View Poll Results: Which Germanic country/region has stayed most true to its heritage?

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Denmark

25 14.37%
  • The German lands (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg etc.)

30 17.24%
  • England

3 1.72%
  • Iceland

98 56.32%
  • The Netherlands/Flanders

10 5.75%
  • Norway

45 25.86%
  • Sweden

20 11.49%
  • Australia/NZ

6 3.45%
  • Canada

2 1.15%
  • South Africa

8 4.60%
  • The USA

6 3.45%
  • The Germanic Enclaves

19 10.92%
  • Other

13 7.47%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Germanic Nation Excels Presently/Has Stayed Truest to Its Heritage?

Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    German Empire German Empire
    Single adult
    Politics
    Reactionary
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Which Germanic Nation Excels Presently/Has Stayed Truest to Its Heritage?

Which Germanic nation excels presently?

Which Germanic nation state or ethnic region in a multi-lingual state in Europe do you think does well at the beginning of the 21st century? Consider economic stability and growth, levels of public debt as well as political mobilisation, lifestyle, cultural awareness and long-term prospects when motivating your choice. Refrain from fighting and no sour faces, please!

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 03:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Re: Which Germanic nation excels presently?

I would say that I'm not really qualified to give a definitive answer.

My gut feeling is that all those areas you mention are broadly at the same level. At one end of the spectrum the Nordic countries like their social-welfare model, at the other end the English like their cut-and-thrust free markets. The end result is probably the same, just different methods.

I do not know about the English compared to the Germans, for example. But compared to the French, the English visibly have more disposable income, they drive newer cars, have more money to spend on clothes (even if bad clothes), take more overseas holidays in the year, spend more on home appliances, electronics, etc. Not to mention that the value of English housing is much greater and they have a better (more sustainable) pensions system.

Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Reactionary
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although I suspect that Iceland and Denmark are also suitable candidates, my guess is that Flanders is the Germanic region in Europe that excels most. Having been one of the first areas on the continent undergo Industrial Revolution at the beginning of the 19th century, it is now one of the most dynamic areas in the whole world with one of the highest incomes per capital, mainly due to a modern economy with significant investments by many international companies. It is located at the heart of one of the world's most highly industrialised regions, and the economic centre of Belgium continues to shift further to Flanders since the 1970s. Presently Flemish productivity per capita is between 20 and 25 percent higher than that in neighbouring francophone Wallonia.

Among the OECD countries Flanders had the third-highest proportion of 18–21-year-olds enrolled in tertiary education, according to a study in 1999. It also scores exceptionally well in international comparative studies on education.

Since the founding of the Belgian state in 1831 the Flemish have gone through a remarkable development from relative unimportance to excellence in their struggle against the francophone-dominated Belgian regime. Despite its political isolation from the `Cordon Sanitaire´, Vlaams Belang, - founded as Vlaams Blok in 1979 -, which represents Flemish interests, now secures 25 to 40 percent in regional and local elections respectively.

The understated Flemish lifestyle – no doubt influenced by Catholicism and French culture - is much more cultured than German lifestyle. Flanders and its people have shown other formerly great Germanic nations that it is possible to live a dream and create something out of nothing.
    Last edited by Liberator Germaniae; Sunday, February 4th, 2007 at 06:29 PM.

Last Online
    Tuesday, March 27th, 2007 @ 08:52 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Germanic Paganism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Iceland...

Because it is the most genetically pure of all the Germanic countries.

P.S. I'm not sure on the genetic demographic in tiny countries such as Luxembourg or Liechtenstein...
    Though these are such small territories that they are comparable to provinces in larger nations of Europe.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 02:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Telecommunications
    Politics
    Libertarian/Neo-Imperialist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Euhesperides View Post
    Which Germanic nation excels presently?

Which Germanic nation state or ethnic region in a multi-lingual state in Europe do you think does well at the beginning of the 21st century? Consider economic stability and growth, levels of public debt as well as political mobilisation, lifestyle, cultural awareness and long-term prospects when motivating your choice. Refrain from fighting and no sour faces, please!
    As a student of linguistics, I can't help but view this question from that perspective.

I know you have asked us to consider economic stability and so forth, but considering the "long-term prospects" of the various Germanic nation states "in a multi-lingual state in Europe," I must say that at the moment, it looks like the English have the greatest advantage over the long term in a multilingual European state, since no other language enjoys the same prestige on a global scale as does the language of the English.

Of course, over time, World English will overpower even natural English itself; but in the meantime, the English will retain their ethnic language quite a bit longer than the other Germanic nations and will have the upper hand in all negotiations for linguistic reasons alone (if nothing else) until World English has completed its domination of the natural languages of the Germanic peoples.

Incidentally, where are the Faroese in this poll?

Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Single adult
    Politics
    Reactionary
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leofric View Post
    I had given it a thought because I knew this question would come up. For such cases the last option "Others" has been provided for, as there might be examples which are unknown to many of us.

Last Online
    4 Days Ago @ 11:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    53 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leofric View Post
    The way things are going, the Faroe Islands may end up being the only "Germanic" nation/territory left on Earth in the near future.

Luxenbourg & Switzerland are the most prosperous nations on Earth, so presently I would say they excel the most, but I'm more concerned with what the future holds.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, March 28th, 2007 @ 06:22 AM
    Subrace
    Don't know
    anarchy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The understated Flemish lifestyle – no doubt influenced by Catholicism and French culture - is much more cultured than German lifestyle. Flanders and its people have shown other formerly great Germanic nations that it is possible to live a dream and create something out of nothing
    I am Belgian and i don't find Belgians, including "Flemish" people (like me) as Germanic as lots of people would like us to be...

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 @ 10:48 AM
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Despite the miserable tax policy on behalf of the Labour regime, I have to say that England reigns as supreme and unrivaled against continental Europe. England has strongest growth figures which beats Germany, the previous economic motor in Europe, at any given day.

Iceland has comes with second spot. Icelandic investment banks seem to have out of nowhere with major investments all over Europe.

Swedish South-West Finland continues to set an example to the rest of the nordic countries as usually

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009 @ 11:53 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I voted:
    • (German) South Tyrol in Northern Italy - Lovely place with very few foreigners. I've been there a few years ago, I don't think much has changed.
    • Luxembourg - I've been there a few years ago and saw barely any foreigners; unless things have changed since then. It's place by the way, one of the best vacation experiences I've had so far, interestingly enough.
    • "Finnlandschweden", SW-Finland´s Swedish regions - I've never been there but I've heard it's 99% indigenous Germanic in places and quite ‘remote’ for most immigrants. So it sounds very good.
    • Iceland - Seems in very good shape, although even here third world foreigners are seeping into on some scale.
    • other
      • Padania [Northern Italy] as a whole - Except for Milan and the big(ger) cities, it's a very good place to live; very livable.
      • Fryslân/Friesland - I'd say it's the most livable place in the Netherlands. Except bigger cities like Leeuwarden. It's more or less my favorite province.

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast