Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why Do Some People from USA, Canada, Call Themselves German, English, Etc.?

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 @ 10:48 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German/Dutch/Austrian/Danish
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As an American, the United States represents an ideal to me, but I consider myself ethnically German. This applies to describe myself in some contexts, but it's sort of the same thing as being a woman and also a student. Ethnically, I am German, while I am a citizen of the United States. My national loyalties lie with the United States, and my ethnic loyalties lie with the Germanic people. I have no loyalty to Germany as a political entity or a physical land, simply to the people of similar ancestry.

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago @ 12:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    Vinlandic
    Ancestry
    1/2 German, 1/4 Norwegian, 1/4 Irish
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Todesengel View Post
    Yet the rejection of "German-Americans" as Germans among German nationalists is not alien.
    In the end, I think blood is what's most important, but I think that everyone would (or at least should) agree that "German-Americans" are not truly "German," and they never can be -- even if they are of pure German blood, move to Germany, learn the language, abandon all American habits, and fully assimilate into the community. Every country has its own unique psychological mindset and temperament, or "quirks" if you will, that just cannot simply be erased from minds of the people who grow up under them, no matter how hard they try.

A good example would be each nations unique sense of humor. There are some things that Germans find funny that would leave most Americans scratching their heads and wondering what was so funny. And vice-versa of course. I became aware of this because I know several German ex-pats where I live, and I also had a German girlfriend and have been to Germany several times.

Although there might be some indelible psychological differences between us, that's not to say we can't get along with each other and can't assimilate enough to be comfortable living and becoming part of each others' respective nations on a very small scale (at least with regards to German-Americans relocating to Germany).

Tens of thousands out of a group of millions? That speaks clearly where the loyalties of the majority laid. How do you call taking up arms against your country of origin?
    America certainly had no business getting involved in that war, but it's not really fair to blame the sons of German immigrants who took part, most of whom had no choice since they were drafted into the army anyway. Besides, they were American citizens at that point who probably liked living in America (at that time it was a nicer place to live than today).

I would also imagine that many of those 1st or 2nd generation German immigrants who had maintained close ties to the fatherland probably did their best to be deployed to the Pacific theater.

We shouldn't accept either "German-Americans" who are long cut from their cultural and linguistic ancestry, nor Russians who have few drops of German blood left in their family lines. Simple as that.
    Agreed. It's entirely up to you guys to decide, not the descendants of immigrants.

German-Americans are rejected because they want to both have the cake and eat it. Well, that can't happen. Most German-Americans I met want to be embraced with open arms by German nationalists although they make little effort to return to their roots.
    To be totally honest, I have always been struck by how warmly I've been treated by Germans in real life, including staunch German nationalists. I think they know a kindred spirit when they see one. However, my physical appearance blends in very well amongst native Germans, I have a good German surname, I try my best to speak the language (even if it does get a lot of laughs ), and have studied a lot of German history, so I'm sure that has helped me.

Sadly, I agree that most Americans are too lazy or indifferent to bother to put forth any REAL efforts to get in touch with their roots.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234