Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why Do Some People from USA, Canada, Call Themselves German, English, Etc.?

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 11:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    What they mean is that: "I am of German heritage". I doubt very much that they mean that they are German citizens or even ethnically or culturally German.

Read it this way:

"I am of German heritage".

"I am of German ancestry".

"My family background is German".

Something along those lines.

-WalkŁre-
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas Aequitas View Post
    Where is this question coming from then? Give an example of people who call themselves German when they're American or Canadian?
    Some American racist who come to Germany as tourist call themself German. They say Americans, Canadians, Australians can be like German, English nationals even without nationality and birthright. Here on this forum I receive PN from Canadian who say they're English.

With German greeting,
    WalkŁre

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Calling oneself 'American" or "Canadian" can be tricky, because of the differnet ethnic groups that have settleed in North America. Hell, in the US we have to share the American label with Negroes & Mestizos. Some persons of Anglo-Germanic stock from the colonial era call themselves American, but they live mainly in areas without racial minorities & that were not affected by the wave of ethnic Europeans in the 19th & early 20th centuries. In Canada, Canadians of Protestant British stock have always shared the Canadian label with the Quebecois & with Irish-Catholics & subsequently with a variety of other Europeans & now large numbers of Asians & Midlle Easterners.

If restricitve immigration laws had been adopted circa 1830, giving preference to English & Protestant Celts & a limited number of Germans, then Anglo-Germanics in the US might have developed a new ethnic identity as "American". The descendents of the French settlers in Canada became Quebecois because of the lack of infusion of new immigrants, allowing them to develope a sense of ethnic identity. The same thing happen in South Africa with the Afrikaners. But the continued waves of immigrants to the Us made this difficult. Even the Germans who were racially compatible were difficult to assimilate because of the large numbers that came in the mid-19th century & their tendency to settle in ethnic enclaves. And the fact that many 19th century Germans did not translate their surnames into English or Anglicize the spellings - unlike many 18th century German settlers, meant that their names still standout as German after several generations in America.

So this is why so many Americans & Canadians feel the necessity of eleaborating on their heritage. Many Americans of English heritage do not do this however. Americans of English descent have in many cases been in the America so long their is no longer a folk memory of having lived anywhere else & ethnicity to them means something other then English or Old Stock American.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 @ 09:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Walküre View Post
    Some American racist who come to Germany as tourist call themself German. They say Americans, Canadians, Australians can be like German, English nationals even without nationality and birthright. Here on this forum I receive PN from Canadian who say they're English.

With German greeting,
    Walküre
    Well then the only explanation to that is their confusion and/or shame of being Canadian, American, Australian. I don't share their sympathies and I don't know of any on here who do either. I am, above anything else, a Canadian.

Last Online
    Saturday, April 4th, 2009 @ 02:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Subrace
    Nordid/Atlantid.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Massachusetts Massachusetts
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Looking
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkŁre View Post
    Americans who come to Germany can't speak German
    Ich kann Deutsch.
    SVMDEVSSVMCAESARSVMCAELVMETINFERNVM

Last Online
    Sunday, May 4th, 2008 @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am not speak of racial identity but of nationality. Americans and Canadians are Europeans racially but not nationally and culturally.

To be German you must speak German and be cultural German, blood is not enough. They should call themself Americans with German ancestry but not German. In Germany we wouldn't consider them German.
    There are Turkish persons living in Germany that speak the German language fluently and have assimilated into German society yet they have no German bloodline. Do you consider them Germans?

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 04:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Is it a big issue what people call themselves or is it an excuse to be snotty and look down at others (generally speaking).

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 @ 09:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEnglishNorman View Post
    Is it a big issue what people call themselves or is it an excuse to be snotty and look down at others (generally speaking).
    Just some more anti-colonial garbage/resentment that some German Nationals just can't help but spout.

-WalkŁre-
    Quote Originally Posted by Emder View Post
    There are Turkish persons living in Germany that speak the German language fluently and have assimilated into German society yet they have no German bloodline. Do you consider them Germans?
    No of course I don't. They aren't racially compatible to be German.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEnglishNorman View Post
    I'm not understand what is snotty but I think it's a big issue. When people want to be called my heritage and they're not it angers me. Self identify isn't enough, you have to be accepted or rejected by other too, that's how ethnicity is recognized. We German nationalists don't accept colonial who call themself German.

With German greeting,
    WalkŁre

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I'm not understand what is snotty but I think it's a big issue. When people want to be called my heritage and they're not it angers me. Self identify isn't enough, you have to be accepted or rejected by other too, that's how ethnicity is recognized. We German nationalists don't accept colonial who call themself German.
    I can understand your concerns for sure Walkure.... but if you ask a question, then surely you must be willing to listen to the answer... and I don't think you're really listening as yet. I think Allenson said it best (and most concisely), maybe you should read it again :

Quote Originally Posted by Allenson
    What they mean is that: "I am of German heritage". I doubt very much that they mean that they are German citizens or even ethnically or culturally German.

Read it this way:

"I am of German heritage".

"I am of German ancestry".

"My family background is German".

From a personal point of view...

I myself say that I am ethnically English (because my family came from England and culturally, linguistically etc I am still English), and as an ethnic nationalist this is my nationality too... but my country, my home and my region is Australia. This is a HUGE part of my identity. I am distinctive from an English person who was born and raised in England... much like someone who was born and raised in London can easily be distinguished from someone who was born and raised in Liverpool. Both my ethnicity (English) and my regional home (Australian) are both important parts of my identity.

If you were to ask me to identify myself I would say that I am an Australian of English heritage.

I should not have to relinquish my English ancestry and my personal history simply because I was born and raised in a faraway part of the former British Empire. (And I certainly won't do it to appease continental Europeans who do not understand for a second what it is to be a "colonial".) However, I would never relinquish my Australian identity either.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkure
    Here on this forum I receive PN from Canadian who say they're English.
    Well, Freydis is a bit unusual in her insistence on being 100% English and 0% Canadian. She's the only "colonial" I've ever heard of to do this... Nevertheless, she is adorable and we love her just the way she is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast