Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Stance Towards Naturism?

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 14th, 2012 @ 08:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's Your Stance Towards Naturism?

Was wondering what the stance on this topic is to Germanics and likewise everyone on the board. How were you raised to think of the human body in it's most natural state and what do you think of people who practice Naturism? In my own experience, the human body and anatomical functioning was never talked about in my family, and that's to be expected coming from a Catholic family most of the time, and outside of the bedroom I couldn't possibly 'bare' the thought of others looking at my stuff. What's your take?

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I make a difference between Naturism and Nudism. For me, "Naturism" is the way to accept the body in it´s most natural forms as "normal" and to preserve it, in contrast to plastic surgery or "artificial beauty" trough camouflage, overdosing make-up and other things that destroy natural beauty, for example.
    "Nudism" is social nudity, like going to nudism camps or naked beaches.

While I support and practise Naturism by myself (I don´t use make-up anymore, and I don´t find shaving half of the body okay (It´s a practice coming from near-east regions), so I abandoned it), I don´t practise nudism. My body is my own business, and I don´t have to expose myself in every aspect to other people in the social enviroment. Also, I´m not outgoing enough for that, I suppose.

I was raised the "middle way", neither very "catholic", nor very naturalistic. If I had questions, I got my answer, but in the proper way for my age. *g* And I knew all what matters when I was 11 or 12.

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Great clarification Valkyrie.
    I was raised very naturalistic. I read my moms biology texts when I was 10. I could ask about physical things although sex type questions were mostly to my mom. I am not embarrased by my body. Makeup and shaving are sometimes socially appropriate(kind of like drinking).

I do not recall discussions with my parents about nudists. I have never been to a nude beach but I am not offended by the concept. I just see no need to go looking for one. I have never gone skinnydipping around others.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Last Online
    Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Naturalism is to be distinguished from naturism. Naturism is nudism with a nicer name; Naturalism is the practice of keeping the body "100% Organic", even if you cover it with inorganic things.

This is how I understand the terms.

I was not raised to be a Naturalist, but I am one. I was raised to be a naturist, but I'm not one. I was tempted to bring this up back when people were arguing about the Swedish feminists finding it more important to have the right to go topless than to fix the rape problem their country has.

One of my parents (father) is a naturist and not a Naturalist, the other is not a naturist, but is a Naturalist (mother). Despite the fact that I was raised to my father's liking, I grew up to be more like my mother.

I feel comfortable being nude around other people, and I rarely ever feel "naked" (there is a difference between being naked and being nude) without my clothes on. I also don't have the same stigma about nudity as most of my peers--I don't freak out if I see somebody's buttcrack. It doesn't mean I like to see it, it just doesn't bother me. What does bother me, though, is when people wear clothing with the intention of sexualizing every portion of their bodies. I would rather that people go around nude than wear shirts that ONLY show their cleavage and their navel and cover everything else. If one cannot dress tastefully, one might as well go around nude.

However, despite the fact that I'm comfortable when I'm nude (unless I'm running... the bra is one of the oldest pieces of clothing with many stages of development behind it for a reason), I prefer that I am clothed around others. Nudity is for showering, sleeping (sometimes), swimming (sometimes), loafing around home alone (sometimes), and I suppose when I'm on the proper terms to have sex with someone, if that person is around it should still be okay to be nude. Those are my personal boundaries. I'm okay with nudist environments, I don't think the general public should walk around in the nude, it should be "all or nothing" for everybody or nobody, in my opinion. So, I know not to bring my children around there, if I don't want to.

I can say from personal experiences that most of the people who are at nudist camps aren't the kind of people I'd want to be friends with. While not all of the guys there are pedophiles, there is reason for that rumor to have started. Most of the women and children were reluctantly dragged along by their boyfriends/husbands/fathers, half of whom are in favor of "Naturism" because of some sort of related early-childhood trauma (my father included). When I was younger, the old women who went so that SOME man would have to stare at their post-prime bodies and they could feel "sexy" and good about themselves... they really creeped me out. Now I think back to them and it's just kind of sad.

Very few people are there for legitimate reasons (simply not wanting to wear clothes). I'm sure a lot of people were there as voyeurs (although, they had to strip due to the anti-voyeurism rules).

I'm always nude underneath my clothing, the times and places I'm allowed to take my clothing off are more than good enough for me. If nudism should be allowed in any place, I'd say that public swimming pools should be the next step, but I can't really fairly say that, as I don't use public pools.
    Polygamy: it might not be for you, but what right do you have to keep it from me?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas Aequitas View Post
    Was wondering what the stance on this topic is to Germanics and likewise everyone on the board. How were you raised to think of the human body in it's most natural state and what do you think of people who practice Naturism? In my own experience, the human body and anatomical functioning was never talked about in my family, and that's to be expected coming from a Catholic family most of the time, and outside of the bedroom I couldn't possibly 'bare' the thought of others looking at my stuff. What's your take?
    I believe that thought is unnatural and there is no reason why we should be ashamed of our bodies. There will be situations when people will have to look at your "stuff" and you will have no choice, like going to the doctor's or being in the army. We weren't born dressed. However, in our communitites the standard has changes now and we do not go around (un)dressed as our ancestors did. I would not mind naturism (nudism) but it is not the social standard so people will raise eyebrows at those who practice it.

Die Sonne scheint noch.

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Daci, Suebi, Carpi
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Single adult
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heidin
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas Æquitas View Post
    How were you raised to think of the human body in it's most natural state and what do you think of people who practice Naturism?
    How I was raised to think about it... hmmm, I guess it doesn't matter anymore now. I was very ashamed of nakedness, I couldn't even take my clothes off when visiting the doctor for that reason. I couldn't stand seeing my mom taking her clothes off while changing clothes, but I don't remember if anyone educated me in that way, it was mostly something formed in my childhood, maybe for other reasons. It was a time when I was very religious in a dogmatic Christian way, so everything like that was to be blamed in my opinion at the time...

But time goes on, things changed. When I was in my early 20's I started a relationship with someone who was practicing Naturism, more or less (not sure yet which is the difference between Naturism and other related terms, I am still learning about it). I didn't know that in the beginning, but gradually... love has the power to change people.

He helped me a lot to transform myself in a good way, and from the person who was ashamed to take her clothes off even at the doctor, I became a person who was going out nude on the beach and swimming nude without any problem. Radical transformation, isn't it?

He helped me to learn to love my body and to not feel ashamed of it anymore. It was very simple, don't ask me how it happened, but it happened. Love has this miraculous transformative power.

While I cannot even accept now the idea to swim or take a bath with clothes on (it seems really strange, and also it's a very weird feeling to feel the wet clothes in your most intimate areas, that's very strange and unnatural!), the same goes with sun-bathing. I don't like to get a tan with shapes of clothes... I don't like to get a tan in general, but I read more about the benefits of sun-bathing over time, so now I'm an adept of it, if it's made wisely. I can't wait to get to a naturist beach and bath in the sun naked, and take a bath in the sea, lake or whatever spot of clean and natural water, also naked! It's just so natural, to feel the air, and the sun, and the water, all over the body, with no exception! Our bodies need that... and who experienced this can understand it, who didn't, they don't know what they are missing.

Of course, I prefer if it's not so many people around watching... And I don't like the idea of public exposure of nudity when it's not the case, for example biking or hiking nude... I still find it weird. But sun-bathing and swimming naked, that's the most natural thing ever! Hiking naked, I don't know, I never tried it!

What I think of other people practicing Naturism? I don't mind, they can do whatever they want, as long as they don't interfere with others. The problem I encountered is with so-called 'normal' people who are against naturism or nudism while at the beach. But as long as the space is for naturism, they should just go to some other place if they don't like it. Human body is natural, we were born naked and we should not be ashamed of it.

What I still find weird though is seeing people nude when I don't expect it. And street movements like that... Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda View Post
    For me, "Naturism" is the way to accept the body in it´s most natural forms as "normal" and to preserve it, in contrast to plastic surgery or "artificial beauty" trough camouflage, overdosing make-up and other things that destroy natural beauty, for example.
    I guess we're in the same boat on these issues!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
    there is no reason why we should be ashamed of our bodies. [...] We weren't born dressed.
    Exactly!
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Víðálfr For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    I'm what some peoples would call "prudish", I don't like to bare my body to the public or strangers. But I've not something against nudists and nude beaches, they're just not my personal preference. Yes, the body is a very natural thing, but people's reactions to seeing a naked body are not necessarily the most courteous. Especially nowadays when there are a lot of non-Europeans in our societies, whose cultures associate nudity with the sexual, I consider it uncomfortable to bare my skin in public.

Anyway, here's some information I found interesting (from Wikipedia):

The usage and definition of these terms varies geographically and historically. Though in the United States, naturism and nudism have the same meaning, in Britain there is a clear distinction.

Nudism is the act of being naked, while naturism is a lifestyle which at various times embraced nature, environment, respect for others, self-respect, crafts, healthy eating, vegetarianism, teetotalism, non-smoking, yoga, physical exercise and pacifism as well as nudity.

In naturist parlance, textile or textilist is a non-naturist person, non-naturist behaviour or non-naturist facilities. e.g. the textile beach starts at the flag, they are a mixed couple – he is naturist, she is textile. Textile is the predominant term used in the UK ('textilist' is unknown in British naturist magazines including H&E naturist), although some naturists avoid it due to perceived negative or derogatory connotations. Textilist is said to be used interchangeably, but no dictionary definition to this effect exists, nor are there any equivalent examples of use in mainstream literature such as those for textile. Clothing optional and nude optional (US specific) describe a policy or a venue that allows or encourages nudity but tolerates the wearing of clothes. The opposite is clothing compulsory; that is, prohibiting nudity. Adjectival phrases clothes free and clothing free prescribe where naturism is permitted in an otherwise textile environment, or define the preferred state of a naturist.

The social nudity movement includes a large range of variants including "naturism", "nudism", "Freikörperkultur (FKK)", the "free beach movement" as well as generalized "public lands/public nudity" advocacy. There is a large amount of shared history and common themes, issues and philosophy, but differences between these separate movements remain contentious.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Siebenbürgerin For This Useful Post:

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I think there's several levels of naturism/nudism: one is personal, in a private, familial setting. I don't mind being naked around my partner. There isn't anything he hasn't seen. Then there's naked in a public or social setting. I don't mind being naked in a sauna, even a mixed sauna. It's normal business, nobody cares. I prefer a mixed sauna because I get to go in with my partner. Eventhough there are other men around, it's not sexual. Usually refugees and foreigners don't go in saunas (too weird or expensive for them), so I feel comfortable. A nude beach on the other hand? I'm not so sure. There are many more people, it's much more accessible. Like Siebenbürgerin, I fear that such settings will soon be frequented by voyeurs. So I'm more so-so on that. Not because I'm uncomfortable with my body, but because I wouldn't like sleazy foreigners staring. And lastly there's a nudist lifestyle with being naked most or all the time, or even living in a nudist colony. That's not really my thing.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bärin For This Useful Post:

Wild Cat
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English/German American
    Ancestry
    England and Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Cancer
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    I work at home.
    Politics
    Not a Republicrat.
    Religion
    Nondenominational Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    869 Posts
    As long as nudism (full nudity) is restricted to private property between consenting adults, I really don't care. But when acts of public 'exhibitionism' (indecent exposure of sex organs, including female breasts) occurs, it should still be considered lewd conduct resulting in arrest and prosecution... And I don't care how svelt their bodies are.
    Aside from an ever increasing number of mortals who have willfully chosen to worship Satan and his minions, our battle has always been against the powers and principalities operating surreptitiously throughout this twisted world.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gareth Lee Hunter For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Finnish Swede
    Ancestry
    Father: Swedish, Mother Finnish Swede
    Subrace
    Sub-Nordid - Nordid - Baltid mix
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Finland Swede Community Finland Swede Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Pisces
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    No specific ideology
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,312 Posts
    What this naturism means? People who want/use nudist beaches?

Ok. Sauna has HUGE role/importance/position in Finland's culture (today also among us Finnish Swedes). Yes, the right way is to go sauna naked ... families will do that together, BUT only as long as kids are small (as long as kids needs help ... safety issues ... hot sauna heater etc.). Afterwards ... sons/boys will go together, daughters/girls together and parents together. If there are some matters parents will want to talk about with their kids ... sauna is one excellent environment. By then father can go together with his son(s) or mother with hers daughter(s). If one of the parent is not present or just will not want to go sauna that time (which happens in Finland very rarely ... it goes same ways.

Common saunas?
    a.) Separate saunas for both genders (like swimming pools, hotels, huge car ferries between Sweden and Finland) ... it is often even denied that one could go to sauna with swimming suits (clorine waters in those swimming pools?). Some still do that. Mostly foreigners.

b.) Gender mixed saunas: Women will wear swimming suits and men swimming trunks. Nobody is naked in that kind of saunas.

Common saunas offers always sauna peflettis (disposable ones):
    https://findwords.info/term/pefletti

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Finnish Swede For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast