Thread: Parted-at-birth twins 'married'

Last Online
    Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 @ 06:33 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Parted-at-birth twins 'married'

A pair of twins who were adopted by separate families as babies got married without knowing they were brother and sister, a peer told the House of Lords.

The peer - who heard of the case from a judge who was involved - said the twins felt an "inevitable attraction".

He said the case showed how important it was for children to be able to find out about their biological parents.

Details of the identities of the twins involved have been kept secret, but Lord Alton said the pair did not realise they were related until after their marriage.

"If you start trying to conceal someone's identity, sooner or later the truth will out," he said.

"And if you don't know you are biologically related to someone, you may become attracted to them and tragedies like this may occur."

Pam Hodgkins, chief executive officer of the charity Adults Affected by Adoption (NORCAP) said there had been previous cases of separated siblings being attracted to each other.

"We have a resistance, a very strong incest taboo where we are aware that someone is a biological relative," she said.

"But when we are unaware of that relationship, we are naturally drawn to people who are quite similar to ourselves.

Continues:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7182817.stm

Last Online
    Thursday, May 13th, 2010 @ 01:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Extraterrestrial
    Ancestry
    Germany/Saxons
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Lower Saxony Lower Saxony
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Isn't there usually an evolutionary mechanism preventing that based on pheromones? I remember reading that the pheromone receptors in our noses naturally find the pheromones turning off sexually seen. Maybe it's to blame on the usage of deodorants and perfumes that people do not smell those important factors anymore. However, I wonder about the future fate of that couple. Will the marriage be reversed legally? If yes, who will pay for this?
    Ceterum censeo Iudaeam esse delendam.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Every year an estimated 30,000 children are born in this country to mothers who have been artificially inseminated with
    sperm from an anonymous donor. Most of these children grow up never knowing their biological father — but now, with
    the help of sperm bank records and the Internet, some of them are finding half-brothers and half-sisters they never knew
    they had, who were sired by the same anonymous donor, forging family ties they never knew existed.
    Wade Anderson is a pioneer of sorts, an unwitting participant in an unanticipated drama. He was conceived four years ago
    with the help of an anonymous sperm donor, a man that neither he nor his mother, Robin, have ever met.
    Robin and her partner, Cindy Brisco, had been together for 15 years when they decided they wanted a child; they went
    to a San Diego sperm bank, looked through a donor catalog, and paid $320 for two vials from a man identified only as
    donor "48QAH."
    Asked what she was looking for in a donor, Robin Anderson says: "What was important to me, was heart.That the donor
    had heart. And I didn’t know how we were gonna find that."
    They knew from 48QAH's profile that he was a doctor, one of many who have helped defray the cost of medical school
    by donating sperm. He described himself as 6 feet 4, 190 pound with brown hair and green eyes and an interest in caring
    for critically ill children.
    "And I thought, this is a sensitive man," Cindy says. "I like this. I like the way this feels.This guy's gotta be deep."
    As it turned out, 48QAH proved to be a popular choice. At a party last summer, Robin was introduced to a single
    mother named Maren, who said she had conceived her daughter, Lila, after a visit to the Fertility Center of California.
    "And just then, Cindy walked up.And she said, 'Oh, that's where we went.What donor number did you use?' " Robin recalls.
    Cindy told her they had used 48QAH.
    "And she said, very calmly, 'That's it.' And we're like, 'What?' " Robin says.
    In that moment, the three women realized that this was more than a just a coincidence. Their two children were halfbrother
    and half-sister.
    "And to think that this baby girl was his half-sibling," says Robin.
    Cindy and Robin say they really consider Wade and Lila to be brother and sister.
    "They have each other.They don't have the donor, the father; they have each other,"
    http://cryobank.com/documents/DonorSiblings.pdf

Just like everything in life there will be the good & the bad. As the examples show people using sperm donors are taking a risk where the outcome could be a disaster,(brother & sister marring) or except able as this story. I do worry of incest for these people though,that outcome would be well just not right,we all know if you look up incest there are many "wrongs" that could occur.
    I think life shows some will do anything to have their own children,that concept I can not bash.

I am a twin, we were fraternal twins, sisters, I was born in 1981 so for my mother there were no ultrasounds,my mother was pregnant with twins & didn't even know it. Anyway, we were born,I was fine & healthy...she was not. Her brain never developed. She lived to be 4 months & is buried in Texas,we left there soon after & never returned,I plan to go one day,sit & talk with her,maybe its just a grave with some bones but its still all I have. I have always wondered if us spending 9 months together in the womb didn't create this lonely feeling & curiosity I have for her & why that happened & of coarse pondering over the fact it could have been me ...why not me? why her?
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Last Online
    Thursday, July 28th, 2011 @ 07:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Saxon & Swedish
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't believe marrying your brother/sister is right, but I don't see anything wrong with marrying your cousin. It's legal, and the amount of unique genetic material you share is typically very small. After all - a third or fourth cousin is, on average, no more genetically similar to you, than a person picked at random from the population at large.

What I mean is, I probably wouldn't advise it, but neither would I condemn people who marry their cousins.

Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Did this couple have children, or just marry? The consequences are terrible enough, without adding that to the equation.
    Dick Dastardly: "MUTTLEY, DO SOMETHING!!!!"
    Muttley: "Hehehehehehehehehe"

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Last Online
    Sunday, June 24th, 2012 @ 05:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    British Isles, Germany, Sweden
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Arizona Arizona
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Software Engineer
    Politics
    Nationalism
    Religion
    irreligious
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Isn't there usually an evolutionary mechanism preventing that based on pheromones? I remember reading that the pheromone receptors in our noses naturally find the pheromones turning off sexually seen. Maybe it's to blame on the usage of deodorants and perfumes that people do not smell those important factors anymore. However, I wonder about the future fate of that couple. Will the marriage be reversed legally? If yes, who will pay for this?
    No, no. I remember reading a study a while back that said what keeps siblings apart is not the genetic closeness but the fact that they usually grow up in the same household and are cared for by the same mother. This somehow turns off any attraction between siblings.