View Poll Results: Should we immunise against diseases?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 57.14%
  • No

9 42.86%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Immunisations

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 08:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brynhild View Post
    Ye Gods, if this isn't another scare-mongering tactic, it's an excuse for girls to think: "Hey, I can have a load of partners and still avoid cancer by taking the shot."
    I really doubt that's the message they're trying to send. A girl can get HPV from having one partner, especially seeing as most men don't show any signs of it, and it is so common. Not to mention it can be passed on even if condoms are used.

Last Online
    Monday, August 6th, 2012 @ 05:10 AM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Wisconsin Wisconsin
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Immunizations for those who want them, yes.

Trampling religious beliefs to force people to immunize their children? No.

Allowing a psychiatrist to use drugs to turn my (hypothetical) child into a zombie because he/she looked out the window in class? No.

Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    I really doubt that's the message they're trying to send. A girl can get HPV from having one partner, especially seeing as most men don't show any signs of it, and it is so common. Not to mention it can be passed on even if condoms are used.
    Hang on a moment. I could be misunderstanding what you're suggesting here, but last I looked, Men don't have a cervix? Do you know what a cervix is? I didn't say that was the message that they're sending, but it could be what some girls would be thinking.

I knew a virgin woman who died from it, but she'd be an exception. Doctors will always ask how many partners do you have/have you had? Seems to me that they are implying the more partners and intercourse you have the more stress the cervix is under.
    Dick Dastardly: "MUTTLEY, DO SOMETHING!!!!"
    Muttley: "Hehehehehehehehehe"

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Film Student
    Politics
    rergreheh
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Some immunization and vaccination drugs have a kill rating comparible to the disease they are trying to prevent. There is also a lot of groups trying to organize a class action law suit against some of them. I would say such invasive medicine should be refrained from and be used as a last resort such as in the case of rabies since it's essentially a death sentence otherwise.

Oh and that cancer vaccination sounds like snake oil in it's purest form. Cancer is a side effect of damage cells/genetics, not a virus. That's like trying to immunize someone from old age or stupidity.

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Men can have HPV without having a cervix. They just get penile and anal cancer. The vaccine in question is for several strains of HPV. The virus damages cells and makes them more prone to cancer.

About immunizations in general I support informed patient/parental concent. I think that sanatizers other than boiling are used too frequently. The immune system needs challenges to fully develop. I recieved the 'standand' immunazation shots and so have my children. My kids have not had thermasol(sp?) in theirs though.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ladybright View Post
    Men can have HPV without having a cervix. They just get penile and anal cancer. The vaccine in question is for several strains of HPV. The virus damages cells and makes them more prone to cancer.

About immunizations in general I support informed patient/parental concent. I think that sanatizers other than boiling are used too frequently. The immune system needs challenges to fully develop. I recieved the 'standand' immunazation shots and so have my children. My kids have not had thermasol(sp?) in theirs though.

Fair enough. To me, though, it's like dishing out medicine before the symptoms are even prevalent. Cancer has a metaphysical cause, and the root cause is our emotions. Stress is also a trigger. Everyone has it - something just needs to set it off. And I'm all too aware of what it's like to lose loved ones to cancer.

I still stand by the fact that doctors and pharmaceutical companies will not inform patients of what truly goes into their medicines - because they have the most to lose financially. I still also stand by the fact that the world is getting sicker, not healthier.
    Dick Dastardly: "MUTTLEY, DO SOMETHING!!!!"
    Muttley: "Hehehehehehehehehe"

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123