Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I tend to think of them as maintaining more of a link to Europe. The British Queen is still Head of State, so why are they not considered a Dominion? All a Dominion of the Crown needs is an oath of loyalty. I say bring back the old flag. I think sometimes perhaps it would've been better to maintain our link to the British Crown. The Canadians seem to be more cultured, but then again you have the Newfies and other paesani.
    SVMDEVSSVMCAESARSVMCAELVMETINFERNVM

Last Online
    Monday, May 2nd, 2011 @ 02:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Franco-Norman/Anglo Canadian
    Ancestry
    Normandy; North-West England
    Subrace
    Borreby-DaloFaelid/AngloSaxon
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Married, happily
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator X View Post
    I tend to think of them as maintaining more of a link to Europe. The British Queen is still Head of State, so why are they not considered a Dominion? All a Dominion of the Crown needs is an oath of loyalty. I say bring back the old flag. I think sometimes perhaps it would've been better to maintain our link to the British Crown. The Canadians seem to be more cultured, but then again you have the Newfies and other paesani.
    True enough Imperator X, we still very much have very real ties with Europe. We were called the Dominion of Canada up until a very short while ago, reflecting the more British side of our country. And we are still a constitutional monarchy and yes indeed have the Queen as our head of state. Since the sixties though political currents, as in every nation, have changed reflecting a different reality. Thus we stopped calling ourselves the Dominion of Canda, though we still are technically though less so in a manner of speaking, especially since having brought our Constitution home in the early 1980's. I'll stop there. You'll get as many varied opinions as to where our country has gone and where it is headed as you'll get individual Canadians. It's probably the same reality in your own country depending on where you come from and such considerations.

And then Quebec has had its strong ties with France too over the centuries.

lol Good one about the Newfies though...you must admit they are good sports and still more British than the lot of us, having only joined our Confederation as an official province of Canada in 1949. Yes up until then, they were the Dominion of Newfoundland, its own British colony.

The old flag? Hmm well, I prefer the one that we have now (oh I know I'll get comments from some of my compatriots on this one). But then again, I grew up in the Trudeau area.

Frith...Aemma

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 31st, 2016 @ 03:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtic
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New Jersey New Jersey
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Canada is OK!

Their country has some of the most spectacular scenery (Jasper, Banff, Mt. Robson, et cet.) in the world and many decent and hard-working people. I am discouraged by the lack of freedom of expression, as found in their government's willingness to convict, deport, or extradite people accused of "thought crimes," like David Irving or Zundel. But America is headed in the same direction, and most of Europe is just as bad, so I can't criticize the Great White North too much. You can always spot a Canadian when he tries to say "about." But overall they are great, and a constant source of good humor too!

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 @ 11:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I dislike being in Canuckistan, to be honest.

But Canuckistanis are pretty nice.
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

Omnia in bonum
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    I have a lot of family on my mother's side (who were originally from Manchester, England) in the Toronto area. My paternal grandfather's mother (whose family was English) was born somewhere in Ontario, as well. Canadians rule!

Last Online
    Sunday, May 24th, 2009 @ 06:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norway (P) + Scotland (PM) + Austria (MP + MM) + Swabia (MP) + Prussia (MM)
    Subrace
    Nordid-Atlantid and Bruenn
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Paleo-Liberalism
    Religion
    AGNOS/Athiest
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freydis View Post

What part of Canada did you go to?

The truth be known, there isn't a whole lot of Canada to see/do. There's really no culture in Canada in compared to the U.S. or Europe. I heard Montreal is a must see, though

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 @ 11:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatest View Post
    I live here. I've been to every province but the Arctic Territories, PEI and Newfoundland.

The truth be known, there isn't a whole lot of Canada to see/do. There's really no culture in Canada in compared to the U.S. or Europe. I heard Montreal is a must see, though
    Toronto (where I am) isn't a bad place to live really.

There is a whole lot of Canada (second largest country, hello?) It's not really culture so much as wildlife that is interesting.
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

Last Online
    Thursday, May 7th, 2009 @ 06:02 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Ancestry
    Franco-Norman
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Occupation
    University Student
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator X View Post
    The Canadians seem to be more cultured, but then again you have the Newfies and other paesani.
    It depends what you mean by "cultured". Seems a few in this thread accuse Canada as having less culture than the U.S. or Europe. My response would be that these individuals do not know much about Canada, nor have they traveled very much throughout Canada.

What many do not understand is that many regions of eastern Canada, in particular, have managed to preserve a great deal of European folk culture. French Canada is an obvious point, since linguistically and culturally (particularly in rural areas, not so much in urbanised areas like Montréal) much was inherited from pre-revolutionary times. However, Québec isn't the only region that has done this, nor only the Acadians of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The west coast of Newfoundland is the home of a dying French speaking population, as well as a very distinct, some might call it "archaic", French dialect hailing from Brittany. Many familiar with the Franco-Newfoundlander musician Émile Benoît will know his recording "Ça vient du Tchoeur", and probably know something of the dialect it represents. It should also be noted that the region also has its own distinct folklore, likewise stemming from Brittany. An old mentor of mine, may he rest in peace, also did quite a bit to put into writing the culture Franco-Newfoundland, and I do not think it should be so hastily bypassed as "uncultured".

Similarly the rest of Newfoundland is home to a very distinct culture that is the result of the evolution of the culture of its Irish settlers. Any inhabitant of Newfoundland will know the history behind mummering in the province, as well as its connections to pre-Christian traditions.

Canada may effectively be said to have an abundance of rural communities carrying their own unique dialects or linguistic elements (often containing vocabulary that has long since dropped out of standard English or standard French, and as such may be seen as a link to the past) and cultures (likewise containing elements that have since been forgotten or emphasized to lesser degrees in Europe).

The largely rural nature of many Canadian communities has been what has helped preserve these elements of the past. It should be remembered that a large part of cultural preservation has to do with the preservation of rural culture, whether in the "new world" or in Europe.

Just for fun, some info on the Mummers:

http://www.mirabilis.ca/archives/000420.html

And the infamous "Mummer's Song"

http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/audio...01/mummers.htm

Last Online
    Monday, May 2nd, 2011 @ 02:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Franco-Norman/Anglo Canadian
    Ancestry
    Normandy; North-West England
    Subrace
    Borreby-DaloFaelid/AngloSaxon
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Married, happily
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatest View Post

Oh geez, you don't know this country at all if this is what you're saying. Typical verbiage expected from those who've not travelled this country or lived in it. Pity though, you have no idea what you're missing.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanBlood View Post
    It depends what you mean by "cultured". Seems a few in this thread accuse Canada as having less culture than the U.S. or Europe. My response would be that these individuals do not know much about Canada, nor have they traveled very much throughout Canada.

What many do not understand is that many regions of eastern Canada, in particular, have managed to preserve a great deal of European folk culture. French Canada is an obvious point, since linguistically and culturally (particularly in rural areas, not so much in urbanised areas like Montréal) much was inherited from pre-revolutionary times. However, Québec isn't the only region that has done this, nor only the Acadians of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The west coast of Newfoundland is the home of a dying French speaking population, as well as a very distinct, some might call it "archaic", French dialect hailing from Brittany. Many familiar with the Franco-Newfoundlander musician Émile Benoît will know his recording "Ça vient du Tchoeur", and probably know something of the dialect it represents. It should also be noted that the region also has its own distinct folklore, likewise stemming from Brittany. An old mentor of mine, may he rest in peace, also did quite a bit to put into writing the culture Franco-Newfoundland, and I do not think it should be so hastily bypassed as "uncultured".

Similarly the rest of Newfoundland is home to a very distinct culture that is the result of the evolution of the culture of its Irish settlers. Any inhabitant of Newfoundland will know the history behind mummering in the province, as well as its connections to pre-Christian traditions.

Canada may effectively be said to have an abundance of rural communities carrying their own unique dialects or linguistic elements (often containing vocabulary that has long since dropped out of standard English or standard French, and as such may be seen as a link to the past) and cultures (likewise containing elements that have since been forgotten or emphasized to lesser degrees in Europe).

The largely rural nature of many Canadian communities has been what has helped preserve these elements of the past. It should be remembered that a large part of cultural preservation has to do with the preservation of rural culture, whether in the "new world" or in Europe.

Just for fun, some info on the Mummers:

http://www.mirabilis.ca/archives/000420.html

And the infamous "Mummer's Song"

http://www.wtv-zone.com/phyrst/audio...01/mummers.htm
    Awesome post NormanBlood! From one proud Canadian to another, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Freydis View Post

Oh dear Gods how I abhor the term "Canuckistan" and now am much less impressed by the term "Canuckistani(s)". We are not a Muslim state. Sharia Law is (thankfully) not practised here. Our founding cultures, both French and English, come from European Christian stock, very far from any source of Islam. I do so wish people would show a bit more respect for a Folk culture and call my country by either its rightful name or other less disturbing monicker such as the Great White North. Leave the "istans" and "istanis" for other more appropriate places please.

Frith...a somewhat disgruntled Aemma

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Hmm, I don't know much about the Canadians, but my family knows some people who immigrated to Canada and they come here on vacations. They say Canada has a wonderful landscape. I also like maple syrup. When I make pancakes with maple syrup, I say I'm making Canadian pancakes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast