Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Some People from USA, Canada, Call Themselves German, English, Etc.?

-Walküre-

Why Do Some People from USA, Canada, Call Themselves German, English, Etc.?

Hello everybody,

I have a question of USA or Canada residents. Why they call themself German or English when they aren't? Americans who come to Germany can't speak German and have American accent but some who are racist call themself German. Why? USA and Canada citizens should accept their colonies identities don't you think?

With German greeting,
    Walküre

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 @ 08:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Walküre View Post
    Hello everybody,

I have a question of USA or Canada residents. Why they call themself German or English when they aren't? Americans who come to Germany can't speak German and have American accent but some who are racist call themself German. Why? USA and Canada citizens should accept their colonies identities don't you think?

With German greeting,
    Walküre
    Because there's no such thing as Canadian or American blood. And I don't think "colonial" is a very accurate depiction of one's racial identity.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well my dear I can't answer your question as well as some others will & Oh,they will ....

Some people may be American Or Canadian but they may have German ancestors or family in Germany. Just because someone doesn't speak German,doesn't mean that they don't have German blood or ancestors.

I think most people here know there identities very well.
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

-Walküre-
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas Aequitas View Post
    Because there's no such thing as Canadian or American blood. And I don't think "colonial" is a very accurate depiction of one's racial identity.
    I am not speak of racial identity but of nationality. Americans and Canadians are Europeans racially but not nationally and culturally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Lyfing View Post
    Well my dear I can't answer your question as well as some others will & Oh,they will ....

Some people may be American Or Canadian but they may have German ancestors or family in Germany. Just because someone doesn't speak German,doesn't mean that they don't have German blood or ancestors.

I think most people here know there identities very well.
    To be German you must speak German and be cultural German, blood is not enough. They should call themself Americans with German ancestry but not German. In Germany we wouldn't consider them German.

With German greeting,
    Walküre

Last Online
    Sunday, May 31st, 2009 @ 02:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Norwegian-German
    Subrace
    KN + Bruenn
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Libertarian/An-Cap
    Religion
    Anthroposophical Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Because it's natural for an American to dichotomize between ethnic identity and national identity. It's the result of mass non-homogenous immigration. If you ask an American if he is German, he assumes you are talking about ethnic identity.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    — Samuel Adams

-Walküre-
    Quote Originally Posted by Galloglaich View Post
    Because it's natural for an American to dichotomize between ethnic identity and national identity. It's the result of mass non-homogenous immigration. If you ask an American if he is German, he assumes you are talking about ethnic identity.
    I'm not speak of ethnic identity, please read my sentences. I'm speak of Americans and Canadians who say they are the same as Germans, English, usw. Peoplen who refuse to identify with USA and Canada and want to identify with Germany and England, but they never visited and lived there and they don't know our national problems. Sorry if my English is not good.

With German greeting,
    Walküre

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    State
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am not speak of racial identity but of nationality. Americans and Canadians are Europeans racially but not nationally and culturally.

To be German you must speak German and be cultural German, blood is not enough. They should call themself Americans with German ancestry but not German. In Germany we wouldn't consider them German.

With German greeting,
    Walküre
    Anybody living in the US or Canada and calls themselves a German National either has dual-citizenship or is a flat out liar.

-Walküre-
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas Aequitas View Post
    Anybody living in the US or Canada and calls themselves a German National either has dual-citizenship or is a flat out liar.
    That's exactly what I mean Veritas Aequitas. Peoplen with no citizenship who never lived in Europe but they call themself German or English usw. I'm not understand why.

With German greeting,
    Walküre

Last Online
    Sunday, May 31st, 2009 @ 02:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Norwegian-German
    Subrace
    KN + Bruenn
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Libertarian/An-Cap
    Religion
    Anthroposophical Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm not speak of ethnic identity, please read my sentences. I'm speak of Americans and Canadians who say they are the same as Germans, English, usw. Peoplen who refuse to identify with USA and Canada and want to identify with Germany and England, but they never visited and lived there and they don't know our national problems. Sorry if my English is not good.

With German greeting,
    Walküre
    I read your sentences, I just started writing my reply before your second post (sorry I type slowly). I don't know any Americans who claim German or English nationality unless they actually hold dual citizenship. Most of the people I know identify strongly with being "American" regardless of their ethnicity (which they view as something separate).
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    — Samuel Adams

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    State
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    That's exactly what I mean Veritas Aequitas. Peoplen with no citizenship who never lived in Europe but they call themself German or English usw. I'm not understand why.

With German greeting,
    Walküre
    Where is this question coming from then? Give an example of people who call themselves German when they're American or Canadian?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast