Occupation
    Tree Wizard
    Religion
    Wotanist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In this age of utter ethnic, cultural, and spiritual catastrophe it could be hard to find any two that agree on anything. I remember laying in bed with my ( soon to be ) wife. We were talking about ghosts, other supernormal happenings , and God. Me coming from a wholeheartedly felt Nietzsche position where “God is Dead” ( there are no absolutes (Myth ( poetry interpreted as fact or poetry as poetry )) -beyond good and evil (Morality) -society/relationships founded on oaths only “those” who have the power to will every moment keep (Mankind surpassed).. ) I posed the question “ Is the Truth the Truth, or is my truth my truth and your truth your truth ? “ Her answer was the latter. She must be a Superwoman !!

Later,
    -Lyfing

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cythraul View Post
    Could you have a relationship with someone who has a vastly different spiritual belief system to you?

I've always found it strange when I see people in these kinds of relationships - particularly if one person is Christian and the other Hindu for example. How could you ever hope to raise a child in a sane manner when it is bombarded with conflicting religious views from both parents? How about a diehard atheist in love with a strict Catholic... could that ever be true love - in the sense that you absolutely, completely respect your partner?

I'm interested in everyone's views on this.
    I don't spiritual conflicts are serious issues. I have known quite a few mixed "spiritual" marriages. :eek::p. Catholic with Protestant, Protestant with Agnostic ect. My parents are both Catholics but my Dad barely goes to Church while my mom goes to church every Sunday. They have been happily married for 20+ years now.

Usually its a question of Dominance either that or Finances or dominance over finances rather.

When relationships don't work I feel its because two people never knew each other well enough in the first place, they had unrealistice expectations and idealisms about their partner and were never ready to make the sacrifices and compromises that need to be made if a relationship is to work.

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Could you have a relationship with someone who has a vastly different spiritual belief system to you?

Like others have already said, I think it would be nearly impossible, but I suppose degree of religiosity plays a role, too.

I've always found it strange when I see people in these kinds of relationships - particularly if one person is Christian and the other Hindu for example. How could you ever hope to raise a child in a sane manner when it is bombarded with conflicting religious views from both parents?
    That would be madness, in my opinion. For instance, for Catholics who wish to marry in the Church, such a marriage would require a dispensation (disparity of cult) from the local Bishop. The Catholic party would have to make a declaration and promise that any children born of the marriage would be baptised and raised in the Catholic faith.

Even when both spouses are Catholic, there are varying degrees of adherence and commitment to the Faith which can make raising a child challenging.

How about a diehard atheist in love with a strict Catholic... could that ever be true love - in the sense that you absolutely, completely respect your partner?

I think this scenario wouldn't advance very far if the Catholic possessed a well-informed conscience and actually practised the Faith, and not one who was just born into a predominantly Catholic culture or for whom Catholicism is merely an inherited part of cultural identity. I suspect the diehard atheist's interest would dissipate if there wasn't any prospect of premarital sex.
    “She could never be a saint, but she thought she could be a martyr if they killed her quick.”
    ― Flannery O'Connor

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alice For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 05:52 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Alsatian/Suevi
    Ancestry
    germanic/alsatian/Elsaesser
    Subrace
    Child of Creator God
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Married
    Occupation
    retired - Aerospace Quality Engi
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    Born again Christian,
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    491 Posts
    I have seen marriages fall apart because of religious beliefs, especially between Catholics and Protestants.
    Religious beliefs should be binding. My wife and I are both non-denominational.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to schwab For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 01:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,367 Posts
    No spiritual conflict in my marriage whatsoever.

My wife’s a Christian and I’m a Pagan and we just don’t believe each other’s fables, that’s all.

It depends how seriously you take this stuff, but why exclude maybe 50% of the opposite sex just because of differing religious views? It seems a bit daft to me, in the same way as it would be ridiculous to rule out a relationship with someone who supports another football team.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaxonPagan For This Useful Post:

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Daci, Suebi, Carpi
    Single adult
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heidin
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    It depends. I was in a relationship for more than 7 years with an Orthodox Christian, while I am a Heathen, and it worked out fine spiritually. But he was not dogmatic, he was also very open about polytheistic religions, being interested in Hinduism. When celebrating Christmas, for example, we were celebrating different things, but we were doing it together. We were also celebrating together solstices and equinoxes. I guess I could say he was a bit of a Heathen too, even though he considered himself a Christian. We had a spiritual relationship, because none of us was dogmatic, and we were both seeing the big picture, not being lost in too many details.

Spirituality is a very important part of my life, so it's important for me to be in a spiritual couple, and to share at least some believes and be tolerant enough one with each other about the others.
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Víđálfr For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12