Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soten View Post
    That looks like just about every Catholic mass I've ever been to. I'm not sure I understand the difference between "Traditional" Catholics and the other Catholics.
    I've never been to a Tridentine Mass, but I believe that the main obvious difference is that in the Tridentine Mass the Priest stands in front of the altar (i.e, between the people and the altar) and with his back to the people throughout the entire Mass.

In the post Vatican II Mass, which is the regular Mass, the priest stands behind the altar and faces the people. He also holds the Eucharist above his head for everyone to see after the consecration. Another difference is that in the regular Mass most of the prayers are in the local language, while the Tridentine Mass is conducted entirely in ecclesiastical Latin; as were all Catholic Masses pre Vatican II (1962-65).

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 08:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brynhild View Post
    Suicide is also considered a mortal sin in that the soul lives a limbo existence. My take on that is if you did commit suicide, you would reincarnate to address that former life issue until you've learned the lesson.
    Suicide is no longer considered a mortal sin when mental illness is involved (which is usually most of the time). In the past people who committed suicide were not granted funeral Masses or Catholic burial, so when this the Church changed their "rules" on the matter, many people who had loved ones who committed suicide in the past wanted them moved to Catholic cemeteries with proper burials.

Quote Originally Posted by Soten View Post
    That looks like just about every Catholic mass I've ever been to. I'm not sure I understand the difference between "Traditional" Catholics and the other Catholics.
    Huh. You've must not have been to many Catholic masses then..

Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    Suicide is no longer considered a mortal sin when mental illness is involved (which is usually most of the time). In the past people who committed suicide were not granted funeral Masses or Catholic burial, so when this the Church changed their "rules" on the matter, many people who had loved ones who committed suicide in the past wanted them moved to Catholic cemeteries with proper burials.
    Thanks for that clarification. As I've said in other threads, this is no longer my practise so I don't really keep up to speed in this regard.

There is one food for thought though. I believe in Euthanasia, and the person who chooses to die that way is normally of sound mind and not mentally ill. How would that situation be addressed?
    Dick Dastardly: "MUTTLEY, DO SOMETHING!!!!"
    Muttley: "Hehehehehehehehehe"

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    534 Posts
    I went to a Tridentine Mass about 17 years ago, and remember having to cover my head. That, and the Mass was entirely in Latin, of course. It was quite beautiful.

As far as Traditional Catholics go, I do know some people who attend a Tridentine Mass regularly. They're not that different, really, from other Catholics, but they don't eat meat on any Friday. That's not peculiar to me, since I grew up with a grandmother who declared anyone who dared to touch meat * on a Friday was destined for...well, you probably know where.

*Fish was acceptable.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, February 22nd, 2008 @ 12:32 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salford View Post
    I went to a Tridentine Mass about 17 years ago, and remember having to cover my head. That, and the Mass was entirely in Latin, of course. It was quite beautiful.

As far as Traditional Catholics go, I do know some people who attend a Tridentine Mass regularly. They're not that different, really, from other Catholics, but they don't eat meat on any Friday. That's not peculiar to me, since I grew up with a grandmother who declared anyone who dared to touch meat * on a Friday was destined for...well, you probably know where.
    huh? I'm not that kind of person who won't eat meat for friday (though every week on this day I have fish for dinner). But... I didn't eat meat yesterday!

I'll try to keep up this good work on as much days as I can until Lent is over. Wish me luck :p

*Fish was acceptable.
    Fish acceptable? Fish is tasty! Be careful with the words you chose.

-------------------------------------------------------

As for my faith... I don't go on masses that often. No. Sometimes... if I find time. There is a small church as part of a franciscan monastery near the place where I live, and I visit it, from time to time, to pray inside, alone, if I feel a sudden desire to do so (and this feeling is often there as it seems).

I do all this just for the sake of life's beauty. But, I will probably go to Hell. There is no other way ebing the gerat drinker and trouble maker I am

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12