@
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts

Internet Dating/Long Distance/Online Relationships

Ever been in a long distance relationship, including online relationship?

Are they real relationships?

Can they realistically last?

Do you think it's possible to love someone you haven't met in person yet? What about if you hear their voice on the phone or see them on webcam?

If you fell in love with someone online and met them in person and decided it's "true love", but they lived very far away, would you move to their country?

If your spouse had to move to another country very far away, would you follow them?

If your spouse had to go to prison for some years, would you wait for them? What about if they got life, would you remain by their side?

Should long distance/online relationships follow the same rules as other relationships? i.e. no dating/sex with other people?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Nothing besides some occasional flirting, at least from my point of view.
    If in the definition of long distance we can include a boyfriend that served his army service, then yes. But even that didn't last.

It's not very easy to define what is "real" and what is not.
    However, speaking for myself, I don't think of them as actual relationships.

Not unless the two people plan on meeting in person, and soon. What's the point of a 'lasting' relationship if you're never going to meet?

Do you think it's possible to love someone you haven't met in person yet? What about if you hear their voice on the phone or see them on webcam?

No, I don't think so.
    I think it is possible to be excited, aroused, and engage into a lot of fantasizing and self-deception about what the other person is like.
    But until you meet him/her, your image of that person is an idealized, and not an actual one.

If you fell in love with someone online and met them in person and decided it's "true love", but they lived very far away, would you move to their country?

If it's practically possible and it's what we both want, then surely!

If your spouse had to move to another country very far away, would you follow them?

Tough choice, a close friend of mine has to make the exact same one as we speak.
    Depending on the country, I most probably would.
    In fact, if it was a more civilized country than Greece, I would be probably be the one to propose the relocation

If your spouse had to go to prison for some years, would you wait for them? What about if they got life, would you remain by their side?

I don't know. I guess not.
    I'd let them know I am there for them as a friend, but I would move on with my life. Unless I had children with them already, or..who knows.

Should long distance/online relationships follow the same rules as other relationships? i.e. no dating/sex with other people?

It depends on the case and how "seriously" you "commit" to someone you've met online. I don't even consider them relationships and I wouldn't lead someone to believe that either.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Never been in an online relationship and wouldn't like being in one. But if my hubby had to move, I'd follow him. If he went to prison I'd wait for him. Love's for better or worse, not just for better.

Last Online
    Thursday, August 27th, 2009 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    Scottish, Alsatian
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes, met online and I'm still in it.

Unless it's an RPG thing and both people take it seriously, it could be a real emotional relationship, until the two people meet each other.

Once again, depends on how serious and devoted people are, but like Blaxis said, no point if you're never going to meet.

Yes, but when you haven't met them you kind of love an idea of them, since you don't have a physical being to associate that person with. Phones and webcams can help. When you're mostly using the phone to talk to each other then you could just stretch and call it a long distance relationship.

As long as I was sure. I've met the person I'm in a relationship and I'd be happy to live with him.

Yes

That would depend on how I felt about them knowing they were possible of committing a crime that got them sent to jail.

Yes, but not all relationships in "real" life follow those rules either.

Oddly enough, I'm not an internet nerd, just to put it out there.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Yes I have. It was sort of fun. And I thought I was "in love".

Yes

It depends, there is somebody out there for everybody.:o

What if it's an "open" relationship?

Last Online
    Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Long distance, yes. Online? Not since like 6th grade or something.

Long distance ones are, in my opinion. Online relationships are to a degree, I suppose, but not really.

Of course, they probably last a lot longer in most cases. Online, people can lie about who they are and what they do and be totally perfect people. Who doesn't love perfect people? Long distance relationships, I have found to be good at times, because the other person doesn't have the TIME to irritate you so much, and when you do have time together it is usually used better and in a more meaningful way. Constant phone calls or internet messages can be nagging, though.

Do you think it's possible to love someone you haven't met in person yet?
    Not really. You can have a crush on them and enjoy your perception of their personality and appearance, but I don't think you could love them.

What about if you hear their voice on the phone or see them on webcam?
    More likely that you could have a substantial crush, but still, I don't think there could be love.

No. If he wasn't in CT and refused to move to CT and I thought he was worth it to move (it would take a LOT), I'd only bother moving if he were in a bordering state or the midwest and if he lived in a suitable area (IE, not NYC, although upstate NY would be OK.).

Depends what you mean. If it's all ready long distance, what's more distance? Slightly different cost to plane tickets. I can only imagine a guy I'm interested in moving for his career (military included). I think that would have to at least consider his preference in the matter, although I'd prefer to keep my domestic affairs domestic.

I don't think I could deal with a long distance "marriage". He'd have to be with me at least half of the time.

Lol. Well. I've had to have this conversation with at least one guy before. If I were married to this person, I would wait for them if we had children. If we didn't, it depends upon the sentencing and how I feel about what he did. If he got life, I would stick with him if I thought what he did was honorable or if we had children, I would ditch him like dead weight if I thought what he did was stupid or we had no children.

I also wouldn't write or send money if I thought the offense were stupid. I'd only visit if I needed to in order to let the kids see their father.

To be discussed by the people in them.

I MIGHT be okay with a guy having sex with other women so long as I knew about it and trusted him to be clean. But, given my current relationship methods (As in, not having sex.), I don't think it would be appropriate for him to have sex. He wouldn't be getting it on a if we were close, so it shouldn't be an added "need" when we are apart. To the extent of my knowledge, my ex didn't cheat while we were apart. He still thinks I did. Like a billion times. eyes:
    Polygamy: it might not be for you, but what right do you have to keep it from me?

Senior Member Soldier of Wodann's Avatar
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well, I didn't technically have an online relationship, but most of the time I spend talking with the girl involved was on the internets, so that sort of counts I guess. I was more at ease talking to her on MSN than in real life though, which is probably the case often enough. And no, it wasn't a real relationship TBH, just due to that fact.

We are born to fight and to die and to continue the Flow
    The Flow of our People

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

Last Online
    Monday, April 4th, 2016 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Istigkeit View Post
    Unless it's an RPG thing
    What place do rocket-propelled grenades have in a relationship anyway?
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 @ 11:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    What place do rocket-propelled grenades have in a relationship anyway?
    Well to be honest I thought they were in every relationship..
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

Last Online
    Monday, July 19th, 2010 @ 10:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No

Who cares

Who cares

Who cares

No unless it is better

No unless it is better

Probably not

Who cares

Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast