Thread: Homeschooling

Last Online
    Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Lyfing View Post
    I find it strange that you think you know what your children are going to want in life?
    I don't know, I suspect.

Are you saying your going to be a housewife so she will want to as well?
    Let me tell you first hand, its boring! I also think you should set much higher goals for your daughter, now if she did just have her heart set on that then fine, but you can't make that decision for her, nor should you make her think thats what she should do.
    I've only ever met one girl who was raised by a housewife who honestly didn't want to be a housewife. If a girl believes that it is a possibility, it is highly appealing to most. Even girls who aspire to various careers concede that after a point, it would be nice to be able to settle down and dedicate the day to her family.

It's your opinion that it's boring, then again, you don't homeschool your children, do you? So what do you do all day? Being a housewife is only as boring as somebody makes it. I know plenty of housewives who are more than satisfied with how they spend their time. I don't get bored sitting home in the summer when I don't have school. I don't get bored sitting home in the winter when I don't have school. I have plenty of things to keep myself occupied and amused, and no matter how often I do them, there's always more to be done and I do not tire of them. Once I have children and once they reach an age where they can begin a structured education, I'm sure I'll have even more to do. I'm sure sitting at home doing nothing all day does get boring, but not all housewives do nothing all day.

As far as setting higher goals for my daughter--why isn't dedicating her life to her family high enough? Unless she is a prodigy like no other, I don't see her doing anything so much greater than caring for a family to the utmost. I know I can't make any decisions for her, I never said I could. I'm surmising based off of things I've seen and experienced. Duh.

And I can't make anybody think anything--I'm sure my kids won't be so stupid as to be "made" to think or believe certain ways. I can express why I think it is the right thing, though.

Still strange, you can not really plan these things in life, sorry.
    People plan these things all of the time, actually. I don't come from a "doctor" family or a "lawyer" family, a lot of my friends do, which is why they are studying medicine and law. Our family is centered around business, education and politics and used to have a strong focus on art. The paternal side of my family became very unhappy with the idea that my mother was a professor when I first started getting awards for art. They wanted me to "revive" that part of our family name and they thought she was going to try to smother me into the education field. She does try to steer me into that direction, but now she is more focused on getting my brother to take that course, as he has none at the moment. The majority of my cousins are teachers of different subjects at different levels, it is common to find families of teachers. As a matter of fact, both my brother and I have seriously considered going into ESL, which is what our mother does. He's still considering it, but I've decided against becoming a teacher whatsoever.

Most businesses and trades are in families, whether the family members work together or not. True, I can't assure any of these things for my children, but if I did want to groom them for political or entrepreneurial careers, I could. I don't intend to groom them career-wise any more so than I was, I believe in giving people a well-rounded experience. The fact remains that the overwhelming majority of children follow the general line set forth by their parents and other adult family.

It's more practical to assume that my children will want to go into business, education, or politics than it is to assume that they will want to be astronauts or hairdressers--unless of course I marry someone in one of those fields.

Stay in school.
    I really don't need your recommendation.
    Polygamy: it might not be for you, but what right do you have to keep it from me?

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I've only ever met one girl who was raised by a housewife who honestly didn't want to be a housewife. If a girl believes that it is a possibility, it is highly appealing to most. Even girls who aspire to various careers concede that after a point, it would be nice to be able to settle down and dedicate the day to her family.
    It is nice to settle down & dedicate everything to your children, I am not knocking housewives what so ever, I have been one for a long time.

It's your opinion that it's boring, then again, you don't homeschool your children, do you? So what do you do all day? Being a housewife is only as boring as somebody makes it. I know plenty of housewives who are more than satisfied with how they spend their time. I don't get bored sitting home in the summer when I don't have school. I don't get bored sitting home in the winter when I don't have school. I have plenty of things to keep myself occupied and amused, and no matter how often I do them, there's always more to be done and I do not tire of them. Once I have children and once they reach an age where they can begin a structured education, I'm sure I'll have even more to do. I'm sure sitting at home doing nothing all day does get boring, but not all housewives do nothing all day.
    Of course I don't home school. I only have one child in school. One at home, she is 3. Please don't imply I do nothing again, you know nothing about what I do. In my opinion, Yes, it can get boring. No matter how much I do, because of this I have decided to change things, & will be working very soon.
    Again, for the women who love staying home, & they get pleasure from it & have no doubts, then they should follow their bliss & do so.
    As far as setting higher goals for my daughter--why isn't dedicating her life to her family high enough? Unless she is a prodigy like no other, I don't see her doing anything so much greater than caring for a family to the utmost. I know I can't make any decisions for her, I never said I could. I'm surmising based off of things I've seen and experienced. Duh.
    A women can dedicate her life to her family & do much more...Duh

And I can't make anybody think anything--I'm sure my kids won't be so stupid as to be "made" to think or believe certain ways. I can express why I think it is the right thing, though.
    Of course you can, You will be there Mother.

