Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

First-borns have higher IQ scores

First-borns have higher IQ scores

The child raised as the eldest in a family is likely to have a higher IQ than their siblings, research shows.

A Norwegian team found first born children and those who had lost elder siblings and had hence become the eldest, scored higher on intelligence.

The link, reported in Science, was found by looking at more than 250,000 male Norwegian conscripts.

Experts have disagreed for decades about how birth order might influence intellect and achievement.

Brainier

Supporters of the theory argue the eldest child gets more undivided attention from their parents from an early age.

Others claim differences occur in the womb before birth because with each subsequent pregnancy the mother produces higher levels of antibodies that may attack the foetal brain.

While others claim the relationship between birth order and intelligence is false, being biased by family size - historically, couples with lower IQs have tended to have more children than couples with higher IQs.

READ MORE
    "The heavenly motions... are nothing but a continuous song for several voices, perceived not by the ear but by the intellect,
    a figured music which sets landmarks
    in the immeasurable flow of time."

Last Online
    Thursday, October 15th, 2009 @ 08:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    Welsh/Scandinavian
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    student/Bar supervisor
    Politics
    mixed
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    "In addition, the tendency for first-borns to occupy the niche of a surrogate parent, and to take on the role of the conscientious, self-disciplined and mature sibling may also explain why first-borns have higher IQs," he said."

This last paragraph makes sense in my family my mother is the oldest of two Norwegian girls but her younger sister has the higher IQ, however as my mother went totally off the rails and started smoking and taking drugs at a young age, it was the younger sibling who took on this roll, personaly there is no way of checking as I'm the only one.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 13th, 2010 @ 01:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Extraterrestrial
    Ancestry
    Germany/Saxons
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Lower Saxony Lower Saxony
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Eventually it's just plain statistics and the avarage difference isn't really big anyways. In my family, it's the opposite for example and my brother a lot more immature, a lot less intelligent and so on although he's 6 years older than me. I know a lot of other examples of families like this and it eventually depends on the parents anyways but there's some truth in it though. I'd even advocate that the last born is more intelligent the middle born,too, since the first and the youngest usually get most attention.
    Ceterum censeo Iudaeam esse delendam.