Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts

Solipsism

Solipsism

Solipsism (from Latin solus, meaning 'alone', and ipse, meaning 'self') is the philosophical idea that only one's mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist. This extreme position is claimed to be irrefutable, as the solipsist believes themselves to be the only true authority, all others being creations of their own mind.

This idea still appeals to me to this day. It's quite liberating on a certain level and there were a few years during my late teens & early 20's when I would have described myself as a 'solipsist' (..if I'd known that this was the word for it)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019 @ 12:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Child of God Empire Germany
    Richtungsweiser
    Politics
    WIR SIND MILLIONEN DU BIST EINER
    Religion
    Vollendete Blüte
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    This can easily be disproved: you feel pain / feelings, no imagination? Come visit me in Germany and I will give you a taste of how much I am real and true and not just a fancy on your part.

God / creator entity (if it gives it, it, it) imagines us. When he stops thinking, do we cease to exist?

Pilatus - Quid est veritas?

I am my father, I am my mother, my brother, my sister, my son, daughter. I created myself. I am my self You only a thought flash of my imagination, an aspect maybe, of my character.

So a few words, what I think of your words.

Ach...

If I open your eyes now, I stop sleeping / dreaming / thinking - Then I find myself in a weightlessness and in a dark. Right? So your logic?

Everything gone. Habit (Tolkiens Hobbit), Buildings, Sun, Moon and Stars ... An interesting setting, maybe we can keep on spinning.

Pilatus - Quid est veritas?

Oh .. So that's The Hell / Hela? The Helheim of Terra? The web is already very close to the truth. But no.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8s48YCu7ig
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    20 Minutes Ago @ 01:44 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scandinavian
    Ancestry
    East Norwegian + distant Finnish
    Subrace
    Nordid + reduced CM
    Y-DNA
    I1a1
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Occupation
    Traditional Craftsman
    Politics
    Family, Nation & Nature
    Religion
    Heathen Worldview
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    607 Posts
    “I suppose therefore that all things I see are illusions; I believe that nothing has ever existed of everything my lying memory tells me. I think I have no senses. I believe that body, shape, extension, motion, location are functions. What is there then that can be taken as true? Perhaps only this one thing, that nothing at all is certain.”

― René Descartes
    A nation is an organic thing, historically defined.
    A wave of passionate energy which unites past, present and future generations

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019 @ 12:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Child of God Empire Germany
    Richtungsweiser
    Politics
    WIR SIND MILLIONEN DU BIST EINER
    Religion
    Vollendete Blüte
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Wie Zitate, sagen Bilder manchmal mehr, als Eigenworte.
    Like quotes, sometimes pictures say more than own words.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6544321.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	114859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9909.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	114860  

Grand Member
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts
    Well, Nordmann, even meeting you in person would not disprove solipsism but, for quickness sake, I could just smack my head against a wall if I wanted to convince myself that things were ‘real’. Sure, pain, emotions and imagination all exist for ME but how can I be sure that they do for you too, or that you even exist yourself when I’m not interacting with you???

A lot of it ties in with quantum physics, actually. There’s a school of thought which claims that our minds create reality because nothing in the Universe is ‘physical’ in the strictest sense when considering the huge distances between each atom. These only materialise into objects when someone observes them, and without an observer these ‘objects’ simply cease to exist. In fact, the question as to whether or not a tree exists (and, by extension, the whole Universe) if nobody is there to observe it is an old philosophical one that pre-dates modern science.

Isn’t it the Buddhists who believe that we’re all a product of Buddha’s dreams? I haven’t checked this but I believe so. Again, it all loosely ties in with solipsism, as does does the above quote from René Descartes to which there is no logical rebuttal.

Fact is, you can try as hard as you like but you could never convince me 100% that you really exist outside of my own mind. Obviously, even if I was a silopsist (..as I once was for a while and still am, to some degree) I would still have to treat you as a real person or I’d be unable to function in any meaningful way within society, whether it was made up of illusions or not. The silopsist is not actually in control of any of this and this particular philosophy is just his/her interpretation of a seemingly absurd world.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post:

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    608 Posts
    Interesting, I wonder how or if it correlates to my belief in Self Reliance? The basic idea of Self Reliance is that if you try and come as close as you can to not relying on others that you and your people will remain intact. A good example of this would be the Amish or a Nationalist community were people who hold the same beliefs rely on themselves.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SpearBrave For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Cartesian doubt, as illustrated in the quote above, is not an example of solipsism though. It's a methodological doubt in order to gain true knowledge. From this starting position Descartes is able (at least he argues so) to also be sure about the existence of the outside world (res extensa). In the case of Buddhism it's exactly one's own mind that is not real. The ultimate reality is when you acknowledge that the self is illusionary as well. Perhaps buddhism is a universal solipsism.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bernhard For This Useful Post:

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts
    Cartesian doubt, as illustrated in the quote above, is not an example of solipsism though. It's a methodological doubt in order to gain true knowledge. From this starting position Descartes is able (at least he argues so) to also be sure about the existence of the outside world (res extensa). In the case of Buddhism it's exactly one's own mind that is not real. The ultimate reality is when you acknowledge that the self is illusionary as well. Perhaps buddhism is a universal solipsism.
    Well I did say these things were only loosely related but it's fun to play around with the ideas

Yes, Buddhism could perhaps be called "Reverse Solipsism" because we are the illusions and only Buddha is real.

I still prefer Ragnarok as my 'end-of-world' narrative though. We may know the final outcome but there's still an element of 'control' when you have a sword in your hand, whereas the thought of the lights going out at any moment when some fat bloke awakes from his sleep is scary as Hel!!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post:

Grand Member
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts
    Cartesian doubt, as illustrated in the quote above, is not an example of solipsism though.
    I agree. For some reason I was thinking of his "Je pense, donc je suis", aka "I think, therefore I am".

Did Žoreišar change the quote or is my mind playing tricks again ... but anyway, this ^ is more in keeping with solipsism.