I really don't need your recommendation.
    Of course not... your a know it all'
    Good luck with all that!
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    A women can dedicate her life to her family & do much more...Duh
    Some women would rather give their families their all. Like, their all, you know. All of it. They usually call them "supermoms" these days, but they're really just good housewives. Being a mother and a wife is a full time job for anyone who makes it such. Meaning that, for a lot of people, who are in no way weak, but rather strong and dedicated, they can't do "much more" than dedicating themselves to their families.

Of coarse not... your a know it all'
    Good luck with all that!
    I never said I know it all, but rather it's my lack of knowledge that disinterests me in "education". I know, by now, that education limits horizons for most people. See the studies showing that American students know less after four years of college, that says enough.

I don't need your recommendation to stay in school, though.

BTW, the phrase is "of course". "Coarse" means rough or unrefined.
    Polygamy: it might not be for you, but what right do you have to keep it from me?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Next World View Post
    Some women would rather give their families their all. Like, their all, you know. All of it. They usually call them "supermoms" these days, but they're really just good housewives. Being a mother and a wife is a full time job for anyone who makes it such. Meaning that, for a lot of people, who are in no way weak, but rather strong and dedicated, they can't do "much more" than dedicating themselves to their families.
    I know all about being a mother & wife is a full time job, but there is only so much cooking, cleaning, home things one can do, if your an outgoing person like you are, it might get old, you may start to feel like you want to do more. A family business like you mentioned would be great for parents, as long as it brings in enough income.
    I never said I know it all, but rather it's my lack of knowledge that disinterests me in "education". I know, by now, that education limits horizons for most people. See the studies showing that American students know less after four years of college, that says enough.
    You come off as a know it all, not always a bad thing except people aren't always going to agree with you, doesn't mean their any less.

I don't need your recommendation to stay in school, though.
    You already said that.

BTW, the phrase is "of course". "Coarse" means rough or unrefined.
    Thanks
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I know all about being a mother & wife is a full time job, but there is only so much cooking, cleaning, home things one can do, if your an outgoing person like you are, it might get old, you may start to feel like you want to do more. A family business like you mentioned would be great for parents, as long as it brings in enough income.
    Who said being outgoing is in any way related to being hard to amuse?
    You come off as a know it all, not always a bad thing except people aren't always going to agree with you, doesn't mean their any less.
    I come off as a know-it-all to you because you disagree with me and my right to believe in certain outcomes and possibilities.
    You already said that.
    And you didn't get it.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Next World View Post
    Who said being outgoing is in any way related to being hard to amuse?
    I do.

I come off as a know-it-all to you because you disagree with me and my right to believe in certain outcomes and possibilities.
    I may disagree, didn't say anything about your right, your right is whatever you want, I never try to take that away or take away from it.

And you didn't get it.
    Huh? :p

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I do.
    Well, I disagree with you, especially in my case, which is the one that matters to me. Outgoing people function upon their own initiative, and for that reason I find it entirely easy to entertain and occupy myself, as it is my sole responsibility, nobody else's.

Really though, let's get this thread back on the subject of homeschooling.

Here's a good site with homeschooling information, the map of laws is particularly interesting.
    http://www.hslda.org/laws/

My state has very lax homeschool criteria, which is sometimes surprisingly as we have some of the best homeschoolers in the country, from all accounts.

Connecticut Legal Home Schooling Options: 1

Option: 1
    Legal Option: Establish and operate a home school
    Attendance: Generally, 180 days per year
    Subjects: Reading, writing, spelling, English, grammar, geography, arithmetic, United States history, and citizenship, including a study of the town, state and federal governments
    Qualifications: None
    Notice: None, but parents may voluntarily comply with State Dept. of Education guidelines by filing a";Notice of Intent" form with the local superintendent within 10 days of the start of home school
    Recordkeeping: The guidelines require that parents maintain a portfolio indicating that instruction in the required courses has been given
    Testing: None

The curriculum requirements are very limited, I plan to teach my children much more than that.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    ^ Do parents have to have a GED or HSD? Or No?

& how do the systems check on the child's progress or do they?

I think its funny how parents go to jail for their children not attending school, yet home schooling could be made a joke. ( not by you ) others.

Just some things I wondered, figured you would know KNOW lol

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ^ Do parents have to have a GED or HSD? Or No?

& how do the systems check on the child's progress or do they?

I think its funny how parents go to jail for their children not attending school, yet home schooling could be made a joke. ( not by you ) others.

Just some things I wondered, figured you would know KNOW lol
    Not in my state, but in this state most people over 18 do have a HSD or GED.

A porfolio is kept and submitted routinely to demonstrate that the student is receiving an education equivelant to the provided curriculum (public school). All that is required is that the student has the minimum necessary mastery of the required subjects, as demonstrated through the work in the portfolio.

Homeschooling really can't be made a joke in most places, I know people who have lost their right to homeschool for being too lax, despite our state having such lax regulations. In areas that require homeschooling to be done through a "church" in order for it to be valid, then there's an obvious area for it to be left as a joke. There was an interracial family around here some years back who had a church-based homeschool program for their kids. Their kids thoroughly believed that dinosaurs were the creation of the devil. Kind of crazy.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast