View Poll Results: Do you believe in equality between men and women?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

104 42.80%
  • No.

111 45.68%
  • Other.

28 11.52%
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Believe in Equality Between Men and Women?

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 03:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Wodann View Post
    I don't think we are equal because we are essentially too different. Any attempt to minimize these differences, as has been done by feminism and liberalism is a huge insult to both men and women, and is essentially telling you that you are the same as the opposite gender, just with different sexual organs. It is typical for liberalism to subvert such a thing to its lowest and most perverse possible level, namely physical differences, and quite frankly I find is disgusting. Which rights they should and should not have would be very clear if our societies weren't as degenerate as they are today.
    But isn't it the case that "right wing reactionaries" tend to overplay the differences. There's a happy medium somewhere...

Senior Member Soldier of Wodann's Avatar
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEnglishNorman View Post
    But isn't it the case that "right wing reactionaries" tend to overplay the differences. There's a happy medium somewhere...
    Have right wing reactionaries dictated gender relations for the last 5000 years? It is clear where the lines should be drawn in any western society, only recently has this changed.

We are born to fight and to die and to continue the Flow
    The Flow of our People

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Lyfing View Post
    I am not sure where to put this Thread so if it needs moved please do so.

Today I have heard some statements about what Women should & should not be able to do. Although, the source isn't very source reliant I wonder if any males here would agree that Women are not equal to Men? Should we Vote? Should we be in Politics? Why and Why Not?

Do you respect Women or do you just think they should be home cleaning,cooking,etc?

Do you value the Women on the Althing?
    & for the lovely ladies...have you ever experienced things of this nature?

Please no horrible statements which will cause infractions or closing of the Thread...

No worries--I moved the thread to the Relationships & Sexual Morality forum. It seemed like the best fit anyway.

OK, now to answer your questions:

-No, I don't think that men & women are equal. It's already been said that no two individuals are equal on every front, so clearly the two genders can not be either. This isn't a value judgement on women by any means--women are better equiped than men for certain situations just as men are better than women in others. These situations and our gender-based 'tool kits' to deal with them are just different. Not better, not worse, just different.

-Of course women should vote and be involved in politics. They are a part of the population, aren't they?

-And yes, I respect women very much. I love the ladies, actually. :p I respect women in that they are the compliment to men just we men are the compliment to women.

-Lastly, yes, I value the women here on the forum very much. It would't be the same place, and frankly, it would be rather boring if it was just bunch of dudes around here.

Tacitus on the ancient Germanics and women:

And what most stimulates their courage is, that their squadrons or battalions, instead of being formed by chance or by a fortuitous gathering, are composed of families and clans. Close by them, too, are those dearest to them, so that they hear the shrieks of women, the cries of infants. They are to every man the most sacred witnesses of his bravery-they are his most generous applauders. The soldier brings his wounds to mother and wife, who shrink not from counting or even demanding them and who administer food and encouragement to the combatants.

Tradition says that armies already wavering and giving way have been rallied by women who, with earnest entreaties and bosoms laid bare, have vividly represented the horrors of captivity, which the Germans fear with such extreme dread on behalf of their women, that the strongest tie by which a state can be bound is the being required to give, among the number of hostages, maidens of noble birth. They even believe that the sex has a certain sanctity and prescience, and they do not despise their counsels, or make light of their answers.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/tacitus1.html

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Women should not be involved in politics, there are, of course, exceptions to he rule, but they should stay exceptions, rare occurrences.

The question whether a woman should be at home or work, is attached to the question what purpose women serve, and can't be seen separated from this point.
    A woman is the keeper of race, through their ability to give birth. Her paramount purpose is to give birth, if she has to work for that to happen, she works, if she has to stay at home for that she stays at home, if she is not dependent on either, she can choose freely.
    Simple eh?

And it is clear that woman are not suitable for all jobs men are (although the reverse seems not true :p)
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    Women should not be involved in politics, there are, of course, exceptions to he rule, but they should stay exceptions, rare occurrences.
    Why shouldn't women be involved in politics? I know the reason can't be because men are doing such a great job.
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier of Wodann View Post
    Have right wing reactionaries dictated gender relations for the last 5000 years? It is clear where the lines should be drawn in any western society, only recently has this changed.
    Are you talking about cottage industrys? Making cloth, brewing, innkeeping etc.

It seems that the industial revolution has changed gender roles as much or more than feminism.

I think that is is possible to be respected as a woman and work outside the home or keep home. Unfortunately the job of keeping a house is not respected as it once was. Technological advances let us do many things quicker but not nessisarily better.

Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Lyfing View Post
    Why shouldn't women be involved in politics? I know the reason can't be because men are doing such a great job.
    You forget that male politicians are pandering to an electorate that is 1/2 female. Add in all the other groups - racial, economic, gay/lesbian/transgender etc... - & the need to please a majority of all special interest groups to pass any legislation, is it any wonder we're in such a mess. Universal suffrage is no way to elect a government to run a well-functioning society.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, October 1st, 2010 @ 11:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Women should have the opportunity to be involved in the political process, and I'm very hesitant to say I would deny them that right. If I did, I'd be a big, fat hypocrite because I happily exercise my right to it. However, I firmly agree that men are better suited for political positions. The majority of women have a history of promoting liberal standpoints, wanting to be babied by the government, reaching out to minority groups, supporting restrictions on the right to bear arms, etc. and politicians of all parties have no choice but to bend over backwards for them. To be forward, I do not trust the lot of them to make logical, in depth, well-informed decisions and I think they are a threat to traditional, conservative values. Thankfully, female politicians will likely always be the exception and minority.

As for stay-at-home mothers, I have plenty of respect for them and see no reason why they should be disrespected. They don't receive a paycheck, but they do just as much work as those who do (if not more). I'll probably end up being a stay-at-home mother myself, at least for a portion of my married life. I cannot see missing the most important stages of my child's development and would not want to place all those valuable moments in the hands of a stranger or some daycare worker, nor would I want them to be teaching my child life's important lessons. Stay-at-home mothers sacrifice a great deal of their chance for a career even after their children are old enough to go to school and take care of themselves. The likelihood of them getting hired for positions they are qualified for after years of being out of the work force is slim. Personally, I'd be more than willing to give up my chance for a career for family. Even if I would somehow like both, family should always come first.

Oh, and no, men and women are not equal

Last Online
    Monday, March 26th, 2018 @ 11:59 PM
    Ethnicity
    European Blood, American Soil
    Ancestry
    English, Swedish, Scottish, Irish, German, Welsh
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Beyond left and right
    Religion
    Odin/Thor/Freyr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I make no claims about what women ought or ought not to do, so long as they do not make any claims about what I should do or avoid. I am a man and will not tone things down to pass as a generic sort of eunich.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 4th, 2008 @ 10:35 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think women should be allowed to do whatever they what to do as long as they have dinner on the table every night

Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast