Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    My instinct is to befriend bullies / people bigger than me.

I disagree with all harassment laws, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Last Online
    Saturday, June 28th, 2008 @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEnglishNorman View Post
    My instinct is to befriend bullies / people bigger than me.

I disagree with all harassment laws, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
    You think they should just kill themselves because someone won't stop being a jerk to them? People should be allowed to punish jerks, otherwise there is no incentive for them to stop acting that way. Sure maybe people should be able to handle it, but at some point people need to learn that there are repercussions for their actions.
    A* I’m a dreadful reactionary, Mrs. Helena. I don’t like this progress one bit.
    H* Like Nana.
    A* Yes, like Nana. Does Nana have a prayer book?
    H* A big fat one.
    A* And are there prayers in it for various occurrences in life? Against storms? Against illness?
    H* Against temptation, against floods -
    A* But not against progress, I suppose?
    H* > I think not.
    A* That’s a shame.

Account Disabled on Request

Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 03:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sophia View Post
    You think they should just kill themselves because someone won't stop being a jerk to them? People should be allowed to punish jerks, otherwise there is no incentive for them to stop acting that way. Sure maybe people should be able to handle it, but at some point people need to learn that there are repercussions for their actions.
    Repercussion is the a-hole boss losing staff because he mistreats them, or having a less productive working environment because he does not stamp out bullying. Existing as a jerk is surely punishment enough for their non-violent, non-invasive crime.

But beyond those extremes, a little jesting and bullying is perfectly healthy.

Ultimately, better manners can not come top down via harassment legislation. It is the negation of the "nanny state" which will produce a more civilised society.

Last Online
    Saturday, June 28th, 2008 @ 03:31 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEnglishNorman View Post
    Repercussion is the a-hole boss losing staff because he mistreats them, or having a less productive working environment because he does not stamp out bullying. Existing as a jerk is surely punishment enough for their non-violent, non-invasive crime.

But beyond those extremes, a little jesting and bullying is perfectly healthy.

Ultimately, better manners can not come top down via harassment legislation. It is the negation of the "nanny state" which will produce a more civilised society.
    Yeah but what about kids who break up your bins and spread the rubbish all over the street, or crank call at all hours of the night, or follow you down the street making lewd remarks. As I said, I'd prefer that I personally can teach them a lesson, but if I can't I sure don't want a situation where if I give them a clip round the ear I get in trouble but if they keep throwing my rubbish everywhere nothing happens to them.
    A* I’m a dreadful reactionary, Mrs. Helena. I don’t like this progress one bit.
    H* Like Nana.
    A* Yes, like Nana. Does Nana have a prayer book?
    H* A big fat one.
    A* And are there prayers in it for various occurrences in life? Against storms? Against illness?
    H* Against temptation, against floods -
    A* But not against progress, I suppose?
    H* > I think not.
    A* That’s a shame.

Account Disabled on Request

Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 03:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sophia View Post
    Yeah but what about kids who break up your bins and spread the rubbish all over the street, or crank call at all hours of the night, or follow you down the street making lewd remarks. As I said, I'd prefer that I personally can teach them a lesson, but if I can't I sure don't want a situation where if I give them a clip round the ear I get in trouble but if they keep throwing my rubbish everywhere nothing happens to them.
    You're just a feeble woman they wouldn't take any notice of you anyway :p

Seriously, what you described there is the job of parents to keep their offspring in line. As I said, if we want better behaviour then it takes a long time to turn around the ship. That involves dismantling the nanny state, giving responsibility back to people. There needs to be an "overall feeling" that the government is not there to pick up the ball very time. People need to get used to relying on their friends, family, church, other local networks.

That is the basis of civilised society, Edmund Burke's "little platoons". Local and national hierarchies, respect for authority, respect given to those who exhibit good decision-making and respect withdrawn from those who fail.

Last Online
    Saturday, June 14th, 2008 @ 02:40 PM
    Subrace
    Baltid+Brunn+Atlantid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Disoriented
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    bullying and the like are not something unique to america (here i am thinking of hundreds of young men who are seriously injured or even killed in the russian army due to bullying/"initiation"-like practices), and i think these are natural phenomena.
    i have never witnessed or taken part in physical bullying (and i think that is horrible and should be punished as any other assault), but i know that when i was in younger grades there was a lot of verbal/psychological abuse (at least among the girls). having a common enemy helped make us a tighter community. life is not fair and no one is going to look out for the weak ones in the real world, they might as well get a taste of what's to come early on, so they know what awaits...

Those at the unversities with above-average intelligence are almost exclusively Asian.
    riiiight...those with above-average grades are mostly asian, but that is hardly true for intelligence. a lot of the asians i know (and that's a hell of a lot) are just book-smart. a lot of them spend hours memorizing proofs that are obvious to anyone with at least a bit of common sense and could not create anything original to save their lives.

also, looking at the student population where i study, the proportion of people of european heritage to asians is highest in honours programs.

may be that's just here, but somehow i doubt it...

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, July 31st, 2020 @ 02:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    There is someone who is currently harrassing me. I believe the most appropriate way to treat harrassment is by ignoring it.

Die Sonne scheint noch.

Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    I have encountered ivy league exchange students (even had to play tutor for them for a while) who never would have been able to graduate high school here.
    The 'ivy leagues' here are more of a hereditary class distinction than an intellectual one. The public universities are mediocre, most of the private ones are semi-decent, theres not much difference between the private ones. The 'ivy league' distinction is mainly a sign of 'upper class' (often jewish) status, which can help them get a job from other 'ivy league' graduates, but does not really signify an education superior to other private universities. Also, it is usually the lower skilled/mediocre students who study abroad, the more serious students don't do such things.

Back on the original subject, bullying/harassment is an unfortunate part of school and growing up, but most/all of the 'solutions' are worse than the cure. I don't hold any sort of moral sanction against the Columbine shooters and other such, but if people take the long term view such actions are unnecessary, because once you get past high school all that crap fades away rather quickly.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Well, my friends and I are quite virulent in our bullying/mockery/berating of people we don't like (with good reason IMO) and to each other even, and due to this we tend not to ever be overly offended by what people say about us much, thus giving us a more level head and stable emotional ground (which is better for planning revenge for the aforementioned offense ). I think it does build character, and once one gets used to it one can distinguish shit-talk from an actual threat, and react accordingly.

We are born to fight and to die and to continue the Flow
    The Flow of our People

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Everyone has a right to Harrass someone else. It's a basic human right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast