Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Strawberry Shortcake VS. Dora the Explorer

Dora the Explorer is an animated television series that is carried on the Nickelodeon cable television network. A pilot episode for the series aired in 1999, and Dora the Explorer became a regular series in 2000. The show was created by Chris Gifford, Valerie Walsh, and Eric Weiner. The series also airs on Noggin. The show aired on CBS until September of 2006.

Dora the Explorer has been extremely successful, including $1 billion in sales in 2004 alone.

Strawberry Shortcake is a licensed character owned by American Greetings, originally used in greeting cards and expanded to include dolls, posters, and other products. The Strawberry Shortcake properties also include a toy line of the character's friends and pets.
    I thought this could be a good/fun topic for all the moms are whoever has an opinion. I have a 3 year old daughter who loves both Strawberry Shortcake & Dora,but of coarse we see Dora all the time & very little of Shortcake.

I do realize in the world today it is good to learn & speak many languages but why in the US are we spending so much money on Dora the Mexican? I can't even go down the soup isle in the grocery store with out seeing Dora Soup,where is Strawberry Shortcake Soup?
    Strawberry Shortcake teaches good things,Dora teaches as well but what is it really saying? Or is it saying nothing at all? Do you let your children watch Dora? Or would you when you have children?
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 08:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well, to be honest, I wouldn't let my child watch many cartoons regardless of how great (or horrible) the content was. There is an obvious preference for Strawberry Shortcake, but books win out over both by a landslide.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    Well, to be honest, I wouldn't let my child watch many cartoons regardless of how great (or horrible) the content was. There is an obvious preference for Strawberry Shortcake, but books win out over both by a landslide.
    Books are great & in some ways better than any cartoon but I can tell you with a 3 yr old & a 6 yr old good luck fighting them off the cartoons & silly shows they will want to watch
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I vote for Pippi! My favorite character when I was a kid.

Dora is not too bad. She goes around helping others.The adverising is just overwhelming so I have weaned my four year old from it but she still wants a Dora book from the library occasionaly.

I have not seen much strawberry shortcake so I cannot say what I think of her now.

I recomend signing time for videos. Lots of songs and learning ASL is a good thing. These are the one of the only videos we have bought for her. We gave her School house Rock as well.

Reading rainbow is anothergood choice. Some libraries have packs with the episode and the books that are covered.

We do very little screen time for my daughter and even a 30 minute library video is a reward for good behavior. Occasionaly one is nessasary for me to finish dinner but usually I can let her 'help' or have her playwith her toys.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, October 1st, 2010 @ 11:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I would not want my little girl idolizing some Mexican and learning Spanish no matter if she is just a cartoon. What's upsetting is most parents view the show as innocent and educational, but this is the wrong kind of education because it preaches diversity. I do not want my children learning Spanish because of the Mexican invasion, nor do I want them admiring Mexican hat dances and fiestas. Considering the problems the U.S. has with Mexican culture and immigration flooding our states as well as the official language battle, the effects of this show are not harmless. Call me paranoid, but I hate Dora the Explorer. I'll take Strawberry Shortcake over that any day.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    lady bright brought up Pippi Longstocking (spelling?) anyways,I hadn't thought about her in soooo long!

I wanted to also point out I do think Strawberry Shortcake shows quality learning,& also many others do also,or are harmless,such as Tom & Jerry,Smurfs,I just used Strawberry Shortcake as an example of the good*
    although she is the cutest to me...

PBS does have quality shows for learning too as ladybright mentioned.
    Blues Clues was good for learning in my opinion for children but it was annoying after a while ( for me anyway )

I'd also have to agree with Deary,people do view it as harmless but I don't in the sense of not that I want her to HATE Dora or Mexicans,but that I am afraid she will admire it,and in the long run bringing home a Mexican boyfriend 10 years later... & I don't agree that it is thrown at her & other children,the examples above should be seen as much or more than Dora.

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Hans Christian Anderson is another choice I like. (and germanic too.Double plus good.)There are many video adaptations, some of which are great.

Puppetshows are a favorite of mine. Live is best but videos are not bad. One of my uncles was a puppeteer for 25 years.

I think that Maya & Miguel is something that has little redeamimg value. Learning other languges is all to the good but Dora teaches individual words not enough to communicate. I agree about being tired of hearing it and Blue's clues. I just like the girl rescuing instead of being rescued for a change.

The show Fred Penners place is a great Canadian kids show. I really like the appreciation of nature in it. I have seen it in some video stores and libraries.
    The Koala Brothers is a pretty decent austrailian show.

Lyric Language videos are pretty good. They have a number of european languages and my daughter loves singing along.

I know that some people will not like Reading Rainbow because the host is a black man. I think that it is not a problem. Even if there are no blacks or minorites in your neighborhood your kids need to be able to deal with different racrs when they grow up.

Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm sorry but I can't make comparisons between the two, as none of my kids ever watched them or read them (they were long past Dora when she came along anyway).

My kids grew up watching and reading Sesame Street (a very educational tool at the time), Disney shows etc. Gumby was an all-time favourite with them also. I'm a big kid at heart so I love all the old cartoons by Warner Bros. and Hanna/Barbera.

For Mischak. I agree with Mrs Lyfing on this, and 2 of my kids are teenagers now. TV and videos are great on wet days and especially around "Witching Hour" - otherwise known as dinner time!
    Dick Dastardly: "MUTTLEY, DO SOMETHING!!!!"
    Muttley: "Hehehehehehehehehe"

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 @ 11:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I wouldn't really want my children watching too much telly until the age of about 4 or 5. Then maybe they could watch some Postman Pat or Thomas the Tank Engine.

To be honest, I don't see gaining language skills from Dora. I watched a few episodes on some occassions and didn't find it particularly educational. However, I would have absolutely nothing against my children learning another language, be it Spanish, Chinese, Russian, German, French, or whatever.
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss