Icelandic, 1/4 Eng
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Your Opinion on Libertarianism?

Libertarianism or classical liberalism(what's the difference?) seems to have a "cult following" these days. I agree with some facets of it, but it just strikes me as a "let it be" attitude. No nation ever became great without at least some governmental Interference.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 31st, 2009 @ 02:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Norwegian-German
    Subrace
    KN + Bruenn
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Libertarian/An-Cap
    Religion
    Anthroposophical Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Voyager View Post
    Libertarianism or classical liberalism(what's the difference?) seems to have a "cult following" these days. I agree with some facets of it, but it just strikes me as a "let it be" attitude. No nation ever became great without at least some governmental Interference.
    No, no nation ever became great without some government interference, but lots of individuals do. While the concept of "nation" certainly has some redeeming features, I'd still like to see the least amount of government involved as possible. I think people are better off when left to form their own associative groups (social & economic) organically. I've never met you, but I bet I have more in common with you than some Mestizo who happens to have citizenship in the U.S. I favor freedom over security as well, so that may influence my thought. I'd rather live on my own as a free man than exist on my knees subserviant to some bloated bureacracy that doesn't give a rat's ass about me or my kin anyway. Having said all that I'm still proud to be an American (I haven't gone total AnCap yet), but I could still do with a lot less American government.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    — Samuel Adams

Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 08:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic, 1/4 Eng
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galloglaich View Post
    No, no nation ever became great without some government interference, but lots of individuals do. While the concept of "nation" certainly has some redeeming features, I'd still like to see the least amount of government involved as possible. I think people are better off when left to form their own associative groups (social & economic) organically. I've never met you, but I bet I have more in common with you than some Mestizo who happens to have citizenship in the U.S. I favor freedom over security as well, so that may influence my thought. I'd rather live on my own as a free man than exist on my knees subserviant to some bloated bureacracy that doesn't give a rat's ass about me or my kin anyway. Having said all that I'm still proud to be an American (I haven't gone total AnCap yet), but I could still do with a lot less American government.
    I never said I wanted state totalitarianism. I believe that government is needed to maintain social order, but I'm not talking about going as far as installing CCTV in your home, I also favour privacy and civil liberty just not on such an extreme level.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Subrace
    KN + Bruenn
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Libertarian/An-Cap
    Religion
    Anthroposophical Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Voyager View Post
    I never said I wanted state totalitarianism. I believe that government is needed to maintain social order, but I'm not talking about going as far as installing CCTV in your home, I also favour privacy and civil liberty just not on such an extreme level.
    Voyager,
    I didn't really take your post as an any endorsement of authoritarianism. If I seemed extreme, it was only because my post was a fairly rushed one before having to rush out the door and I just wanted to inject a few (admittedly terse) sentiments out there. I was also projecting from a more "American" POV. Regardless, I still think that the more free-market options and personal liberties a society has ingrained in its fabric, the better. I just see how much "top down" administrational inefficiencies have degraded the wonderful nation in which I live. I would like to see it scaled back before it reaches critical mass (or has it already?).

Even though the document has little pertinence to many of the constituents of this forum, I'd be happy with a return (within the U.S.) to the fundamental principles of the U.S. Constitution, with special philosophical (essentially minarchist) emphasis on the interpretation of the "necessary and proper" clause (Art. 1, sec. 8, clause 18) taken to mean "Must be absolutely and extremely necessary and proper; especially in light of the 10th Amendment ("The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."). But I digress, and I'm sure many of you may care little for something that doesn't really apply anyway.

Economically, I'm Austrian.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    — Samuel Adams

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Libertarianism is so preferred today because every government is run by people without the Nations interests in mind, therefore I can see why it is liked. But it will always pale in comparison to a properly run hierarchal government, as history has shown. There will never be a libertarian nation reaching the heights of Rome, Sparta, Imperial Japan, Britain, Germany, etc. etc. in any field.

We are born to fight and to die and to continue the Flow
    The Flow of our People

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Subrace
    KN + Bruenn
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Libertarian/An-Cap
    Religion
    Anthroposophical Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Wodann View Post
    ...There will never be a libertarian nation reaching the heights of Rome, Sparta, Imperial Japan, Britain, Germany, etc. etc. in any field.
    That all depends on what you define as the "heights".
    — Samuel Adams

Last Online
    Thursday, October 8th, 2009 @ 11:09 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think Libertarianism is a bit too utopian. It can be achieved, but not maintained.
    Perfection.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. - Ambrose Bierce

Account Disabled on Request

Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 03:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    England was "libertarian" up until the early 20th Century. So much was achieved by private investment. The police force was tiny and crime was low.

It does work... but not with today's calibre of citizen. I used to be a diehard libertarian but now I'm mostly apolitical. When you are libertarian everything the government does stresses you out, it's best to step back and accept (1) democracy & politicians are dumb (2) things will continue getting a little worse and there's nothing one can do about it.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 17th, 2009 @ 02:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norse-Irish
    Ancestry
    Norway, Ireland, Scotland, France
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid + Bruenn
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Taoist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    ...There will never be a libertarian nation reaching the heights of Rome, Sparta, Imperial Japan, Britain, Germany, etc. etc. in any field.
    I'm sorry but I don't think any sane Libertarian wants a "Libertarian Empire", don't confuse imperialism with libertarianism. I'd rather be dead than live in the Roman Empire as an average citizen.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 8th, 2009 @ 02:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    Lithuanian/Polish
    Subrace
    East Baltid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think a great country would allow its citizens freedoms and liberties. Just because a country tries to attain "Empire" status, does not mean that it is great. The more the USA inched towards becoming an imperial power in the world, the more freedoms were taken away from its citizens.
    The more I learn about my government, :, the more I value my guns.

"That government is best which
    governs the least".....Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast