United States United States
    State
    Florida Florida
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    What place do rocket-propelled grenades have in a relationship anyway?
    I personally found it very romantic when my boyfriend gave me a box of live ammunition when I met him at the airport. Bullets don't like melt easily like useless chocolate.

Naturbursche
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 @ 11:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Ever been in a long distance relationship, including online relationship?
    Depends what you mean by "long distance". The longest Distance was 2-3 hours by car. But no Online-Relationship.

Are they real relationships?
    Sure if you meet the Person, at least every now and then and not too less - but that's a Question of Definition.

Can they realistically last?
    I think it stops when you want to marry. I never heard of a Couple living far away from eachother but are married.

Do you think it's possible to love someone you haven't met in person yet? What about if you hear their voice on the phone or see them on webcam?
    It's impossible to "love" someone you havn't met in Reality yet. People who say that they do, mostly suffer from Low Self-Esteem and therefor imagine out of their own problems to have feelings and finally found the love online, because they failed to fall in love when they met someone.

If you fell in love with someone online and met them in person and decided it's "true love", but they lived very far away, would you move to their country?
    Since falling in Love online is nothing that can happen, or only happens to very weak people with Delusions - Let's say i would get a Woman to know online and decide to meet her, and then i would fall in love with after spending a few days with her - i still would never leave my country, i would feel on the wrong place and not comfortable.

Should long distance/online relationships follow the same rules as other relationships? i.e. no dating/sex with other people?
    Distance Relationships of course, because you met your partner and therefor you have a responsibility, morality and feelings.

Online-Relationships are nothing i consider serious, so i don't care. But i also would never have one, because it's stupid.

Gruß,
    Boche
    "We Germans fear God, but nothing else in the world; and already that godliness is it, which let us love and foster peace."
    - Otto von Bismarck, 1888

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 5th, 2016 @ 12:13 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Istigkeit View Post
    Bullets don't like melt easily like useless chocolate.
    They do - if you're really hot.

By now I realized that you referred to role-playing games. Being an old fart I am really only familiar with the offline Dungeons & Dragons and Call Of Cthulhu stuff. my role-playing on the computer ended with Ultima II and King's Quest, I'm afraid. On the other hand I am an expert as far as rocket-propelled grenades are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Boche View Post
    Depends what you mean by "long distance". The longest Distance was 2-3 hours by car.
    So that's "long distance"? In my case I'd consider 2-3 hrs a "long term" relationship.
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Odin
    Long distance yes, online relationships no, they're just fantasies.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 @ 01:03 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Care to elaborate? Last I checked there's real people at either end of the relationship.

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    It's not a relationship if you haven't met the person, in my opinion, though some stalkers of mine have had a distinctly different opinion.

I do think the internet is an excellent tool for meeting compatible people with similar goals in life and expanding your range beyond people you would meet in your geographic area by chance. You can also do much better 'screening', talking to people and getting to know them before you meet them. Even when someone I know in real life is trying to hook me up with someone, it is much better if I can see the writings of said person and see who they are and what they are about than agreeing to be set up on a total 'blind date'.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 11:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think it just depends with online, all the sites they offer are probably hard for some to resist. They say on e harmony so many people have met & fell in love.

With that said, I think there is a possibility to meet someone & actually like them, it may be far & few but its obviously possible because it has happened.

I think if to serious individuals use that as a way to meet then it may end up just as a normal relationship, either working out or not working out.

I also think that women should be careful because men online will con them into believing things that just aren't true/men also, seeing there are some witches out there! :p

With long distance relationships where they new each other not VIA internet, the internet can come in handy for communicating.

All in all, no matter what kind of relationship, it can work if the 2 people really want it to.
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Last Online
    Sunday, January 4th, 2009 @ 05:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Scandinavia
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    State
    Hedmark Hedmark
    Family
    Having a longtime compani
    Occupation
    I'm a parasite, I sell stuff.
    Politics
    Man marks the Earth with ruin.
    Religion
    Nature shall prevail!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I met my current girlfriend over the net, and we have been together for a long while.
    We are about to move together, so yeah, pretty real.
    I sure hope so!
    Do you think it's possible to love someone you haven't met in person yet? What about if you hear their voice on the phone or see them on webcam?

It is possible to love someone you haven't met, it is as said before in this thread. But it happened to me once, and I sincerely LOVED that girl, and when we finally met, I was shocked, for she was even more beautiful and perfect than I thought. Yet, she completely dumped me and broke my hear. So, I guess I didn't impress her much
    (We do remain as best friends though)
    If you fell in love with someone online and met them in person and decided it's "true love", but they lived very far away, would you move to their country?
    Well, my girlfriend lives about 7 hours with train away from me, so yeah, sure. I will move to her area, since she have to finish school.
    If your spouse had to move to another country very far away, would you follow them?
    As long it is in europe
    If your spouse had to go to prison for some years, would you wait for them? What about if they got life, would you remain by their side?
    Yes, no doubt about it.
    Should long distance/online relationships follow the same rules as other relationships? i.e. no dating/sex with other people?

I'm not sure about that, I guess it's individual.
    Now, I talked with a friend of mine which is a sexologian(Or however it is spelled in English) and she said I am Asexual (Nothing turns me on, so to speak) So no problem for me.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    -
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    I think an "online relationship" turns into a "long distance (or real life) relationship" if after meeting in real life the relationship continues. I'd imagine that for many "online couples", meeting would swiftly shatter all illusions in a negative way and the "relationship" would be over. For those who find that they really do love the person, (presumptions or illusions may still be shattered, but not necessarily in a negative way) the internet has just served as a useful tool to find love and a compatible partner. And thereafter, the internet can continue to be a useful tool for the long distance couple to remain in close communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword of the Vistula
    You can also do much better 'screening', talking to people and getting to know them before you meet them.
    I agree wholeheartedly.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, March 23rd, 2008 @ 01:03 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    I think an "online relationship" turns into a "long distance (or real life) relationship" if after meeting in real life the relationship continues. I'd imagine that for many "online couples", meeting would swiftly shatter all illusions in a negative way and the "relationship" would be over. For those who find that they really do love the person, (presumptions or illusions may still be shattered, but not necessarily in a negative way) the internet has just served as a useful tool to find love and a compatible partner. And thereafter, the internet can continue to be a useful tool for the long distance couple to remain in close communication.
    Indeed, the transition from internet to real life was so easy with my partner. The only thing that really surprised me how short she was (even though I knew beforehand, photos don't give a great perception of these things).

I am currently in a long distance relationship after first meeting her online and then in real life. Just in the process of saving up so she can be with me.

Depends. I think people can just have flings and flirt and mess around on the internet, but if both people are emotionally connected and completely dedicated to each other then they are very real.

All relationships can fail, I wouldn't be surprised if ones met over the internet on average lasted longer then relationships from real life though.

It is, but emotional and physical love are two different things, and it's best to have both. Phone and webcam can make you feel closer, but it's not the same as the real thing.

It would depends on the circumstance, if I wasn't under any obligations then it wouldn't be a problem, otherwise it would have to wait or my partner would have to compromise.

If your spouse had to move to another country very far away, would you follow them?
    As above.

If your spouse had to go to prison for some years, would you wait for them? What about if they got life, would you remain by their side?
    As long as no funny business occurs in jail

Depends on the level of commitment on both sides.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast