against Sweden, but after all the Royal house isn't even Swedish anymore. I just think the idea of homogenous ethnic nations is beautiful, and often smaller nations is better than bigger ones. That's why I would like a Geatland with Gothenburg as the capital, and a Sweden with Stockholm. Then different regions wthin Geatland would have the ability to rule themselves at an even more local level.

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon Southron
    Ancestry
    Angelcynn/Gaeilge/Deutsch
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    coal miner
    Politics
    Folkish/Libertarian/Secessionist
    Religion
    Heathen (Fyrnsidu/"Odinist")
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hauke Haien View Post
    A fanciful suggestion, since the US never approached anything resembling the Anglo-Saxon monarchy, neither in spirit nor in principle.
    No, it didn't and that was Jefferson's point, I think.
    My understanding of Jefferson's beliefs and statements to that effect referred to the somewhat mythical idea that the Anglo-Saxons were originally a free tribal society-with a representative tribal assembly-not under despotic authority akin to the situation of the old Saxons before Charlemagne sujugated them.
    Jefferson no doubt obtained these notions from Tacitus' statements concerning the tribal governance of the ancient Germani (which, of course included the Angli ancestors of the English) in the Germania.
    Naturally Jefferson also likely had Magna Carta, traditional English liberties, representative parliamentary government that evolved in England thereafter, as his idea that the U.S. republic was a true continuance of those "sublime Anglo-Saxon principles" in contrast to the tyrannical British Crown the United States had just won independence from.
    Bear in mind at my country's inception, and into the first half of the 19th century, it was largely a homogeneous racial stock of English origin, homogeneous inasmuch as England was then.
    Hence, the old U.S. republic as a combination of decentralized "civic" and loose ethnic/racial nationalism.
    Personally speaking, I'm inclined to agree with the esteemed Mr. Jefferson on this as with many other of his beliefs and politics.

Schimmelreiter
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 09:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beowulf wodenson View Post
    Naturally Jefferson also likely had Magna Carta, traditional English liberties, representative parliamentary government that evolved in England thereafter, as his idea that the U.S. republic was a true continuance of those "sublime Anglo-Saxon principles" in contrast to the tyrannical British Crown the United States had just won independence from.
    Power struggles between the nobility and their king are typically Germanic and this is what the Magna Carta represents. Its misrepresentation as a document that grants rights to everyone, or the untenable assertion that it establishes individuals rights as the primary organising principle, is by contrast an aspect of the struggle between the landed aristocracy and the merchants that is as such characteristic of political life in the medieval city. This is not typically Germanic at all, since it is not customary among Germanics to base political power on wealth. Instead, wealth coincides with the position a person occupies within society and the authority he dispenses in this role.

These shifts in political power are intimately linked with the changes in the mode of commerce that take place in the High Middle Ages and significantly accelerate in the early modern period because of the growing importance of long-distance trade. Nevertheless, the final defeat of the largely Germanic-derived aristocracy and the victory of the internationalist merchants was not achieved before the 19th century in the British Empire and not before the 20th century in what previously had been the German Reich.

Waffenbrüder und Blut
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Homo europæus
    Ancestry
    Iutum (Jutes), Agendicum (Sénons)
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Single adult
    Politics
    NS-Eugeniker
    Religion
    Highland Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ethnoglobalist.

Last Online
    Monday, May 16th, 2011 @ 02:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Danish, German, Irish, Scottish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Missouri Missouri
    Single adult
    Religion
    Roman Reconstructionism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I picked Romanticist. For one thing, nations are two things -- ethnic and cultural. I personally don't think you can be part of a nation that you have no cultural affiliation with. I can't claim to be a member of the German tribe without being German and living like a German. A German living in China worshipping Chinese gods and acting like the average Chinese isn't exactly a German.

As for America, the reality is that we're a sort of federation of nations. Each nation lobbies for its own self interest and in many cases the government takes the side of the loudest or most numerous. It doesn't work as well as all that since whiltes are the only nation that lacks a lobbying group of its own, or at least one large enough to get things done.

Last Online
    Saturday, September 25th, 2010 @ 01:49 AM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Ancestry
    Ireland
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Unionism/monarchism/nationalism
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I answered "other" as my nationalism is somewhat unique. I am an Irishman who holds nationalistic beliefs regarding the British Isles as a collection of related and interdependent, yet separate, cultures. I believe that the British Isles should have political unity and common cause while maintaining a measure of cultural uniqueness among the constituent peoples.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 11:11 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordic + some Atlantid
    Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Blut und Boden
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassenhygieniker View Post
    Ethnoglobalist.
    If that means what I think it means, sign me up.

Last Online
    Friday, February 24th, 2012 @ 01:27 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Isles
    Subrace
    Pred. Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I ticked ethnic nationalism, because I am an ethnic nationalist. Cultural nationalism, although I am uncertain of it's genuine definition, sounds as though it applies to me also, as I believe in the preservation (or in some instances the revival of aspects, or indeed the whole,) of the culture within the nation - so perhaps I'm an ethno-cultural nationalist

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Monday, January 9th, 2012 @ 04:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This question is highly dependent on time and place. If this were 1840 I'd be an expansionist nationalist as I'm a big believer in Manifest Destiny. But these are different times. I'm probably a 'pan-nationalist' as I understand it.

I'll say, incidentally, that all of the fascists voting 'ethnic nationalist' is a bit of a category error. Johann Gottfried Herder was the father of ethnic nationalism, and he opposed imperialism, Slavophobia, militarism, and other prominent components of Hitlerism. He was even arguably something of an anti-racist, or proto-anti-racist. He tended to reject appeals to racial supremacy and heaped scorn upon Europeans for subjecting non-whites under colonial rule. He even said we'd one day come to turn on ourselves in guilt over it.

It seems the man was a prophet.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast