View Poll Results: Ever had an allergy?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never had any allergies.

12 30.77%
  • I used to have a common allergy, but got over it.

8 20.51%
  • I used to have an uncommon allergy, but got over it.

1 2.56%
  • I currently have a common allergy.

19 48.72%
  • I currently have an uncommon allergy.

2 5.13%
  • I'm not sure if I have any allergies.

1 2.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Do You Have Any Allergies?

Eikþyrnir
    I have no allergies, probably because of rough childhood. I was courious and got sick a lot when I was young. I believe these experiences strengthened immune system and is the reason I get rarely sick in adulthood. I have no allergies but I make up for it in near-sightedness, my bane of existance.

:

Last Online
    Monday, July 11th, 2005 @ 12:27 AM
    Occupation
    Stay-at-home mother
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmocreator
    That's a subject I've been meaning to bring up. I'm not allergic to peanuts and when I was growing up I never heard about anyone being allergic to them. I wonder if peanut allergies have a racial origin? It seems so common in schools these days.
    Could be a racial origin. I do know that when we took him to the ER 2 weeks ago the doctor on duty was telling us how allergies are becoming more and more common among infants. He was saying how about 2/3 of the children they see at the hospital are allergic to latex. Heck..I never heard of food allergies growing up either. I blame it on the hormones they use to grow and preserve food. He never had a problem eating anything with wheat in it and all of the sudden he was getting yeast infections from wheat.

Samantha
    www.w-a-u.net

Last Online
    Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Do You Have Any Allergies?

• Do you have any allergies?
    • Is it a common (laytex, pollen, dander, bolded ingredients: nuts, fish, dairy, eggs, wheat, soy...) or uncommon (apples, chicken, tomatoes, etc.)?
    • When was it discovered that you had the allergy?
    • Did you discover this in a medically sound way (an allergy test) or because of a reaction?
    • Have do you think you'll ever outgrow your allergy?
    • Do you suspect that you might have an allergy you are unaware of at the point?
    • Why do you think you have allergies?
    • Why do you think people have allergies in general?
    • Do you tend to think of people with allergies more as having "special dietary/living needs" or having an actual disease?
    • What's one thing you don't know how you'd live if you were allergic to? (alcohol, chocolate...)
    • Would it make your life easier to be allergic to anything? (alcohol, chocolate...)
    • Do you consider allergies as having any genetic significance?
    • Would you marry and reproduce with someone who had an allergy, how severe and of what would be the maximum you would tolerate?
    • Do you believe the theory that the reason young Americans have the most allergies, proportionately speaking, is because our countrymen have such an obsession with cleanliness, therefore never strengthening our immunities? (IE, alcohol-based hand sanitizer, parents who flip out over the "5-second rule", so on...)
    Polygamy: it might not be for you, but what right do you have to keep it from me?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Hereditary Atopic dermatitis

I discovered it when I was 15 or something. My dermatologist diagnosed it is a hereditary manifestation of my father's asthma gene. So it could be worse. I could have had asthma instead :p

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I have a common allergy. I'm allergic to dust, if I'm in a dusty environment for very long, I get wheezy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Axis View Post
    Hereditary Atopic dermatitis
    I used to have a touch of that on my shoulders, I had it through-out my teens and most of my twenties but it seems to have gone away on it's own.

I consider that a rare stroke of good luck, once one pasts the age of about twenty one can rest assured that most changes in the body will be for the worse not the better...

Last Online
    Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I thought of this thread when I was having a snack earlier. I was having peanut butter for the first time in probably 3 years. Reminded me that something like 80 kids at our school are allergic to peanut butter. Then there is one kid with a laytex allergy, tons of kids allergic to soy, wheat, eggs, dairy, shellfish, so on. One guy I know was allergic to chicken for most of his childhood. Made me think back to an article I read about allergy theories and made me wonder why nobody in our family has ever had an allergy that we knew of.

What I do have, though, are a series of "sensitivities" that people often mistake as allergies. Most people would be sensitive to the same things I am sensitive to if they hadn't been ingesting them on a regular basis for years and years. Doctors opt to refer to them as "sensitivities" rather than allergies, as they are toxic substances that most people take in daily.

I'm very "clean" in terms of consumption. People who know how I live often compare me to the guy in "Supersize Me", although I'm not that strict in a lot of ways, but am more strict in some. I drink, cook and clean with filtered water, I use (aluminum free) salt deodorant, I don't have a microwave, I only use seasalt, don't drink from cans or plastic bottles, consume over 90% organic food, so on. A lot of people regard it as freaky and unnecessary, but it's quite normal to me at this point.

So, if I do have packaged food or other "normal" things, I often get uncontrollably sick. One time I had a piece of normal store brand bacon. I was gagging and severely dehydrated in moments. My mom thought I was allergic to pig meat. I'm really just so sensitive to the nitrates and nitrites in bacon that my body does feel like it is being toxified if I have even a little bit. I'm also very sensitive to chlorine in water. If I drink chlorinated water I spit up almost instantly, without any conscious thought about it. If I'm in a pool with a "normal" level of chlorine my skin will feel like it's on fire. Similarly, if I have toothpaste in my mouth that contains fluoride, I will start to gag and spit up. I'm not even going to talk about what McDonald's can do. I've learned that it is better for me not to even go near one.

So, really, I don't have allergies, but my body has relearned to view certain toxins as, you know, toxic. It's kind of interesting.
    Polygamy: it might not be for you, but what right do you have to keep it from me?

Senior Member Soldier of Wodann's Avatar
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Cats and Pollen. Pretty common, and the pollen isn't as bad as it used to be (I actually didn't even have it as a child, and only started having it when I moved to the U.S. . Oddly enough, most of my friends who have cats also happen to be partially allergic to them. I think cats are the problem here, not me. Bastards.

We are born to fight and to die and to continue the Flow
    The Flow of our People

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

Last Online
    Saturday, June 14th, 2008 @ 02:40 PM
    Subrace
    Baltid+Brunn+Atlantid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Disoriented
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i had severe eczema (which is not really an allergy) when i was a child. i've pretty much outgrown it though, now i just have sensitive skin

i'm allergic to common allergens like ragweed, dandelion, and some grassess and less common things like sunflower and celery.

thedandelion and grass ones were discovered by a test and the other ones through (very unpleasant) expriences and confirmed by a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Next World View Post
    [*]Do you believe the theory that the reason young Americans have the most allergies, proportionately speaking, is because our countrymen have such an obsession with cleanliness, therefore never strengthening our immunities? (IE, alcohol-based hand sanitizer, parents who flip out over the "5-second rule", so on...)
    considering that allergies are due to excessive immune response (i.e. the immune system reacts to sustances it shouldn't be reacting to) i would say the issue is not weakness or strength of immune systems, rather that north americans' immune systems are so...idle?...bored?...they start reacting to anything and everything eyes:

btw, immunocompromised individuals are less likely to have allergic reactions (if they are compromised accross the board...not true for hiv patients)

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 07:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Penicillin/amoxacillin. Mild hayfever some years. I think I am allergic because my mother is.

I have always thought that over sterilization and reduced variety in diet are part of the allergy problem. I was reading about yet another study where wild rats did not have allergies like lab rats while my daughter had a checkup the other day.

Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I'm allergic to certain kinds of pollen. I'm allergic also allergic to poison ivy and poison oak.
    I'm not allergic to any foods.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast